Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlights. Traffic L/R setting plz help

james_60

Hi :)

What is this setting all about and is mine set properly

Jamie

20171121_211326.jpg

20171121_211331.jpg

It adjusts your headlights according to whether you are driving on the left hand side of the road or the right.

Have you not looked in the owners book?

• Like 2

The setting is for which side of the car you drive on and also for which side of the road. UK is right hand drive and EU continent is left hand drive.

*Beaten by Damian :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People flash at me even when i dont have main beam on. 

or is that because i have gas discharge headlights

Jamie

Just now, alexp999 said:

It should be on left hand as we drive on the left.

It's left hand traffic, not about where the steering wheel is.

Thanks Alex

I will change it to "Left"

:-) :w00t::w00t:

Jamie

its a little bit ambiguous that one, I mean, Traffic R/L could be taken for which side is the oncoming traffic on, to your left, or to your right, in which case it would be on the "Right" (of you) but I suspect Alex is right, its what side do you drive on

So does that change your actual pattern then? or just direct it a bit to the left or right of centre?

When you set it to left traffic from right, it dips the drivers side headlight slightly and pushes the passengers side up and left a bit.

Easiest thing is to park in front of a wall and fiddle, then it becomes more obvious.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

When you set it to left traffic from right, it dips the drivers side headlight slightly and pushes the passengers side up and left a bit.

Easiest thing is to park in front of a wall and fiddle, then it becomes more obvious.

Have you played with it in your car ?

Jamie

Just now, james_60 said:

Have you played with it in your car ?

Jamie

Yep. :)

Worth doing for your own peace of mind as I was confused when I first got the car.

I only just noticed it really. as i was curious as to why people were flashing at me.

p.s what page is it on in the manual ?

Jamie

16 hours ago, james_60 said:

I only just noticed it really. as i was curious as to why people were flashing at me.

p.s what page is it on in the manual ?

Jamie

I don't think it is in the owners manual, hence peoples confusion.  Just checked the latest Ford "online" version and couldn't find any mention of it.  FORD UK =  :wallbash:

• Haha 1

Have i made a discovery then.  can this be stickied

Jamie

yes/no ? i did make a discovery. its not in the manual. i was confused. as was most people here. 

its detriment to safety if messed with.

Jamie

• 1 month later...

We live on a Left Hand Drive Island, we drive ON THE LEFT not on the right so the lights should be switched to LHD. This does not mean we sit on the right with is were the confusion reigns. If you are still getting problems with the lights select LHD and then have the properly adjusted. 

3 minutes ago, Lars G said:

We live on a Left Hand Drive Island, we drive ON THE LEFT not on the right so the lights should be switched to LHD. This does not mean we sit on the right with is were the confusion reigns. If you are still getting problems with the lights select LHD and then have the properly adjusted. 

We drive Right Hand Drive cars on the left.

The setting is about the side of the road you are driving on, not the side of the car the steering wheel is on, simples :)

• Like 2

"British horseback riders used to ride on the left hand side of the road, thus keeping their right arm free to offer greetings to passersby or, if needs be, draw their sword. However, in The USA teamsters used to sit on the left hand horse while driving a wagon and therefore keep their right handfree for whipping "

Having moment of confusion...

• 10 months later...

You can see what it does if you park facing a wall at night. With the lights set to "left" the beam pattern should be flat on the right side with a diagonal kick-up to the left. This is the correct setting for the UK and Ireland as the kickup lights up road signs etc on the side of the road while the flat part on the right avoids dazzling oncoming traffic. With it set to "right" it will either be the opposite pattern or possibly a flat top on both sides. This is what you set when driving in Continental Europe instead of using the stick-on adapters.

If you use the wrong setting then the kickup goes the wrong way and annoys oncoming traffic, hence the flashing.

• 3 months later...

Hello. I was wondering if someone could please advise?

I have a Ford Focus Combi 2011 and have just changed a front bulb. Now however there is a gap (2-3 cm) between the light and the bumper.

I wouldnt want any rain water / snow to cause damage to the car. Can you please advise how to fix. The light Is fitted correctly and falls into place but it is quite worrying.

Thanks! I would be grateful for any advice!

Adam

• 6 months later...

So I what to upgrade my H7 headlights to LED's so got the LEDs with the error free link up for them work totally fine no errors but as soon as the engine is turned on the lights go off after a few seconds, can anyone help what am I missing ?? or is there a kit especially for the mk3 ??

• 4 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 8:09 PM, Danny19833 said:

So I what to upgrade my H7 headlights to LED's so got the LEDs with the error free link up for them work totally fine no errors but as soon as the engine is turned on the lights go off after a few seconds, can anyone help what am I missing ?? or is there a kit especially for the mk3 ??

That just sounds like they're cheap rubbish bulbs (faulty)

• 5 months later...

Took delivery of my car a few weeks ago. Only 42 miles on the clock and I haven't touched this setting; so this is how it came from the factory. I'm in England. Lol.

20200628_102205.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 10:28 AM, Nard said:

Took delivery of my car a few weeks ago. Only 42 miles on the clock and I haven't touched this setting; so this is how it came from the factory. I'm in England. Lol.

20200628_102205.jpg

Do you have Adaptive headlights? I don't and can't find this setting on my mk4 focus

On 6/28/2020 at 10:28 AM, Nard said:

20200628_102205.jpg

Is this option only available with Adaptive headlights? I have the mk4 st line X and can't find it anywhere.