Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear selection problem

anto135

Ok so when I’m stationary the gear selections fine, I can select each gear fine, when I’m moving however it’s different. I noticed about a month back that it can sometimes be a struggle to get into certain gears at times, the only way I can describe it is when I’m trying to select the gear something is blocking it from engaging so I move it back into neutral and try again until it goes in smoothly, I won’t force it in through fear of causing damage.

It started mostly with 1st and second but it’s now doing it in third and seems to be happening more often. From memory it seems to be doing it mostly if not always when I’m gearing down.

My 2006 1.25 struggled with engaging gears when in cold weather a few years ago, cured with a new clutch, something to do with the fingers on the pressure plate not applying enough pressure I think [emoji848]

Funnily enough it is a 2006 1.25 and it is really cold at the moment.

Could try this method. I have a mk6.5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCi and I noticed sometimes i would struggle to get into 3rd mainly when I'm downshifting from fourth. I haven't really been noticing this lately but still might try this method out 

i can't really see how the cold can affect it other than if it's to do with the gearbox oil thickening in the cold, ie. I can't see how the cold can affect the clutch

It does sound like the clutch dragging as you can get gears while stationary.  Thick oil or a selector issue should still be present while stationary.

Haven't heard of pressure plate fingers weakening in the cold though, if anything they should be stronger in the cold and more soft and pliable when warm. :unsure: 

I heard the gears go stiff when the engine gets hot. The engine heat I think heats up the linkage making it go stiff so just lubricating it with heat resistant grease might help the issue. I noticed third gear goes stiff / hard to get into when the coolant gauge goes between the middle mark and minimum mark. I'd be furious if mine is the clutch 

The Fiestas do have an issue with the selector drying out, and for the few minutes it takes to clean and re-grease it is worth trying that first in your case.  But don't be too surprised if it doesn't make much difference.

It might even be the synchro if it's just 3rd, 3rd takes a lot of abuse so is usually the first to become weak.  I have to double declutch for 3rd in the Focus quite often or ram it in hard.  Can't see any external issues so probably is the synchro, I'll just live with it unless the diff dies lol.

• Like 1

Something else I’ve noticed just to add if it makes any difference the biting point seems to be quite low. Also when in reverse recently it’s a struggle to get back into neutral from reverse I have to lift and push the clutch back down until it comes out smoothly.

17 hours ago, anto135 said:

Something else I’ve noticed just to add if it makes any difference the biting point seems to be quite low. Also when in reverse recently it’s a struggle to get back into neutral from reverse I have to lift and push the clutch back down until it comes out smoothly.

Low bite point and getting stuck in gear again points to the clutch dragging (not disengaging fully).  It's worth checking you've got plenty of clutch fluid (same res as brake fluid) in case it's leaking at all.  But really I think you need a new clutch kit tbh.

• 3 years later...

Hello friend of mine has a fiesta 1.5 diesel. The car at first was stuck in i think reverse. But aa lubed the cables under gearstick gater. Seemed to free it. But the car is locked in a gear starts fine when u press the clutch pedal down soon as u lift your foot off it just stalls. Now after me going nuts with the gear stick i managed to find neutral but was making a bad noise i managed to drive it 10ft and car just locked up and stuck in gear. Any ideas please. Its a 2013 fiesta diesel 

• Sad 1

Hello Lewis, welcome to the Ford Owners Club.

With the engine switched off, and the clutch pedal pushed fully down can you move the gear stick through all the gears or is it still stuck in one gear?

• 1 year later...

Hi All, i have a 2013 fiesta 1.5tdci. I am having issues selecting first and second gear occasionally, but if i pump the clutch pedal a few times i can select them both easily. When the engine is turned off i can push through all the gears with no problem so i assume there is no issue with the box. Once moving there is no issues its just occasionally an issue when pulling away. Anyone with any advice or previous experience with a similar issue would be greatly appreciated.