Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

If you could have any car

Stevesixty7

On 21/11/2017 at 10:14 AM, TomsFocus said:

I'm nearly 26 now (where's the crying emoji? :sad::laugh: ), my insurance premiums dropped for the first few years but have gone up every year since 21! :ohmy:  I haven't had any accidents or points, now on 8yrs NCB.  It's a bit of a myth that they suddenly drop at certain ages, I don't know anyone who's insurance considerably dropped at those points.  

Wow, I thought it was just me!

23 now, for the past two years my premiums haven't gone done one bit despite having a completely clean record, and accumulating more NCB. Has been going UP!

How much is your premium? Mine is £626

11 hours ago, Incontro said:

23 now, for the past two years my premiums haven't gone done one bit despite having a completely clean record, and accumulating more NCB. Has been going UP!

When I was 17 I had a 1 litre petrol engine Peugeot 107 which costs £2k on insurance. A year later it dropped to £1080 which is about half. Second year later it only went down to £930. From that year I got my 1.6 diesel fiesta zetec s which I found insurance for £1270 from admiral. I'm 20 now and my third year renewal is in July and just hope it drops down a bit. 

I found newer cars are cheaper on insurance but who has over 6 - 10k to spend 

11 hours ago, Incontro said:

Around £450 back at the start of this year, but that does include the remap and I have a bad occupation for insurance premiums, do you live in a rough area or have a high mileage allowance?  Lowest I've ever paid was £320 aged 21 with a 6 year old 150bhp diesel Vectra C.  Bought the Focus totally standard aged 22 (and a half :laugh:) and the premium for that was already around £400 before the map.

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Around £450 back at the start of this year, but that does include the remap and I have a bad occupation for insurance premiums, do you live in a rough area or have a high mileage allowance?  Lowest I've ever paid was £320 aged 21 with a 6 year old 150bhp diesel Vectra C.  Bought the Focus totally standard aged 22 (and a half :laugh:) and the premium for that was already around £400 before the map.

What's your insurance? Adding just £50 on top for just a remap isn't bad. Lol I wonder how much they'd increase it for minor things like lights and stereo. 

57 minutes ago, zain611 said:

What's your insurance? Adding just £50 on top for just a remap isn't bad. Lol I wonder how much they'd increase it for minor things like lights and stereo. 

Admiral.  They do it by power percentage increase, so I had to make sure it wasn't too much (no chance of that with the rubbish injectors, turbo and clutch on these! :rolleyes:).   It cost a huge amount to declare the remap on my Peugeot 306 HDi before, as they mapped to 135bhp from 90bhp which is obviously a 50% increase...despite actually having less power overall than other cars I've had remapped!  They also don't like remaps so you have to put 'chip' instead, which isn't really right but I guess I'll find out if they class that as 'not declaring mod correctly' if I ever crash... :laugh: 

I've never declared an aftermarket stereo...tbh the thieves would be doing me a favour if some of the awful aftermarket stereos I've had got nicked!  :laugh:  Did declare angel eye headlights on the 306 as a visual mod though, barely cost anything and I was still in the teens at that point, maybe £15 extra.  They don't seem bothered by visuals.  Also declared lowering which didn't cost too much, was around £50 or so.

They wouldn't cover the turbo upgrade on the Golf though...or the intercooler upgrade...they don't seem to like power upgrades with younger people.  There was some miscommunication there as I phoned to check beforehand and was told it was fine...month or so later I'd fitted them so phoned to tell them and was told they wouldn't cover it...so I just kept them undeclared, I certainly wouldn't recommend it but the upgraded turbo was fitted as the old one had blown (and cost £300!) so I couldn't afford to change that or change insurance.  As I say, I certainly don't recommend not declaring stuff but I didn't really have a choice at that point.  It didn't last long anyway but I was glad to stop worrying about getting pulled after that.

I massively regret having the map done on the Focus, it causes such a pain for insurance because it's not modified enough for modified insurance but not standard enough for standard insurance.  I think it'll also make selling more hassle as well.   

I use admiral aswell. I try to do subtle upgrades such as I'm planning on installing door sill protectors. 

If I could have any car?  My dad's old mk3 2 tone 3L V6 Capri.  Twin webbers, kent cams, straight through 3" exhausts.  Or it would be my current 2 cars with no problems(concours spec) and done how I want them.  Or a Mk 3.5 RS

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Nope, pretty safe area, 10k mileage allowance.

I suspect it's down to one of three reasons:

(1) My car is expensive to insure (have no idea why it would be) - though this is the less likely option

(2) My background - as an Aussie I wasn't born in the UK, so have to put down that I've been residing here 7 years.

