Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car pulling to the left after new tyres, & wheel alignment

shiv.g

Hi

Hope someone can help me out, I have a ford focus 2013 plate ecoboast 182bhp.  I have just replaced it with 2 brand new tyres Pirelli cinturato p7.  I've had the wheel alignment done, the problem is my car is pulling to the left, even when I have the steering wheel straight it goes to the left, I have taken it back 3 times to the garage and they keep adjusting the wheel alignment.  on the 3rd occasion they said its the tracking rods, so they changed them and guess what still pulling to the left.  Basically Formula 1 (in Leicester) have turned around and said they don't know why its still happening and said take it to Ford.  Has anybody else experienced this and if so was there any fix to it.  cheesed off is an understatement as I've nearly spent close to £300 including tyres, wheel alignment and track rods.  Any Help would be much appreciated.

I assume it was pulling before the tyres and tracking were done?  Have you hit any kerbs or potholes hard lately?

F1 do a full alignment check so is there any excess camber on the left?  Is rear toe still in tolerance?

Brake sticking on that side?

Hi thanks for your comments, it was pulling to the left just slightly, but with the new tyres it's pulling more, haven't hit a kerb or any potholes.they said they checked the back and said it was fine.

I don't think the brake is sticking otherwise I would have noticed it on my previous tyres.

Is it actually pulling (do you end up heading towards to the kerb if you let go of the steering wheel?), or does it go straight ahead but with the steering wheel off centre?

Also does this happen all the time or only when you're accelerating or braking?

As soon as you let go of the steering it want to find the kerb.  i haven't noticed pulling when i hit the brakes, also happens when i accelerate have to keep correcting it.

Ok, I wondered if it was just torque steer and worse with the new tyres not bedded in yet but it's not that if it happens all the time.  Brakes sound ok as well.  I'm not sure if the Pirellis are directional, but it might be worth checking they're fitted the correct way, some have 'outside/inside' others have 'left/right' written somewhere on the sidewall.

Really the only thing left is the suspension geometry, if nothings bent or worn, that only leaves the toe adjustment on the track rods unfortunately.  Could you post a picture of the F1 alignment sheet?

thanks again for the input, unfortunately they didn't give me the alignment sheet, but i did take it to quick fit, where they have the laser alignment and they said its pretty bang on..  

The guy did say if my suspension was out the computer would pick it up.  I am going to take it to ford to see what they think.  

Just to add a half-relevant experience to the 'pot'. I had a new 1.2TSI Fabia Monte Carlo 3 or 4 years back with a similar, deeply frustrating problem. Had it checked three times; 'no problem found sir' etc etc. Eventually traced to tyres! It had Dunlop SP-Sport Maxx fitted as O.E. Reports of the problem eventually filtered through and Skoda, I believe in some instances, changed the tyres to the equivalent Pirelli's; I think F.O.C. (?) which solved the matter in a kind of bizarre way! I Was also told (the bleeding obvious!) that the Fabia of the time was essentially a family car not really suited/developed for having such wide, low-profile rubber fitted ie, not an ideal scenario. A-run out model tarted up to clear. So, I personally I ran it a while longer with n/s tyres slightly over-inflated and o/s the opposite! Totally disillusioned and disinterested I soon sold it when I also increasingly realised that its lack of power and performance was also a distinct embarrassment what with all its 'flashy' appearance and pretensions that could not be fulfilled by a distinct lack of any oooomph. The Interior (dash) was also deadly dull whilst the whole caboodle had zero character. It taught me a valuable if very painful and expensive lesson! Don't buy on impulse, hope or false expectations! Good luck in finding a solution. I know exactly how you must feel.  

Those pirellis are asymmetrical, have you checked they are both on the correct way round?

Also worth checking your other tyres to make sure they are correct.