Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2009 1.6 timing belt - threadlock bolts?

monkey×wrench

Hi,

i'm doing the timing belt on my Focus (1.6 100hp) - Haynes and ETIS mentions nothing about it,
but do you folk apply loctite ( i have the blue one) on crankshaft, waterpump, waterpump pulley and tensioner bolts? If so, how much?

The torque for crankshaft bolt is 40Nm (29,5 lb ft) + 90° ... seems a little low for a keyless design? I really wouldn't want it to come loose....:)

Thanks a bunch!

Not sure what the torque setting is for the crank bolt but I know there are different length bolts, so you need to make sure you have the correct size bolt.   The torque setting you state sounds low I would double check this from another source before proceeding otherwise you will be taking the head off to replace the valves.

thanks,

i checked it; Haynes & Ford worshop manual say the same : 40nm + 90°. I guess that 90° turn is gonna be a the tough one..

Hi,

is it necessary to execute the 90° turn in one continuous move? i don't have enough clearance and i'm not sure i can raise the car enough with what i've got

44 minutes ago, monkey×wrench said:

Hi,

is it necessary to execute the 90° turn in one continuous move? i don't have enough clearance and i'm not sure i can raise the car enough with what i've got

No, two 45s or whatever will be fine, as long as it ends up in the right place.  

16 hours ago, monkey×wrench said:

thanks,

i checked it; Haynes & Ford worshop manual say the same : 40nm + 90°. I guess that 90° turn is gonna be a the tough one..

I have ordered a paint marker, so when i come to angle-torque the bolt I will mark the bolt/socket so I know how far it has turned.

2 hours ago, Micro said:

I have ordered a paint marker, so when i come to angle-torque the bolt I will mark the bolt/socket so I know how far it has turned.

A scratch on the bolt is all you need, just something for reference. 

• Like 1