Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Am I the only one who is meh about the MK8?

StripeyMiata

So I have a late 2014 Ford Fiesta Titanium X which we're very happy about apart from the £295 quote for third service.  But that's another story.

So my dealer invited me to the MK8 launch which my kids enjoyed (free Ice Cream) but I have to say I was quite underwhelmed by the car.  I just think the front styling boring although the new LED lights are cool at night.   The back is bland, just like squashed CMAX.   Side is like a MK7.5.

OK, the interior is a huge step up and I test drove the car and, well it drove like my car which is class leading as we all know so all good there.  Apart from one thing which was the move of the Cruise Control from the right hand side to the left which I hated.

My dealer obviously wanting a sale told me to come in and have a look at the new ST-Line.  And again... meh, what the have done with the ST-Line really hasn't made the car much more interesting to me.

Look, I know it's a great car and if you have bought a MK8 I wish you well.  But unless the Vignale or ST looks a lot more interesting I really don't think I'll get one, I'll stick with the MK7.5 or get a Focus instead.  I will stick with Ford anyway as I get Privilege discount.  If you look at my car history I am more of a heart than head guy lately when it comes to cars, and my heart isn't in the MK8.

Jonathan

Photos of the ST and Vignale have already been released.

The Mk8 is based off the same platform off the Mk7 so the side profile can't change much.

I think they've made all the improvements they needed to, while keeping the great to drive character.

Me personally I think the back end is the biggest improvement, and they've also tweaked the lines and pushed down the front to make it more car than wedge shape (back to more like Mk6).

The Focus is going to be no different, same platform, if anything it's growing more than the Fiesta has.

There has been a lot of mixed opinion about the Mk8 recently. Here's my two cents...

Negatives:
In my opinion the Mk8 is lacking a lot at the low budget end of the new Fiesta range, specifically in terms of exterior appearance. I agree with you that these low end cars almost look 'boring/bland', up to and including the titanium model (which is three grand more than the style!). Furthermore, the 'spectacles' that the new Fiesta has are just ridiculous. 

Positives:
I disagree with you about the ST-line (and future ST model). I think they look fantastic. The new front and rear bumpers to the ST-line model make the difference, along with other subtle changes such as the black window trim. Finally, the new (2018) Fiesta ST look awesome in my eyes. I also believe they have gone back to basics with it, making the ST a small, 3 door, 'training shoe' of a car! I mean, look!

ford_2017_fiesta_st_02.thumb.jpg.2fba4cc0ad724eba1f5b318118f4e4c3.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, dansallis said:

There has been a lot of mixed opinion about the Mk8 recently. Here's my two cents...

Negatives:
In my opinion the Mk8 is lacking a lot at the low budget end of the new Fiesta range, specifically in terms of exterior appearance. I agree with you that these low end cars almost look 'boring/bland', up to and including the titanium model (which is three grand more than the style!). Furthermore, the 'spectacles' that the new Fiesta has are just ridiculous. 

Positives:
I disagree with you about the ST-line (and future ST model). I think they look fantastic. The new front and rear bumpers to the ST-line model make the difference, along with other subtle changes such as the black window trim. Finally, the new (2018) Fiesta ST look awesome in my eyes. I also believe they have gone back to basics with it, making the ST a small, 3 door, 'training shoe' of a car! I mean, look!

ford_2017_fiesta_st_02.thumb.jpg.2fba4cc0ad724eba1f5b318118f4e4c3.jpg

I too love the look of the new ST, the RS inspired fog lights are one thing that sticks out to me and I love it.

The Mk8 looks a lot less training shoe than the Mk7 imo.

I'll be getting a 5dr ST though.

5 minutes ago, dansallis said:

Thanks for posting that picture.... I love it.  I would definaltly consider one of those.  Maybe it was because the ST-Line I saw was a five door, it just didn't gel with me as much as that picture you posted.  I know my current MK7.5 is 5 door but in TitX spect with the big wheels and chrome sides I think it looks well.

Jonathan

• Like 1

Not a fan of the grille, wheels look diabolical on that picture. Rear end is shocking, looks like the edge or whatever it's called, and that's just a cheap A to B car.

