Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 mondeo start/stop problems

mattiep

Hi

I have a 2015 Mondeo Titanium 2.0tdi(x-pack) which has had a frustrating problem since I bought it. The start/stop system doesn't always work even though the correct temperature criteria is met and for the 2nd time since i've owned it the Heated front screen doesn't work. I know this is probably down to battery condition because every time i visit the dealer they charge the battery and everything works. On the last visit I asked why the battery was discharging and was told the charging system was fine. Its frustrating because there must be something not right but the dealer don't seem to want to investigate. The car is going in for the same fault again on monday but i'm guessing it'll be the same outcome.

Has anyone else suffered the same issue?

Thanks in advance

Matt

years ago I had a car where the battery would drain. The alternator seemed to charge fine but the problem was in the rectifier pack built into the back of the alternator. It was letting battery power leak back slowly through the alternator when left parked.  A rectifier pack is made up of diodes. A diode is like a valve and only lets power go one way and blocks it going in the opposite direction. I would tell them you want the alternator testing in such a way to see if power is leaking back through it when parked.  I have no idea what their reaction will be. 

You could disconnect the alternator every time you park and see if it makes a difference over time but it's not a practical solution

Thanks for the reply, I'll mention that to the dealer although I'm not holding my breath. They don't seem to want to investigate, in fact the customer service person just says his car does the same and its voltage drop. No one seems concerned why its dropping... I do 25 miles a day to work so it gets a reasonable run everyday. Shame really as I'm really pleased with the car other than these faults

• 2 weeks later...

I had this fault, dealer fitted a capacitor part (presume this hold some charge) but later fault came back, after a few visits I asked them to check battery and they fitted one on warranty, all ok again for a few months but fault came back. After complaining to Ford, it went back in and I think they adjusted a setting because it was ok for a while but the last 3 days no stopping again although it is very cold at moment?

Take it back and demand they look at it as you bought car with stop/start technology!

Hi, I have also an mk5 with this issue. A faulty battery caused this and a windscreen that wouldn't heat .

After placing a new battery, the S-S was still not working, for over 2 months , untill now it suddenly began to work,

and the conditions to work were not respected: safety belt was not on, outside temp was 0 degree, etc

Very strange

Im having s-s issues and heated front screen randomly working as well so im going to change the battery .

I have a 2015 Ecoboost Hatch 1.5 and would like to ask if there is anything to be weary of when changing the battery or is it just a straight forward swap .

Using Tayna website it says this will be suitable and the dimensions and post positions are correct ... its about 9mm taller but looking at the car it should fit.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/110-Enduroline-Car-Battery-P8478.html

Will there be any issues with the radio/nav or any of the cars systems ?

Thanks 

No serious issues. Just settings need to be done again, but that's quite normal.

So no issues with the radio or nav ? I should have the radio code as the car is Ford Direct so it should be there somewhere .

I have the SONY equipment, and SYNC 2, I do not need any code

Just changed my battery this morning for this one https://www.tayna.co.uk/Exide-110-AGM-Car-Battery-AGM800-EK800-P8200.html

Was easy to change and went for a run and straight away heated front screen worked and after 20 minute drive the stop - start kicked in when on my drive. 

I had the climate control off so my windscreen would mist up to check heated screen ... all good now .

• Like 2

Has a similar problem with a Focus Titanium 2012. It was all down to the battery. Interestingly, a battery on a 'brand new' Ford is only under warranty for one year, however if you have the battery replaced, with the same make of battery, it has a five year warranty. Who'd have thought it. I nearly had kittens when I was presented with the bill for the new battery, considering the last one I bought cost me £35...... a long time ago.

Just an update a week on ..... my heated screen works every time now and the stop-start has returned too .

In fact it stops so often its a pain in the ***** lol 

All good with a new battery .

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tempted by this myself Proz, getting frustrated in the mornings without the heated front screen...

13 hours ago, Kyutu said:

Tempted by this myself Proz, getting frustrated in the mornings without the heated front screen...

My heated windscreen now works every time ... and first thing in the morning .

