Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboost or 4 Pot?

sioneon

Hi all, looking to trade in an existing car we have for another fiesta, but a basic and early facelift version.

Is the difference in price between the 1.0 100ps and 1.25 worth it for a car that'll only be kept for 3 years max and used as 15 mile round trip taxi?

Anything to watch out for on 40k mile versions of either of the above?

I've got a 1.0 140ps and had a 1.25 but neither were near 40k miles and the 1.25 was too long ago to remember.

Any help appreciated, thanks

1.0 even in 100 guise is far superior to the 1.25 imo.

The turbo gives it good mid range and it makes a great noise.

It depends on your personal circumstance but consider the following to help you decide.

For fuel economy, don't expect fuel economy to be much better with the 1.0 than the 1.25
"Fiesta Zetec buyers who pick the 1.0 EcoBoost petrol engine over the cheaper, 1.25-litre petrol engine have to pay a premium of £1000. However, according to theFuel Cost Calculator, the fuel economy savings are slim, meaning it could take up to 52,857 miles to pay that premium off"

For reliability, I'd pick the 1.25. The 1.25 engines seem to be pretty tried and tested and seem to be reliable (With no turbo to go wrong too!) The 1.0 obviously a much newer engine. I've seen a few reports of issues cropping up on here, but nothing that would stop me from owning one. It is being used across the whole Ford range so Ford definitely seem confident in them!

For drivability, I'm sure you know already but the ecoboost is simply much better. It is much more torquey and doesn't need to be driven as hard. it's a nice quiet engine too when just driving normally, and still sounds pretty good when revving hard.

Do remember you'll probably get free tax with the ecoboost as well, whereas the 1.25 costs around £130.

I've owned a Fiesta with the 1.25, and one with the 1.0 ecoboost (125). The 1.0 engines are just brilliant! I remember having only slightly better fuel economy with the 1.25, but it's pretty impressive considering how much more power there is.

The 1.0 isn't that new now. It's been around for over 5 years.

They're pretty on top of the reliability. It was mainly just coolant issues on early engines due to the higher operating temps.

All engines now have auxillary coolant pumps as standard, they've added extra sensors in new engines and they've fixed the brittle pipe issue on the focus.

• Like 1

Cheers, I do love the ecoboost, just wasn't sure if the 'premium' on a five year old commute-mobile would be worth it in the end, it would likely only be had for 25k miles.

Any things to look out for on 5 year old or mid life engines for both as maintenance needs to be taken into account?

In normal driving circumstances I would definitely go for the 1.0 ecoboost since it is a fantastic little engine! If you go for one of the facelift versions, I would advise steering clear of the 2013 models since the 1.0 ecoboost had only been around for 1 year then and all the major issues may not have been fixed (e.g. turbo cooling pipes).

Because you are only doing 15 miles a day, you wouldn't see an increase in fuel economy with the 1.0 ecoboost because I have noticed its' MPG are quite low when cold. I cannot say if this is the case for the 1.25 though. 

Just as a side note, I have a friend who recently bought a 1.25, and he wishes every day that he had bought the 1.0. Food for thought.

• Thanks 1

depends who will be driving it. If I was buying a car for my wife (some people will say I am being sexist) I would buy the cheaper 1.25.  She only drives around locally where speed limit is 30/40 and she would not appreciate the difference. The ecoboost would be wasted on her. The 1.25 has more proven reliability / easier maintenance and cheaper insurance (but higher road tax I think)

When I had  a 1.6tdci fiesta and she drove it occasionally she complained it was a bit fast. At present she drives a Mazda2 , 1.35 litres, 82bhp .

If you did go for a 1.25 basic Fiesta check carefully  there were some 60ps versions (rather than 82ps)

25 minutes ago, Tiexen said:

If you did go for a 1.25 basic Fiesta check carefully  there were some 60ps versions (rather than 82ps)

There is also a 1.0 non turbo with around 80bhp - I keep seeing these cheap used before noticing they're not EcoBoosts! :rolleyes: 

weve got the 1.0 80bhp non turbo (63 reg) and its basically on a par horsepower wise to the 1.25 but cheaper to run plus the added bonus of free tax. weve had it since new and its now coming onto 30k so they do seem pretty reliable.

I would get the EcoBoost, I have owned cars with both engines and the EcoBoost is far better.  Don't expect to get anywhere near the advertised 65MPG though.

Jonathan

• Like 1

Hi, when looking for a fiesta, i test drove the 1.25 and the 1.0 ecoboost, took the same route on both

drives, (up long hill) aproached hill in 5th in 1.25 at 50mph and the speed dropped and had to change down to 4th, same run in

1.0 and engine incresed in speed !!! 1.0 ecoboost for me every time! If you dont mind paying extra cash!! 

My last Fiesta was a 1.4 and I now have the 1 litre Ecoboost.   The 1 litre wins hands down.

Having owned 2 1.25 and 2 1.0 ecoboost 125 the ecoboost wins every time. Real life fuel consumption is similar but the ecoboost has a he'll of a lot more power and free tax to boot.

• Thanks 1

On 23/11/2017 at 8:22 AM, isetta said:

She only drives around locally where speed limit is 30/40 and she would not appreciate the difference. The ecoboost would be wasted on her. The 1.25 has more proven reliability / easier maintenance and cheaper insurance (but higher road tax I think)

My 1.25 (facelift) is only £30 tax.

great little car, and if needed to it can still get up to speed and hold it easily enough.

Persoanlly, I would say 1.25 as I’ve never seen any major issues come up, but the 1 litre eco boost I have seen a fair few regarding coolant issues, oil issues and also rust.

I have two 1.0 Ecoboost Fiestas and the engines are smooth, gutsy and sound very nice when I do 50 mph in third gear to overtake. 

If you're still considering. I own the 1.25. I feels pretty slow tbh in the mid range. But I think it is more reliable than the 1.0 engine as I heard that I fails really quickly when coolant leaks.

I like my 1.25, but I'd like it to be a little bit faster. I think the 100hp model would be really good.

It's just meant to be a car for 2/3 years until got some more cash and need something bigger.

I'm still trying to weigh up whether a 40-50k ecoboost is going to be expensive to maintain