Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Not Starting

JW84

Hi all, 

After a Google search I came across this site hoping someone can help.

A bit background, about a week ago my car wouldn't start, turned the key and literally nothing. Charged the battery and it started again so ended up buying a new battery assuming that was the problem fixed.

Then a day or so later, with new battery, nothing when I turned the key. So, local mechanic says it's the starter motor - I pay to get that changed and a few days later the same problem, turn they key and it doesn' even fire. Running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks, 

John

hi you may have better luck posing this in the fiesta page if you scroll down on the main page. also some extra details can lead to a better diagnostic. like specific fiesta model (style,zetec, titanium, etc)  year, engine liter (1.0, 1.6)

you could get a wifi or bluetooth OBD reader not expensive. you plug it in to the diagnostics port and read the codes, this is what mechanics do anyway, and charge you a lot for it, it can help and then you can take it to the mechanic and say this needs changing instead of saying, find what needs changing and pay double.

Despite changing the battery it sounds very much like a battery drain issue. Your previous battery may have been completely fine!

Have you checked that everything is off inside the car before walking away from it? A friend with a Fiesta had this problem, and it turns out the LCD screen was not switching off properly and was, in some cases, turning off and then coming back on when you lock it!

Thanks for the response Dan. When we changed the battery and it happened again I thought the same, that something was draining the battery, but there's nothing obvious still on even after I lock it, and the mechanic seemed to think it was the starter motor. After last night i'm not sure sure, as I drove all the way home from work with no problems (about 40 miles) and only stopped at my parents house for about an hour and when I went back out it was completely dead.

3 hours ago, AlexBartlam said:

hi you may have better luck posing this in the fiesta page if you scroll down on the main page. also some extra details can lead to a better diagnostic. like specific fiesta model (style,zetec, titanium, etc)  year, engine liter (1.0, 1.6)

you could get a wifi or bluetooth OBD reader not expensive. you plug it in to the diagnostics port and read the codes, this is what mechanics do anyway, and charge you a lot for it, it can help and then you can take it to the mechanic and say this needs changing instead of saying, find what needs changing and pay double.

Apologies, as a new member I hadn't realised there was a seperate Ford Fiesta section, thanks for the advice :)

Details on the car - Ford Fiesta Zetec Tdci 70, it's a 1.4ltr Diesel, 2012 model.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club