Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonnet Repair

EddyOS

First off, sorry if this is the wrong place!

I got my Focus just under a month ago and my wife managed to go into the back of someone at low speed, causing the front lip of the bonnet to bend inwards just above the Ford badge on the front grill (but didn't damage the lock, thankfully). We went to the insurance-approved garage for an estimate and they have said it needs a whole new front end but didn't even open the bonnet so that's a load of rubbish! Had my usual garage take a look and it needs a new/repaired bonnet and a new O/S headlight (headlight clip nearest the grill has snapped off but only moves about a CM if wiggled).

My question is does it look like it needs a new bonnet or can it be repaired/painted as is (ignore the number plate/few dings on the bumper and the fact there's a crease on the outside - that was there when I got it, not fussed about that)?

IMG_1123.JPG

Edited by EddyOS
Removed number plate!

I am sure that could be repaired. but so many places don't want to repair stuff these days, they just want to put a new part on it. I assume non-ford bonnets are available, but if you have a new one of those it might not last as long as the original (might have rust perforation quicker than a genuine one). Also the number of people with real repair skills in diminishing - it's all about charging more to bolt new parts on when it does not really need a new part and dumbing down of real skills.

I would have thought a small backstreet place with an older work force would be more likely to repair it as they know how. Not sure how many of these are around these days. probably loads of them driven out of business by environmental rules where they don't let you produce a cloud of thinners based cellulose to waft up the road any more.

will this affect your NCD?  have you got the third party claiming against you anyway?

If this was my car, as it's 2006 and not pristine anyway, I would probably leave the damage as is and live with it.

The bonnet is double skinned so you won't be able to get to the inside to knock the dent out.  Needs replacing tbh. 

Must be loads of mk2 Focus' in scrap yards though...  Just get any colour for now and have it sprayed when you can afford to.

The bonnet needs to be securely closed (double catch) for MOT purposes so that's the priority really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

The bonnet is double skinned so you won't be able to get to the inside to knock the dent out.  Needs replacing tbh. 

Must be loads of mk2 Focus' in scrap yards though...  Just get any colour for now and have it sprayed when you can afford to.

The bonnet needs to be securely closed (double catch) for MOT purposes so that's the priority really.

£30 should get you a used one off eBay in the right colour although you might have to go and collect it as most scrappies don't "post" items that are so bulky/awkward.

• Like 1

If you can’t get 1 in the right colour why not carbon wrap it.

2 hours ago, Nicholls0601 said:

If you can’t get 1 in the right colour why not carbon wrap it.

There are numerous ones on eBay in the right colour,  for the Op I guess it comes down to distance/transport in terms of picking one up.

It's literally just the front lip that's bent back, the bonnet itself is otherwise fine and it opens/closes without issue. I have seen other bonnets my colour (Tonic Blue) on eBay/scrappies but finding one that's not got other dinks is proving a bit problematic. I might have to just accept a few marks or (as said above) get one a different colour and get it sprayed.

Main thing is the car is not a total loss (had 2nd assessor round this morning) so can now sort it out...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club