Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre recommendations please - 1.8 petrol

pistolpete1

I suppose a lot to do with grip in the wet is down to driving the appropriate speed in the conditions, I've never lost control, (under steering, over steering, excessive wheelspin etc) of a car, that I can remember, and I've been driving for 35 years, I must be driving to slow 😉

# driving miss daisy

That's why I buy budgets, suit my driving style down to the ground.

59 minutes ago, wilto said:

I suppose a lot to do with grip in the wet is down to driving the appropriate speed in the conditions, I've never lost control, (under steering, over steering, excessive wheelspin etc) of a car, that I can remember, and I've been driving for 35 years, I must be driving to slow 😉

# driving miss daisy

That's why I buy budgets, suit my driving style down to the ground.

Well you're no fun are you :lol: 

• Haha 1

It's a very personal choice at the end of the day. Comes down to budget and what brand you trust the most. 

All I would say is don't be tempted to go for part worn or remoulds. Rather have a set of new budget tyres than touch them.

1 hour ago, stef123 said:

Well you're no fun are you :lol: 

I do occasionally "let it rip" and wind it up to 75/80 mph 😂 then I see my computer average dropping below 30mpg and I back off, sorry I didn't by an ST now 😠

4 hours ago, Dave1981 said:

It's a very personal choice at the end of the day. Comes down to budget and what brand you trust the most. 

All I would say is don't be tempted to go for part worn or remoulds. Rather have a set of new budget tyres than touch them.

I don't see a problem with part worn. I've fitted a few for other people now without an issue. Like everything you need to see them first and be able to inspect them. 

3 hours ago, wilto said:

I do occasionally "let it rip" and wind it up to 75/80 mph 😂 then I see my computer average dropping below 30mpg and I back off, sorry I didn't by an ST now 😠

Shoulda bought a diesel rather than an ST...  1.6TDCi still does 45-50mpg at 90+... :biggrin:  Not that I do that any more now I'm old and boring, cruise control at 75 is more like it. :sad:   

Out of interest, why buy a ZS if you don't use the uprated suspension?  Titanium would've been comfier and better specced. :smile:   

I've 'slightly' lost control of a few cars below 40mph but not above so far, it's not really about speed.  70mph roads tend to be fairly smooth, straight and wide so they're fine even at 3 figure speeds (not that I'd suggest trying that these days now everyone has a dashcam lol), the issues tend to be rough, bendy back roads, particularly in winter with the leaf 'sludge' or when the tractors leave wet mud about.  30-40mph is plenty to get over or understeer in some cars.  The Focus is set up well though, the chassis and suspension is fantastic on these tbh, I've had cars that are comfy but fall off the road at every corner, and cars that grip like mad but ruin your spine...the Focus is a nice blend of both on the Titanium at least...  I have been spoilt by the Focus set up and the wet tyres I buy though...  The lack of grip is so noticeable going back to other cars now!! :laugh:     

• Like 2

Uniroyal Rainsport 3.
Ran them on my Saab 9-5 Aeros for years. Can't fault them.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I changed to the Dunlop's cause the michelin primacy 3's it came with were shocking for understeer. In my opinion.. much happier with the sport blur responce in that regard.. but i agree with regard to the setup and comfort esp with the titanium, glad I went for that over the zetec S. Although I do prefer the exterior of the zetec S.

I went for the Zetec S purely for looks, what I really wanted was an ST but thought it would cost to much to run, how wrong was I, my 1.8 petrol is only returning high 20s low 30s according to my dash readout, and I don't do enough miles to warrant a diesel. I only travel 4 miles to work each way and about 100 miles on the weekend.

Like you said Tom, the chassis I excellent on the Focus, I have pushed it on my local back roads on my way home from work in the early hours and it's really satisfying 😀 but on the whole majority of my driving is duel caridgeway with the cruise control set to 70ish.

• Like 3

I can relate to that mpg! My 2.0 petrol Titanium is doing bout 27-29 for my journey to work. 4 mile round trip!! 

Get it on a motorway run though and the difference is night and day.

Luckily it's rare I use it for that as have access to a work van. 

10 hours ago, wilto said:

I went for the Zetec S purely for looks, what I really wanted was an ST but thought it would cost to much to run, how wrong was I, my 1.8 petrol is only returning high 20s low 30s according to my dash readout, and I don't do enough miles to warrant a diesel. I only travel 4 miles to work each way and about 100 miles on the weekend.

Like you said Tom, the chassis I excellent on the Focus, I have pushed it on my local back roads on my way home from work in the early hours and it's really satisfying 😀 but on the whole majority of my driving is duel caridgeway with the cruise control set to 70ish.

