Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Battery

mattwlkr

Hello,

I've had my car over 5yr and not replaced the battery, should i wait for it to die or replace you rekon?

Any preferred brands or places to buy a replacement? Tried eurocarparts but they are well expensive.

- Matt

I'd wait for it to show signs of failing personally, no point changing a perfectly good battery...  But if it starts getting slow to start and lights dimming etc, change it before it dies completely and leaves you stranded.  

The batteries for these are expensive as they have to be Silver Calcium for the smart charge alternator.   Could be worse though, stop start batteries for the newer Focus' are even more still lol.

5 minutes ago, mattwlkr said:

Hello,

I've had my car over 5yr and not replaced the battery, should i wait for it to die or replace you rekon?

Any preferred brands or places to buy a replacement? Tried eurocarparts but they are well expensive.

- Matt

I've got the same engine as you on a 05 plate, the original battery lasted 10 years before it died so other than possibly having it tested I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point.

In terms of possible replacement Varta and Bosch are the same batteries, made in the same factory, the Bosch S5 range come with a 5 year warranty but are rather pricey.  However the equivalent Varta battery in the largest capacity that will fit in the car can be found online for less than £90.

I think keep hold of the current one until it starts to conk out then.

Thanks

Mine lasted 6 years but then died suddenly leaving me needing a jump start - literally it started ok, I drove out of the driveway but I had to go back in the house for something and when I came back out it wouldn't even try to turn over.  Luckily I have jump leads and used the other car to start it until I got to the shop for a replacement.  The replacement was a generic brand with 3 year guarantee which I have had over 4 years and still going strong (touch wood).

• 2 months later...

Looks like my car had the original battery, just over 10yrs I think.  Fixed a few issues I was having, plus I don't think the rusted earth or jump start point helped.

I changed the battery on my 2010 Titanium few MTH back as it was struggling to start when cold.. multimeter confirmed it had dropped a cell. Now got a Bosch S4 fitted and it's night and day the difference

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club