Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Titanium X Estate

huwsparky

Hi guys, first post here!

Looking at getting a facelift MK4 Titanium X 2.0 Tdci, planning on looking at a few in the next week or two. Is there anything I should be looking out for as a starting point as for common, endive to repair faults? How do you find them from a reliability point of view?

Anyone know if the Titanium X comes with xenon's as standard? I thought they did but noticed a couple I've been looking at don't have the washers in the bumper. I had a Focus ST back in 2006 and the headlights were awesome, that's the only reason for asking!

Cheers for any help

Huw.

• Like 1

I think the Xenons were an option on the Titanium X, (standard on the Titanium X Sport) the standard would be the AFS headlight (projector type that swivels when you turn the steering wheel.

You should be able to find the sales brochures online to give you an idea on spec and options. Just have a Google.

• Like 2

Thanks for that. I did subsequently notice that the sport model had the jets in the bumper so figured that was probably the case. 

Shame the sport model mainly comes with the 2.2l which is renowned for being thirsty. For me, if it's gonna be a diesel, it's got to be economical. 

All I can say is that this is my first diesel car (and I wanted the Titanium X Sport model) and after reading that the 2.0 wasn't that economical, I decided on the 2.2. Over the 4 years (nearly) of ownership, it's averaged 40mpg, which I'm happy with. My journeys are mainly on minor A and B roads, Towns/villages at either end and some major A roads. 

My previous car was a ST24 which averaged 28mpg, but I had a LPG kit fitted and based on the fact that the cost of LPG is cheaper than petrol, it was calculated that the car was achieving an equivalent of 35mpg (something like that). I then worked out that if I bought a diesel car then it would need to achieve at least 38mpg to make my day to day running costs as close as possible. This was when diesel was 6 pence a litre more than petrol. So that's why I'm happy with 40mpg. 

My friend has a 2.0 diesel (163ps) Kuga and that has only averaged 41mpg. Not quite like for like but it gives you an idea. If you have a search on google for "mondeo 2.0 tdci fuel economy" or similar, you should find some more information (plenty of chat on this on the Talkford forum). I'm not trying to put you off a 2.0 but just making you aware of what I found. 

There are plenty of sport models with the 2.0 engine out there, 66 nationwide on Autotrader, though there are twice as many Titanium X models.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, to be honest I'd be happy with 40mpg as a minimum (perticulatly for 200bhp). Currently we have a B6 A4 1.9tdi which does just under 45mpg, more on a run. I do quite like the fact that a tank full can last up to 3 weeks!!

I think I may expand search to a Sport  as I really do like having HID lamps , until you've actually driven a car with good lighting you don't realise the difference it makes. I've seen a 2.0 TIT X which I may go and see Thursday so see how it goes with that.

Thanks

Anyway, ended up buying the first one I saw! 2011 160bhp in grey. Over the moon with it so far. Only niggle I managed to find was the passenger side window didn't one-shot open or close, and didn't close with global closure either although it does open. Strange, but hardly a deal breaker. May look into sortring this if it's an easy fix but see how it goes.

Body is tidy with very little in the way of scratches etc as Is the interior. I was actually quite shocked at the all round level of refinement. The wife will hopefully get used to the size of it quickly, fair bit bigger than a B6 A4 estate.

I don't know if the Mondy is the same as the Focus in that if the battery is/was disconnected the one touch close/global needs to be recalibrated, which if I remember correctly went something like this:

• Hold down the down switch until the window is fully lowered
  • Release the switch and then press down again for 5 seconds
  • Hold down the up switch until the window is fully raised
  • Release the switch  and then press up again for 5 seconds

I've not had to do it for a while but I'm pretty sure that is how it worked in a similar age Focus so worth having a good seeing as it's a potentially "free" solution! :biggrin:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

I don't know if the Mondy is the same as the Focus in that if the battery is/was disconnected the one touch close/global needs to be recalibrated, which if I remember correctly went something like this:

• Hold down the down switch until the window is fully lowered
  • Release the switch and then press down again for 5 seconds
  • Hold down the up switch until the window is fully raised
  • Release the switch  and then press up again for 5 seconds

I've not had to do it for a while but I'm pretty sure that is how it worked in a similar age Focus so worth having a good seeing as it's a potentially "free" solution! :biggrin:

Thanks for that. Worked a treat! :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, huwsparky said:

Thanks for that. Worked a treat! :smile:

No worries mate, plenty of people willing to try and help on here (and some with a LOT more knowledge than me!) @iantt @JW1982 :biggrin:

• Like 1