Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Get a steering lock now

Stoney871

Frightening how quickly crooks can circumnavigate security features.

The devices can receive signals through walls, doors and windows, but not metal.

You could just chuck your keys in a closed baccy tin to save your 30 grand Merc! :wink:

Do people still have baccy tins?  Is there a vape equivalent? :whistling:

On a serious note though, you can get small lined pouches to keep keyless key fobs in for this reason.

I still don't see the attraction of keyless entry...you still have to hold the handle anyway so why not the key fob as well?  If the door automatically opened as you got there I could understand but it doesn't, you don't save any time or have a spare hand... :unsure:

• Like 1

im slightly worried.

my car was not locked this morning.

I know i locked it.

Keys were in my living room and car parked in front of the said window.

Im putting them in a tin tonight

Jamie

Current car doesn't have keyless entry but I'm sure next one will, very worrying...

• Like 1

Probably mentioned it brfore but I'll repeat it here as it's on topic-

I use a metal key locker, inexpensive but serves the purpose.

I also have a key tester (IR & RF) for helping to diagnose faulty RCL circuits / TV remotes for friends & family.

A keyfree keyfob gives out a low level RF signal pulse that is detected by the car unlike standard RCL keys which only work when buttons are pressed.

I have tested my keys whilst inside the key locker and all signals are blocked and unhackable from point blank range, thetester has a magnet on it so was stuck straight onto the locker.

At the least every keyfree car driver should buy a key locker and position it as far from where the car is parked as is possible within your property.

Get into the habit of placing your car keys inside AND closing the locker & you will vastly reduce the risks.

Compare the price of an inexpensive key locker from B&Q compared to losing your pride and joy and it's a no brainer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stoney871 said:

Probably mentioned it brfore but I'll repeat it here as it's on topic-
I use a metal key locker, inexpensive but serves the purpose.
I also have a key tester (IR & RF) for helping to diagnose faulty RCL circuits / TV remotes for friends & family.
A keyfree keyfob gives out a low level RF signal pulse that is detected by the car unlike standard RCL keys which only work when buttons are pressed.
I have tested my keys whilst inside the key locker and all signals are blocked and unhackable from point blank range, thetester has a magnet on it so was stuck straight onto the locker.
At the least every keyfree car driver should buy a key locker and position it as far from where the car is parked as is possible within your property.
Get into the habit of olacing your car keys inside AND closing the locker & you will vastly reduce the risks.
Compare the price of an inexpensive key locker from B&Q compared to losing your pride and joy and it's a no brainer.

Could you point me to a key locker on eBay please.

I wish to purchase one now.

Thankyou :-)

Jamie

You might have an existing tin that will work as a Faraday cage (that's the principal on how they block radio signals).

I used on old lidded tin, just stick keys in it and tried to unlock the car. Wouldn't do it.

I put my keys in the tin as soon as I get inside.

Also this isn't a new type of theft. It's been around for a good few years since keyless has been on cars.

• Like 2

Could you point me to a key locker on ebay please.
I wish to purchase one now.
Thankyou :-)
Jamie
The same as my cabinet-
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F390795409556

You might have an existing tin that will work as a Faraday cage (that's the principal on how they block radio signals).

I used on old lidded tin, just stick keys in at and tried to unlock the car. Wouldn't do it.

I put my keys in the tin as soon as I get inside.

Also this isn't a new type of theft. It's been around for a good few years since keyless has been on cars.

Agreed it isn't a new phenomenon but I believe the video helps to show that it's not about disabling obd ports or windows being smashed.

Easily available electronic devices are all that is needed.

• Like 1

It's why I'm not a fan of keyless entry.

Even keyless start is vulnerable to this, however they're likely to set off the alarm trying to get it open intially.

• Like 1

It has to be pickled onion monster munch though, quavers will also do it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On a serious note though, at some point, if not already there will be transmitters and range extenders small enough to put in your pocket. That way a thief could walk along side you as you walk away from your car, asking you for directions etc and their pal is at your car opening the door and starting your engine. That’s got to be something that’s entirely possible??

I would suggest a pouch for your key that you take everywhere and always put your key into. Then at home the key and pouch both go straight into the tin at home.

Also, and I bet this will catch some people out. DONT FORGET TO SHIELD YOUR SPARE KEY if it is not used by the other half and stays in the ‘car file’.

• Like 1

It doesn't have to cost the earth to protect your car.

Park under street lights, not in quiet lanes or cul-de-sacs, if there is local cctv coverage (shops, council, even neighbours private systems) and protect your keys then you are less likely to be picked.

A decent steering/handbrake/pedal lock will put potential thieves off even more.

On private driveways consider security lighting and locking bollards/chains/gates.

A little thought & effort can save you a lot of aggravation and calls to your insurance company.

It's rarely little hoods wanting a joyride anymore but organised gangs with the savvy to utilise electronic means to spirit your car away.

Joyriders will generally target older cars with less sophisticated means, they just want to go hooning around in someones older Fiesta and dump it when pinged or when the fuel runs out, real car thieves will sneak the car away and want to leave no signs to follow while they dump it somewhere and sit on it until they are sure there is no tracker on it, then it's away in a shipping container or stripped and sold on eBay.

Anyone would think you had a working knowledge of Car crime Clive [emoji6]

• Like 1

Anyone would think you had a working knowledge of Car crime Clive [emoji6]

[emoji41]

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club