Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK2 noise/vibration under acceleration

SRLA

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum, I joined hoping to get some help as this is driving me crazy. I have a 2006 Focus 2l petrol and for the last few months it's been making an odd clunking sort of noise under acceleration that seems to come from the driver side. There's a fairly loud metal on metal noise that can just be the random clunk when the clutch is released but turns into more of a grinding noise under acceleration in the first gears.

It seems to be wheel torque related, doesn't happen when stopped or under light acceleration, not if the clutch is slipped very gently to make for a smooth launch. Also doesn't happen even at full throttle in the higher gears. It doesn't happen going over bumps or when turning.

After researching some of the more common faults I've already replaced the three engine mounts and the right side drive shaft, but this is still going on. While replacing the shaft I got to check the ball joints on the wishbone and steering linkage and they seemed fine, hub bearing moves well and no sign of any leaks. I'm not sure what to look for next so open to suggestions, I'm now fearing a badly worn or damaged diff but hoping it won't come to that.

off the top of my head I can't remember how many mounts there are on a MK2 (not jut engine mounts).  In terms of the mounts that you have changed, have you changed the one that holds the gearbox steady?

I ask because I know someone that had similar symptoms to yours and it was due to the gearbox being about to twist a little bit when either heavy throttle was initially applied on in the low gears (where the gears are shortest).

Check your exhaust mounts grab backbox and shake left to right and look for looseness or contact to the body.

3 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Check your exhaust mounts grab backbox and shake left to right and look for looseness or contact to the body.

My wife's MK2.5 1.8 petrol had a snapped exhaust hanger and it caused similar symptoms to what has been described above.  I'd been imagining something rather more serious/expensive so I was well happy with the solution being a 5 minute welding job by the garage!

Hi, thanks for the replies, I replaced all 3 mounts - engine, gearbox and anti-roll under the firewall.

Will take a look at the exhaust as soon as I get a chance, might be something along those lines since other than the disconcerting noise and vibration it pulls just fine.