The thing that's put me off the new fiesta is the huge price increase. It looks ok, though a bit bland IMHO. To move to the St Line 125 from my Red Edition 140, which has higher spec, is nearly £90 more per month. I don't think it's worth it. I've just signed up to lease a new seat Ibiza fr which, again IMHO, is a far better and speced car.

I know what you all mean about the rear end. It does look especially dreary in the picture below (and that is the ST version!). It also definitely needs more of a spoiler on it.

ford-fiesta-st-web-2017-0571.thumb.jpg.9d92114d4db27f62997874cde0f3783b.jpg

It'll make the tuner gang happy that they have left the exhaust hanging out the back :biggrin:

2 hours ago, dansallis said:

I know what you all mean about the rear end. It does look especially dreary in the picture below (and that is the ST version!). It also definitely needs more of a spoiler on it.

ford-fiesta-st-web-2017-0571.thumb.jpg.9d92114d4db27f62997874cde0f3783b.jpg

It'll make the tuner gang happy that they have left the exhaust hanging out the back :biggrin:

I hadn't actually seen this view before but I definitely agree, I dont really like it at all.

The MK7's back end is much better and more sportier looking

ford-fiesta-st-road-test-14.jpg.d3d660f524ce9e690c0c2ad4d720b5f5.jpg

That photo is a really bad angle for the Mk8, I've seen spy shots of the ST test car in black and it looks awesome from the rear.

11 hours ago, ayrshiredude said:

The thing that's put me off the new fiesta is the huge price increase. It looks ok, though a bit bland IMHO. To move to the St Line 125 from my Red Edition 140, which has higher spec, is nearly £90 more per month. I don't think it's worth it. I've just signed up to lease a new seat Ibiza fr which, again IMHO, is a far better and speced car.

This is the problem with Ford at the moment, the cars are not cheap anymore.   If it wasn't for my discount I probably would consider another brand.

List price for my Titanium X was £18000, it was worth £8000 exactly two years later.  £10000 depreciation over two years on a Fiesta is scary.

Jonathan

8 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

No one pays list price for a Ford.

That's true :)

From what I recall there was £2000 off list as a dealer promotion, a extra £500 Ford promotion off on EcoBoost engines and then I got my employee discount on top of that, then £2000 for my FIAT Panda 100HP as tradein.

I do love my TitX, it's like driving around in a mini-fully loaded Mercedes S-Class.

Jonathan

I was seriously considering trading in my mk6.5 under the scrappage scheme and grabbing myself a mk8 just because they remind me more of the mk6. No offense to mk7/.5 but I never really liked them compared to the 6/.5.

I had to stop myself though because it would be too expensive for me (I'm a penny pincher). The new ST looks incredible although I do agree the back end needs a bigger spoiler. It kind of reminds me of a polo at the back don't know why...

Anyone seen this review of the mk8. Looks like you can get it with bang and olsun speakers 

20 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Looks like you can get it with bang and olsun speakers

Only if you choose an awful colour...  The B&O Play spec comes in either mint or copper... :yucky:

Seen quite a few of these now and I do like the shape of the DRLs...not much else so far lol!

8 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

B&O can be speccced on all but base model

I stand corrected!  It's a £300 option on other models.

So it seems the 'exclusive' part of the B&O play spec is actually the horrible colour... :unsure: 

Yeah you get the goo instead as the sub goes in the wheel well. You could always get your own spare to keep in the boot if you want both. 

Best to have a spare wheel. Speaking of which today I put my spare wheel on as one of the wheels is losing a bit of air and will take it to check its not caused by the rim. 

I needed another car for work after getting a new job...the mileage allowance per month pays for roughly two thirds of the car's monthly payments. I looked at the Mk 8 Zetec and the cost put me right off. Previously to that, I had already decided I didn't like the front as it reminded me of a Kia and the back looked like some bland, generic car that wouldn't catch anybody's attention. The inside is ok but again, the 'floating' screen was hugely distracting. 

I was considering the Seat Ibiza, however, on a trip to the Ford dealer, I found a Titanium Mk 7.5 in Deep Impact blue that was registered in December 2016 and priced at £10,000. Exactly the same as my white one bar the LED tail-lights on the newer one. So I took that one on a three year deal with a final payment just shy of £4000.

When the blue one goes, it will be time for a Focus, I think.