Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What Is It? Part 2.

Turvey

Part 2 in an occasional series of (in my opinion) interesting finds. 

This was found in a skip bound for incineration and I thought it too worthy of such fate! 

So, what do you think it is? 

IMG_20171129_191856986.jpg

IMG_20171129_191907770.jpg

IMG_20171129_191927600.jpg

First thought was a toilet plunger... :laugh:

Grape squasher for making wine?

Clothes washing dolly?

• Like 1

Dolly tube plunger. When my nan used to do the washing in a galvanized washing tub.

• Like 1

Both correct 😁 

It's marked as a 'Vacuum Washer' patented 1903! Images of burly women doing the weekly wash in the communal wash rooms and skulleries up and down the land. 

Mrs Turvey wasn't amused when I said I had bought her a new washing machine :biggrin:

• Haha 2

Are you one of these people who go to the dump and then return home with more than they went with lol. Some good and unusual things to be found in skips though, and one day you may find something of worth [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Without giving too much away, I work in the trade shall we say :wink: 

As you say, there's good stuff being chucked out every day. We're becoming too much of a throwaway society. Perfectly good serviceable items that I would have killed for (slight exaggeration) when we were setting up our first home. TVs being chucked because they're 'too small' or not smart enough etc Hoovers chucked with the only thing wrong with them is the filters are blocked!

I like rescuing the older stuff though as well. I think it's good to show the kids that maybe their lives today aren't so bad after all. :wink:

Completely agree, although it’s not just a case of people binning stuff a lot of the time. Charities can’t/won’t take electrical items anymore due to Health and Safety laws. And I wouldn’t have believed this one if I hadn’t seen it myself but some people who are in the market for such second hand goods are too fussy! People actually refuse stuff for the same reasons you have stated, TV is too small or the toaster only does 2 slices and there are 4 of us?? It beggars belief. I once put a 2yr old sofa on ‘free cycle’ and the only reason for getting rid of it was that it was too low for me following a back ‘injury’. I had 3 people interested in the first week, one person said that it was ‘the wrong shade of grey’ another guy said that ‘it didn’t come with the original scatter cushions’ and the third couple said they would only have it if I delivered it!! I ended up giving it to the BHF who actually paid me for it (albeit a small amount) because they couldn’t take it for free but that was fine because they would sell it for much more and then put the extra to the charity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

As you say, there's good stuff being chucked out every day. We're becoming too much of a throwaway society. Perfectly good serviceable items that I would have killed for (slight exaggeration) when we were setting up our first home. TVs being chucked because they're 'too small' or not smart enough etc Hoovers chucked with the only thing wrong with them is the filters are blocked!

I'll give everything a go. Nothings broken until i've taken it to bits and made damn sure.

Washing machine made a huge bang and started walking around the kitchen. Turned out that the weight had broken itself into little pieces - after trying every spares place possible (and cringing at £40 for a bit of concrete), toying with making my own, eventually found a chap who deals with washers in the trade. He had a spare weight from a donor machine - free.

6 weeks later same said machine starts its programs and counts down, but the drum wouldn't spin. £15 later for some brushes (from same said chap!) and washing machines now going strong again. That is two occasions that I imagine that machine would have been thrown away and a new one obtained.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Turvey said:

Time is a big factor in what gets thrown away tbh.  My Nan and grandad were antiques dealers back in the day...and as such were hoarders even after retiring.  After my Grandad passed I spent weekends trying to clear stuff out, either to charity, to auction or the tip.  But then my Nan became ill, she could no longer stay in a cold draughty cottage with stairs and had to be moved to a small flat...within a month!  Now I don't know if you've tried to get 8 large rooms, plus loft, gardens and sheds all into a small 1 bed flat but it's just not gonna happen! :laugh: 

We had many skips, many trips to the dump, I sold a load on eBay and gumtree and at the end of the month I had the BHF come round to take the rest for FREE...  But they declined most of it!!  Not perfect condition, not up to modern fire regs, can't take certain electricals, not fasionable etc etc...  Can't even give stuff away! :unsure:  So that became a final few more trips to and from the dump with items that I would've thought were useful to someone!

I must admit, I don't tend to fix items much now, I find as soon as one thing breaks, it becomes a constant repair cycle with other things breaking every month afterwards.  But I don't throw things unless they're properly broken, and even then I try to recycle as much as possible, or sell items spares/repairs for someone else to make use of. :smile: 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I once put a 2yr old sofa on ‘free cycle’ and the only reason for getting rid of it was that it was too low for me following a back ‘injury’. I had 3 people interested in the first week, one person said that it was ‘the wrong shade of grey’ another guy said that ‘it didn’t come with the original scatter cushions’ and the third couple said they would only have it if I delivered it!! 