With a 4 mile commute each day, a diesel obviously isn't for you lol!  I doubt the ST would have been any worse on fuel, but the tax is daft and the facelift STs are still mega money to buy even now but the preface just doesn't look as good!  So I agree a petrol ZS does seem to fit your requirements well. :smile: 

• Like 2

I run Nokian Weatherproof & have over the last 2 years.

Just put another full set of these on yesterday -  low road noise, mpg as good as the Pirelli conti I had originally  & grip in the wet is good.

I when I first got them I wasn't sure how they would perform in the summer (being all season) but I was impressed.

Once the white stuff starts falling there in a league of there own!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randoms said:

I run Nokian Weatherproof & have over the last 2 years.

Just put another full set of these on yesterday -  low road noise, mpg as good as the Pirelli conti I had originally  & grip in the wet is good.

I when I first got them I wasn't sure how they would perform in the summer (being all season) but I was impressed.

Once the white stuff starts falling there in a league of there own!

Same here, although they give up a small amount of dry weather "bite" on hard turn in, they are wonderfully compliant over pot holes/speed bumps etc, good MPG and absolutely immense in the white stuff or heavy rain.

Wife has her own Focus now with cheapo chinese tyres all round and commented at the weekend that when the road is anything other than bone dry, she has no grip and has to take care not to wheel spin at junctions when pulling off (it's only a MK2.5 1.8 Duratec so it's not exactly "torquey"!)  Apparently "my" tyres are much better, lol.

On 3/12/2017 at 6:05 PM, Dave1981 said:

Currently in Dunlop Sport Blu Response, 205/55 r16 ony MK2.5 2.0. done 9k and they are still on 6mm. Great in the wet inspire lots of confidence and even better in the dry. Only slight negative is road noise is a tad high 

Is that 9k on the front or back and still got 6mm? If it is on the fronts that is very good as the reviews suggest they wear quickly.

Thanks for all comments and replies. Still thinking Avon, Efficient grip performance or Dunlop sport blue response.

It may end up being the Avon if all 4 get changed at the same time, or one of the other two if I get the fronts done first and endure those poor budget tyres on the back a little longer!

The suggested snow may help that decision too.....

Not done much driving in snow as we not had much here but wat did fall was handled fine by my Dunlop's. 

1 hour ago, Dave1981 said:

Not done much driving in snow as we not had much here but wat did fall was handled fine by my Dunlop's. 

My MK2 saloon originally had cheapo chinese rubber on it when I bought it (just before the bad winter in 2010).  The car was undriveable, there was so little grip it wouldn't even pull away on compacted snow when just using the clutch!

Can't beat decent wet weather rubber (in this country at least).

Despite my recommendation of the Rainsport 3.
I just fitted 4 Avon WV7 winter tyres to my mk2 1.8tdci.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

5-6mm on front and 6mm back yes. Wearing quite well tbh.. i had read they can wear quickly but I think driving style can increase or decrease that as well as the compound etc.. 

Stick with the Avon's! The ZV7 is an excellent tyre and gives great grip in all conditions. 

I've not had them on my Focus but has them on my old Kia and couldn't fault them.

Currently got Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun's on the Focus at the moment and I don't rate them at all, they don't grip well from setting off and I've seen the traction control light a few too many times recently! Plus they tramline like barstewards!

Will be glad to get them off the Focus once they've worn out and put some Avons or Uniroyals on it!

• 5 months later...

Just a quick update......put a pair of Avon ZV7's on the front a month or so ago. The Prestivo rear tyres still have 4 mm left and have done 30k miles with me (were on when I bought the car).

Done about 2k on these new tyres and driven it wet and dry conditions. The tyre is quieter than a worn out pair of ZV5's and they feel more forgiving over potholes and bad roads.  The ZV7's seem good in the wet, but only ok in dry conditions.  I say that cos if I'm driving round sweeping corners I have to coast a bit.  Accelerate,  and the tyres struggle to grip and the car drifts towards the kerb, which is a bit worrying!

The old ZV5's never had this problem,  so I will probably move these tyres to the back when the Prestivo tyres eventually wear out! Maybe Dunlop sport blue response next on the front. 

• 1 month later...

Just to update.....

Avon ZV7's have improved over the past few months in terms of grip in the dry, but they have just come last in an auto express tyre test! 😨

Therefore,  I have ordered a pair of Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 tyres to be put on the front,  the the Avons will be moved to the back.  The Dunlop tyre came second in the test, and have good user reviews online.

They are being fitted on Wednesday so I'll update further once they gave been driven on for a while. 😉

Final update......

Dunlop sport maxx RT2 tyres are very good indeed! Both in wet and dry, the cornering at speed is like being on rails! Braking is very good, the they just give you a sense of confidence that the car will go where you want it to.

Definitely worth the extra over the Avon ZV7's......In my opinion.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club