(3) Type of driver's licence - auto only. Despite the fact that I can drive manuals (spent ages practising on non-public roads in my dad's manual when younger), I dislike them, and sat the test in an auto, and hence got an auto only license. Even though I'll never buy a manual car, still do regret not getting a full manual license lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zain611 said:

When I was 17 I had a 1 litre petrol engine Peugeot 107 which costs £2k on insurance. A year later it dropped to £1080 which is about half. Second year later it only went down to £930. From that year I got my 1.6 diesel fiesta zetec s which I found insurance for £1270 from admiral. I'm 20 now and my third year renewal is in July and just hope it drops down a bit. 

I found newer cars are cheaper on insurance but who has over 6 - 10k to spend 

Yeh that just about describes my experience. Huge in first year, almost half in second year, and then subsequent years around about staying the same. It's a massive con.

Hearing all of these prices makes you realise why there's more uninsured drivers on the road now than before. False plates are another one that's getting bigger. Insurance is a massive con, if every other country can have car insurance for hundreds cheaper then why can't we? It's getting to the point that going uninsured is cheaper than doing it properly.

I love how it all gets blamed on young drivers, who basically pay for their whole car being written off twice in their first years insurance anyway. They charge young drivers so much and then halve it so that they think they're getting a great deal paying £700 for insurance compared to £1400 when they first started driving. 

• Like 2

I've found London to start overpricing things. Houses, insurance and products. I'd rather move outside London when I'm finished with my education and get a decent job as I know you can get more house with the money plus insurance is cheaper. 

10 hours ago, zain611 said:

I've found London to start overpricing things. Houses, insurance and products. I'd rather move outside London when I'm finished with my education and get a decent job as I know you can get more house with the money plus insurance is cheaper. 

Depends where you go...  Houses are much cheaper up North, but insurance often isn't due to the extra crime up there.  There are also fewer job opportunities, depending on the kind of career you're looking at.  South prices are still quite expensive, but get less the further you go from London.  Everywhere is expensive though, I'm struggling myself now, still on the same pay but bills and food etc have all massively risen recently in the same time.   :unsure: 

15 hours ago, Incontro said:

Nope, pretty safe area, 10k mileage allowance.

I suspect it's down to one of three reasons:

(1) My car is expensive to insure (have no idea why it would be) - though this is the less likely option

(2) My background - as an Aussie I wasn't born in the UK, so have to put down that I've been residing here 7 years.

(3) Type of driver's licence - auto only. Despite the fact that I can drive manuals (spent ages practising on non-public roads in my dad's manual when younger), I dislike them, and sat the test in an auto, and hence got an auto only license. Even though I'll never buy a manual car, still do regret not getting a full manual license lol.

That's a good point...  Auto's do tend to be in a higher insurance bracket than the same engined manuals.  One of the things they look at to determine the bracket originally is the part cost of the most common 20 (or so?) parts to need replacement.  If the gearbox is one of those then that would make sense.

I've been reading your posts in the wrong accent all this time... :laugh:  But yeah I guess not being UK born may not help, but as they still drive basically the same and on the left in Aus (albeit upside down...) that's gotta be better than coming from somewhere that doesn't really have any road rules.

I don't see that driving an auto on an auto only licence should make a difference though, a lot of older people crash autos getting the pedals mixed up but chances are they've probably got a manual licence for 50 years or so anyway...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking at a audi q7 but with the 6 litre v12 biturbo diesel engine. Looks nuts for a diesel 

Screenshot_20171208-230938.png

Screenshot_20171208-230952.png

If you could afford that you should get a RS cheaper new and top trumps it in every thing but bhp and torque

Sent from my iPhone

21 minutes ago, Philf1 said:

If you could afford that you should get a RS cheaper new and top trumps it in every thing but bhp and torque

Sent from my iPhone

I recently was looking at a Mercedes sl63 AMG (I think around 2013). 4.7 seconds to 60 and it's claimed 29mpg which is just 1mpg less than the q7. Road tax was around £590 which sounds nuts compared to me paying £30 on the fiesta. 

Honestly I'd like to have a car which is powerful than the majority of cars on the road so if I ever come across some silly person messing about then at least I have the power to get away from them. 

• Like 1

the title says "if you can have any car....."

no rules no limits no restrictions

so lets stop messing about with golfs and RS200s and get straight to business......

968573522.jpg.2ae3b14c2b0035ae42350631e35dd1e9.jpg

the new huracan   B-)

• Like 2

Nothing, really.  I don't have an ego to stroke, I don't care what the neighbours think, and because I never wasted money on a car loan in my life I was able to retire moderately comfortably at 47, and the fastest you can go is 70.

That said, I fancy a new Ecosport, but seeing as the Fusion still has only 64,000 miles at 12 years old I think I'll hold off a few years yet.

Having said that, I'm on the hunt for a Bimota to keep my V-Max and FZR company.  

Best you get a Bimota sharpish as they're getting dearer day by day since they stopped making them. Love the two bike you have tho.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club