We get that up here, we sold a small table for a tenner and the person buying it wanted us to deliver it about 10 miles out in the country!

21 hours ago, Micro said:

I'll give everything a go. Nothings broken until i've taken it to bits and made damn sure.

Washing machine made a huge bang and started walking around the kitchen. Turned out that the weight had broken itself into little pieces - after trying every spares place possible (and cringing at £40 for a bit of concrete), toying with making my own, eventually found a chap who deals with washers in the trade. He had a spare weight from a donor machine - free.

6 weeks later same said machine starts its programs and counts down, but the drum wouldn't spin. £15 later for some brushes (from same said chap!) and washing machines now going strong again. That is two occasions that I imagine that machine would have been thrown away and a new one obtained.

Man after my own heart :wink: our machine started doing silly things mid-cycle, Googled the fault, diagnosed worn brushes, ordered new ones and fitted after watching a YouTube video. Still going strong 3 years later (kiss of death, it'll really break next week!) 

11 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Time is a big factor in what gets thrown away tbh.  My Nan and grandad were antiques dealers back in the day...and as such were hoarders even after retiring.  After my Grandad passed I spent weekends trying to clear stuff out, either to charity, to auction or the tip.  But then my Nan became ill, she could no longer stay in a cold draughty cottage with stairs and had to be moved to a small flat...within a month!  Now I don't know if you've tried to get 8 large rooms, plus loft, gardens and sheds all into a small 1 bed flat but it's just not gonna happen! :laugh: 

We had many skips, many trips to the dump, I sold a load on ebay and gumtree and at the end of the month I had the BHF come round to take the rest for FREE...  But they declined most of it!!  Not perfect condition, not up to modern fire regs, can't take certain electricals, not fasionable etc etc...  Can't even give stuff away! :unsure:  So that became a final few more trips to and from the dump with items that I would've thought were useful to someone!

I see that quite regularly up here :sad: being a small community you kinda know most folk and know when there's a house clearance. I think the timescale for clearing a council house is about a week, which seems a bit unfair and harsh on the deceased's family at such a difficult time. 

. That is two occasions that I imagine that machine would have been thrown away and a new one obtained.

Id like to be allowed to take things to bits but after my last disaster involving a hoover and small screwdriver I’ve been banned.

It wouldn’t be two occasions in my house, after the first breakdown it would be gone so wouldn’t develop the second fault lol

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

Id like to be allowed to take things to bits but after my last disaster involving a hoover and small screwdriver I’ve been banned.
It wouldn’t be two occasions in my house, after the first breakdown it would be gone so wouldn’t develop the second fault lol

Mother did ask what the point of keep repairing it would be. Somehow we then got onto the subject of triggers broom...

I tend to only take things to bits that are already broken - although I do like to see how stuff works (like my rechargable torch - to make sure it had some lithium protection in it before leaving it in my car). TV's are much friendlier now they dont have that big HT wire with 0000s of volts :biggrin:

He’s had the same broom since he started the job.

When I take things apart there’s one thing you can be sure of, it will be broken when I put it back together, regardless of wether it worked before or not lol

My TV broke last month ☹️ we had sound but no picture so I think the LED screen had broken, it wasn’t cost effective to replace it though so I got myself a decent 55” 4K

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

....... it wasn’t cost effective to replace it though so I got myself a decent 55” 4K

Ohhh! New TV! What did you get? 

• Like 1

I got an LG one, can’t remember the model number off the top of my head but I already had an LG soundbar so thought I would marry the two up. It’s a decent TV, the picture is exceptional and the sound from the internal Speakers is as good as I’ve ever heard on a flat screen. I have LEDs behind it which really set it off and seem to give extra depth.

Are you a bit of a techie @Turvey as I am looking into a Wi-fi system called Mesh. It’s for my dad, he is also moving his router to a more central position in the house which means running a longer RJ11-RJ11 cable and an RJ45 cable to the phone socket. Looking for a decent quality cable, I think it will be a Cat6 now is it? And also from the little bit of research I have done a flat cable will be best, cables I have looked at have been about 7mm. Do you, or anyone have any advice?

• Like 1

Sorry mate, I had to Google 'mesh wi-fi' :blush: so I'm not that much of a techie! :biggrin:

We're blessed with fairly reasonable wi-fi coverage (single storey house, router fairly central) the only extras we have are a couple of Poweline adapters(which I rescued from a skip) feeding the TV and an Xbox. Maybe someone else can come up with something more than me. 

• Like 1

No worries, thanks [emoji846] there was a huge thread a few months back but can’t remember who it was or what it was titled haha. I’ve also realised that I don’t need some of the cables mentioned above. I just need a DSL cable RJ11 to RJ11 so that’s easier, just got to figure out which one now as I need a length over 20ft

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club