Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Variable wipers mod?

oldbury863

Hi everyone, my 2002 focus 1.6 zetec was made at the time when Ford stripped a lot of bells & whistles from this model. One thing thats driving me nuts is the lack of variable intermittant wipers, - has anyone had any sucess in giving this model variable intermittant wipers? I'm always switching from constant to intermittant & back again instead of just dialling up the optimum interval. If I could get the right column switch & relay, is the wiring already present? What if any model(s) have this feature as standard in order for me to get the parts?

Hope someone can help. . . . . ?

Hi everyone, my 2002 focus 1.6 zetec was made at the time when Ford stripped a lot of bells & whistles from this model. One thing thats driving me nuts is the lack of variable intermittant wipers, - has anyone had any sucess in giving this model variable intermittant wipers? I'm always switching from constant to intermittant & back again instead of just dialling up the optimum interval. If I could get the right column switch & relay, is the wiring already present? What if any model(s) have this feature as standard in order for me to get the parts?

Hope someone can help. . . . . ?

Lol fitted this to my car the other day!! worked a treat was just a simple plug and play out of a ghia, just make sure you get the hatchback version not the saloon. Mines a 2004 edge 3dr so i ASSUME it would work in yours i got the stalk for 10 quid of eBay so u can just give it a whirl and see how goes.

Mike

Lol fitted this to my car the other day!! worked a treat was just a simple plug and play out of a ghia, just make sure you get the hatchback version not the saloon. Mines a 2004 edge 3dr so i ASSUME it would work in yours i got the stalk for 10 quid of ebay so u can just give it a whirl and see how goes.

Mike

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=19&ht=Adding Variable Intermittent wiper Functionality tells you how to do it and it can be done on all fords regardless of age

Cheers for the info - I can't believe I've put up with it all this time over a simple switch replacement & I've ordered one already!

All I need now are electric door mirrors, air con & heated front screen!!!

Cheers for the info - I can't believe I've put up with it all this time over a simple switch replacement & I've ordered one already!

All I need now are electric door mirrors, air con & heated front screen!!!

2002 must of been an awful year for ford because my edge is supposed to be one grade below the zetec and it had all of that as standard :S or were all of those part of the climate pack, i no from new the 1st buyer had ticked the quickclear option on my foci

2002 must of been an awful year for ford because my edge is supposed to be one grade below the zetec and it had all of that as standard :S or were all of those part of the climate pack, i no from new the 1st buyer had ticked the quickclear option on my foci

my 2001 zetec has no quikclear aircon abs or electric mirrors having had themn all before they just go wrong all the time so i deliberately picked summat simpler a lot of the stuff was optional parkers website shows you what was standard and when and its not a lot to be honest even the paint was optional certain colours and metallic etc my 98 passat has global electric mirrors abs electric side mirrors heated as welkl heated washer jets mind you it was 10 grand more than the focus new i dont need them and dont miss them aircon just leaks and when the compressor goes which it will expect a cheap bill of 750 quid thats doing it cheap never needed the electric mirrors so dont care much for them and when i had quicvkclear on an old car i soon found that in the winter a small chip causes the windscreen to need replaced i workerd for auto windscreens and it was always ford with quickclear in the winter that went always abs is junk in certain weathers too as it stops the tyres digging in and getting a grtip my non abs focus was a hell of a better car during the winter than the passat was the more you have the more to go wrong and thats from experience which is why i chose not to have half the junk i dont need

optional extras are.

air conditioning/ alloy wheels/ audio remote/ remote locking/ cd multichanger/ climate control/ rear electric windows/ alarm/ side airbags/

the edge came with the same equipment extras were the quickclear esp parking sensors satnav heated mirrors power sunroof xenon headlights metallic paint alarm towbar on the road 12,790 zetec was 400 quid cheaper on the road so it all depends what options were picked when it was bought

i know ive the extras which were metallic paint the aircon up to oct 01 wasnt an optional extra on the zetec model the edge has the same equipment as the zetec but more options

I suppose the grass is always greener as they say, but you're right about less things to go wrong - my car's been very reliable in the 4+ years Ive had it because there isnt much TO go wrong!