Certainly been cured by the new battery .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
My heated windscreen now works every time ... and first thing in the morning .
Certainly been cured by the new battery .
Had exactly the same issue myself. Seems like unless the battery has an error code they won't replace it! First time they charged it overnight and that seemed to work for a while but came back again so managed to get the lease company to replace the battery and all ok so far...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

Evening everyone.i see that this topic is quite old but I've just purchased this week a 2015 titanium mondeo and its suffering the non working stop start and the front heated screen not working either. I can see from the previous comments that this could be down to battery condition but it's very helpful to have found people that have experienced the same faults as I now have.hopefully a new battery should fix this but I shall be back to update you.many thanks.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interested in any new thoughts on this as I have yet to go down this route with my MK5 1.5 Diesel yet. I recently left mine on charge overnight and neither the S/S nor the Screen work until I hook up my laptop and reset the BMS myself. But as always this would be a temporary solution until I finally get around to a new battery altogether. There's always that part of me that worries it will eventually stop worrying again though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My 2017 (66) Mk5 S/S is extremely inconsistent.   It was at the dealer when it was about 6 months old, they couldn't find any fault, but replaced the battery as there had been an apparent issue with batteries displaying no diagnostic fault, but not behaving properly.  S/S worked for a while after, but has since become irregular again.  I dont do as many miles as I used to, so I could put it down to that.  However I drove to Wales a year back, (surprisingly non stop), arrived in Wales encountered traffic and S/S would not engage.  I again reported it to the dealer who handed it back saying they couldn't find fault with it.

This week and last it seems to be behaving again, and the heated windscreen is working (havent had much cause to use it till recently) as well.  

The Ford dealer's Master Technician (or whatever his title is) told me in 2018 that the Ford version of S/S relies on a pretty complicated set of conditions being met, and that if he was honest, most of the Ford Techs dont fully understand them, so quite a lot of time issues go undiagnosed when reported because of lack of knowledge.  He did tell me that one sure fire way to engage it was if you are fruising on a motorway and start to slow down, flatten the accelerator briefly and that should make it kick in when you slow down.

Suffice to say, this doesnt always work!

Does anybody out there know the full set of conditions that have to be met for S/S to work?

My wife's Leon (63 plate) also has S/S and it works flawlessly every time.  Kind of embarrassing when my Mondeo (Ford's flagship car) cant be bothered 🙂

• Like 1

It seems that altho' Ford issue TSBs (Technical service Bulletins) on how to resolve problems, Ford main dealerships seem oblivious to them (or don't care) and so the info doesn't get disseminated down to the technicians at the sharp end. It's only if a customer does their own research out of frustration and can find a TSB that covers their problem does it get noticed (if they're lucky) 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I got my 2016 1.5 mondeo from Arnold Clark up at Clydebank just outside Glasgow about six months ago,  the s/s was not working when i collected it but it started to work the following day but the next day nothing so i went to Arnold Clark and explained and they told me that i am not doing enough miles in my car,and my heater was on and the air con and all that comes into effect regarding the computers in the car, the computer will turn off the s/s  so they said that all they could do is charge the battery for me so they kept the car overnight and when i picked it up the next day it was working, :( sadly only for four days and that was about five months ago. the service i received at this garage has been terrible they don't want to know or help me to get this problem resolved   

yours 

very angry Arnold Clark customer     

hi  firstly I have the  same car  15  2lt eco  now the battery fitted is not the right one   and I bought it from main agents  but  battery not in g tee   so I have been  charging  it up  every 3 weeks  now  been to  Halfords   found the one to fit  but is two long    but on line it said it was the one now there is a large cable over the end of battery  seat  so the one they recommend    the size  you want  175 h 175 w  285 l   the battery  they said would fit  317  mm long  and will go in   so  Halfords   have 96  the right  size  but I want  110   I have found on  net  at tanya  batteries  100  with  right  length  I would think your problem  is it is not a stop start  battery    must be now to work  right  oh Fords want £ 280   for one   Halfords £115 plus  £25  fitting  but now you can do it yourself  the radio  ect  will all reprogram  its  self   is  any help  sutty                                       

On 12/10/2017 at 10:03 PM, Proz said:

Im having s-s issues and heated front screen randomly working as well so im going to change the battery .

I have a 2015 Ecoboost Hatch 1.5 and would like to ask if there is anything to be weary of when changing the battery or is it just a straight forward swap .

Using Tayna website it says this will be suitable and the dimensions and post positions are correct ... its about 9mm taller but looking at the car it should fit.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/110-Enduroline-Car-Battery-P8478.html

Will there be any issues with the radio/nav or any of the cars systems ?

Thanks 

hi firstly  I have the same car  and  with  battery problems  I bought the car from main agents  but the battery is not in the g tee   now have a look in battery compartment  if it is like mine there is a large cable  where the battery has to go  and you can not  move it  you will  have to get a 175 h 175w 285 L  instead   of the one they      said would fit  oh the  radio will set itself   that's  good 

Edited by sutty
did not a not in where it said not in g tee

On 12/22/2017 at 3:41 PM, Proz said:

Just an update a week on ..... my heated screen works every time now and the stop-start has returned too .

In fact it stops so often its a pain in the ***** lol 

All good with a new battery .