Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help needed

Jamesbrown_2000

Hi guys, I have a standard 2015 Fiesta zetec, seen a nice set of 17' alloys online and I was wondering could I fit these to my car (I believe the standard alloys are 15')? If so, would I need to get the speedometer recalibrated or spacers in? 

yes you can fit them but you will need the speedo re calibrating to the bigger rolling circumference.

• Thanks 1

Any clue roughly how much it is to get recalibration?

it's not that simple as it depends on the profile of the tyres. If you have very low profile tyres on a 17inch wheel the circumference might be the same as 15inch wheels with not so low profile tyres on.

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/speedo-error-calculator

Don't click on the green button. Scroll down and use the calculator on the webpage.

I have heard people say that when you put 17 inch wheels on you need to fit limiters on the steering rack to stop rubbing when on full lock.

Bear in mind wider lower profile tyres will be noisier, have harsher ride and more chance of damage wheels on kerbs/potholes as not so much rubber there as a buffer

• Thanks 1

Ford recommend rack limiters...have a look on their accessories website. Linky link link  Are you looking at Ford alloys or aftermarket?

I wouldn't have thought that you need to recalibrate the speedo if you get the right tyre size (use the calculator above). Try to keep the difference to a max of + or - 3%, that's what I've kept to in the last 25 years.

• Thanks 1

To clear this up:

Any alloy designed for the Fiesta (e.g. the zetec s or ST alloys) will bolt on without needing the speedo calibrated provided you fit the same size tyres that come with the alloys. Tyres for the 17 inch alloys are 205/40/r17. There is a difference in diameter, but like having a new tyre compared to a worn one.

Any alloy not from Fiesta may require the speedo calibrating. However tyre size calculators may get you out of that. Also have to remember the offset may be different on aftermarket, so could hit the suspension/wheel arch.

As said above, rack limiters are recommended for the Fiesta 17 inch alloys as they are wider than the 16/15 inch, so can hit the suspension. My theory is that will only happen with a fair bit of weight in the car. I didn't fit limiters (they're less than £15 on eBay and a 5 minute job to fit) and had no issues.

• Thanks 1

I have the ford recommended 17" set, no limiter and no problems. As far as i know, you can change the wheel size using forscan. There is two different values, i changed them both to correct value.

• Thanks 1

Of course everyone is assuming that the wheels you have seen are the same offset as the Ford fitting for a Fiesta, Differnt cars have different offsets and PCD, (Pictch Centre Diameter).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only reading this thread again now, thank you all very much, used the calculator and there seems to be no difference, looks like I might just have to invest in a limiter👍🏻

• 3 weeks later...

my speedo corrected it self when I fitted 17"s and actually read what my sat nav was saying 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club