Joking aside, I do miss the ABS I had on my previous car & probably would make it a definite on my next one. . . . .

optional extras are.

air conditioning/ alloy wheels/ audio remote/ remote locking/ cd multichanger/ climate control/ rear electric windows/ alarm/ side airbags/

the edge came with the same equipment extras were the quickclear esp parking sensors satnav heated mirrors power sunroof xenon headlights metallic paint alarm towbar on the road 12,790 zetec was 400 quid cheaper on the road so it all depends what options were picked when it was bought

i know ive the extras which were metallic paint the aircon up to oct 01 wasnt an optional extra on the zetec model the edge has the same equipment as the zetec but more options

ABS i think is a must have its saved my !Removed! more times than i give it credit for in truth. If those are the option's on my spec i feel chuft to bits mine has nearly all of them bar the sunroof, xeons, towbar, sat nav and im soon going to be fitting some parking sensors to it. It is alot to go wrong but personally i have alot of faith in my focus and trust it to not go wrong lol it all gets used regularly and the car is kept in the best condtion i can keep it in. Touch wood itl last the due course.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

For info I thought I would give this a try as well so I ordered a replacement switch from eBay for £10, fitted it which took all of 2 minutes and the variable delay didn't work. This does not appear to work on all fords regardless of age as previously stated in this thread. If you fancy trying this mod just check the wiring loom going to the wiper switch first as it takes seconds to access the switch and loom. There are 10 contact points and if your car has wiring to all 10 then you are probably going to be OK. On my car (2003 1.6 Zetec) there is no wiring going to contact number 1 which should be a white wire which is for the wiper delay according to my Hanyes manual which explains why it doesn't work with just a switch change.

I thought I would post my experience for anyone else who might be wishing to try this. If you fancy trying this mod and you are happy your car is wired let me know as I have a switch going spare ;o)

For info I thought I would give this a try as well so I ordered a replacement switch from ebay for £10, fitted it which took all of 2 minutes and the variable delay didn't work. This does not appear to work on all fords regardless of age as previously stated in this thread. If you fancy trying this mod just check the wiring loom going to the wiper switch first as it takes seconds to access the switch and loom. There are 10 contact points and if your car has wiring to all 10 then you are probably going to be OK. On my car (2003 1.6 Zetec) there is no wiring going to contact number 1 which should be a white wire which is for the wiper delay according to my Hanyes manual which explains why it doesn't work with just a switch change.

I thought I would post my experience for anyone else who might be wishing to try this. If you fancy trying this mod and you are happy your car is wired let me know as I have a switch going spare ;o)

very interesting so ford got wise then and stopped installing the same loom in all there cars guess i was lucky as ive got wiring for just about everything surely there must be some way of doing it to youre car or whats the option get ford to do it has to be a way always is are you sure the white wire isnt taped to the loom

very interesting so ford got wise then and stopped installing the same loom in all there cars guess i was lucky as ive got wiring for just about everything surely there must be some way of doing it to youre car or whats the option get ford to do it has to be a way always is are you sure the white wire isnt taped to the loom

I had a good look around and the wire isn't there. I am sure there is a wiring mod to get it to work but I wouldn't have a clue where to start. A quick swith swap out sounded worth a try but to start messing with the loom is beyond me.

I'm not quite sure what these wipers are and whether my car has them it's a 51 plate 1.6 focus zetec black edition the wiper options are intermitent slow and then fast thanks in advance

I'm not quite sure what these wipers are and whether my car has them it's a 51 plate 1.6 focus zetec black edition the wiper options are intermitent slow and then fast thanks in advance

Doubtful all this mod does is allow you to pick the time interval between intermitant sweeps its acctually really handy its on the ghias mostly (the wiperstalk with the twisty bit with numbers on) in simple terms to people like myself :P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOCUS-FIESTA-MONDEO-VARIABLE-WIPER-STALK-ford-parts_W0QQitemZ360235361351QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53dfb36447

Mike

Doubtful all this mod does is allow you to pick the time interval between intermitant sweeps its acctually really handy its on the ghias mostly (the wiperstalk with the twisty bit with numbers on) in simple terms to people like myself tongue.gif

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item53dfb36447

Mike

basically its very usefull thats why i put hem on mine weve all had it its raining you have the normal wipers slow medium fast on slow its too slow and on medium its too fast the windscreen isnt wet enough and youre just rubbing glass so you find oureself flipping them on and off etc with the variable you have second delays so you can put it on slow and increase the speed between each wipe to what you need no constant flipping between settings no ruining the Wiper Blades and no annoying squeeks on the glass

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club