• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 hodges9566

hodges9566

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 focus ghia 1.6 100bhp

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

Had to replace power steering pump and pipe at 38,0000 on 4 year old 1.6 ghia which cost 500 notes so im not to happy. Has any one else had this at such low miles or now any thing about a problem and can i claim anything back of fords.By the way car was 1 month out of warranty, just my luck.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Knight Focus

Knight Focus

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Ford Model: 2004 Focus LX 1.8

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

Being of such low mileage and only a month out of warranty, you should try to get some sort of reimbursement, either from the dealership or from Ford.

My Mother-in-law had a steering wheel replaced and because of the low mileage of her Fiesta, and it was a full year out of warranty, they met her 90% of the way. It would be worth looking in to.

Mike

#3 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,273 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

this is a known fault with your model, my brother has also suffered this at about 40k on a 2005(55) 1.6

#4 hodges9566

hodges9566

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 focus ghia 1.6 100bhp

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

this is a known fault with your model, my brother has also suffered this at about 40k on a 2005(55) 1.6

Has any one managed to get anything back for this and how did you go about it.

#5 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,340 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

Has any one managed to get anything back for this and how did you go about it.

youre best bet is phone yoioure local ford dealer and explain the issue to them

#6 LEWDAN

LEWDAN

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.8 tddi
Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Had to replace power steering pump and pipe at 38,0000 on 4 year old 1.6 ghia which cost 500 notes so im not to happy. Has any one else had this at such low miles or now any thing about a problem and can i claim anything back of fords.By the way car was 1 month out of warranty, just my luck.

Sorry to jump on this thread, Is it possible to purchase the pipe separately, i have aan oil leak on pipe connector at sreering pump end, any idea of cost

Cheers

LD

#7 caz123

caz123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: focus
Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:50 PM

youre best bet is phone yoioure local ford dealer and explain the issue to them

CAZ123 1ST fEBRUARY 2010 20.30 HOURS
Also had problem with 2006 Focus Sport 1.6 Power Steering Pump and its associated feed pipe needed replacing costing 514, my car being seven months outside manufacturers warranty, dealer who supplied car recons they have no known history of this problem and i should contact Ford etc. Anyone got any ideas on how best to proceed? as the option to phone Ford seems a potential time wasting exercise.

#8 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:50 AM

CAZ123 1ST fEBRUARY 2010 20.30 HOURS
Also had problem with 2006 Focus Sport 1.6 Power Steering Pump and its associated feed pipe needed replacing costing 514, my car being seven months outside manufacturers warranty, dealer who supplied car recons they have no known history of this problem and i should contact Ford etc. Anyone got any ideas on how best to proceed? as the option to phone Ford seems a potential time wasting exercise.

it may be but it is the only option available in all honesty

#9 Peng

Peng

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford focus Ghia

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

Hi
I am a new member just read about the problem with power steering pump my Focus had to be done last year when it had only 20K on the clock my mechanic told me that the part that he put on was a little different than the one that came off does that mean that ford have updated the part because of all the problems they have had with this part, and could anybody tell me if they have been able to get anything from ford on this matter?

#10 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

Hi
I am a new member just read about the problem with power steering pump my Focus had to be done last year when it had only 20K on the clock my mechanic told me that the part that he put on was a little different than the one that came off does that mean that ford have updated the part because of all the problems they have had with this part, and could anybody tell me if they have been able to get anything from ford on this matter?

if the par was update then yes ford were aware there was an issue with it though getting anything back is a different matter talk to youre local dealer but i doubt youde get anywhere to be honest

#11 Peng

Peng

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford focus Ghia

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

if the par was update then yes ford were aware there was an issue with it though getting anything back is a different matter talk to youre local dealer but i doubt youde get anywhere to be honest

Thanks for that I thought has much just hope ther is no more problems with it exspensive job, but having said that with my local mechanic doing the job got the job done complete for around the price for part from Ford.

#12 dr-syn

dr-syn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

Ford Focus 1.6 ghia november 2005.

Today, my power steering fluid has just completey drained itself and now i dont have any power steering..

i have located the 'leak' as coming from the pipe connector that feeds the supply to the power steering pump.

Not the crimp and rubber pipe connection,BUT, the next bit, which is the elbow going into the power steering pump on the feed side..

Does anyone know if this elbow can come out of the pump and somehow be put back in and the joint made good?

This really does seem to be a design fault, but i'm not wanting to go to fords and pay 500 for all new bits and work done, for it to just go again at some point in the future..

Can anyone advise?

Thanks.

#13 Carrera74

Carrera74

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 05

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

I'm new here. I've been googling power steering problems with Focus' as I have just taken my car to the garage after the power steering has failed again. This is the second time in 18 months! Last time it cost me just over 400. This time it's going to just under 600. I'm not a happy chappy. The garage have contacted Ford parts to see if there is any warranty etc but as it's 6 months past the 12 months warranty we have no option but to pay up again. Our local Ford have 60 units in stock so it seems they are aware of the problems. They have also put their prices up a hell of a lot in the last 18months. The pipe was 40 18 months ago - it costs 80 now! Seems Ford are aware of the problem and are making money out of it too. I'm fuming :( It's such a shame as my car is a really good car, apart from this!!!

#14 mark_01

mark_01

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

hi m8 i have had the same problem with my focus its an 06 plate zetec n my powersteering has gone n also i havent done many miles in my car i belive there is 38k

#15 jase1974

jase1974

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: focus climate zetec

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

I can not believe that this issue is so common.....i was at a driving event yesterday and driving an aston martin (great fun) on my way there steering went with the same problem....luckily I had managed to get to the event but how ironic my car breaksdown while I am at the event! my 55 plate focus has 39k on the clock leaking fluid etc......I didn't risk driving it and had to be towed home.

A couple of quick questions.....what kind of cost is reasonable? and can I drive it to the local garage? (the garage is about 1 mile away)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users