Do Not Sell My Personal Information

whinning noise

effyzx

hi i have had my transit from new , fully serviced by ford dealer.    now showing 117000 miles ,it is always driven with respect and looked after .never had any real issues with it , had new discs and pads fit about 2000 miles ago   just started to make l noise today,a whining like noise today not loud but noticeable, if i turn off the engine and take it out of gear and freewheel it is still making the noise, even if freewheeling around 5 mph you can still hear it inside the van , cant really notice the sound outside of the van , don't think it is a wheel bearing , seems to be coming from under the van but hard to tell anyone have any ideas thanks ..

4 hours ago, effyzx said:

if i turn off the engine and take it out of gear and freewheel it is still making the noise, even if freewheeling around 5 mph you can still hear it inside the van , cant really notice the sound outside of the van , don't think it is a wheel bearing ,

Modern wheel bearings tend to whine or drone for a long time before any significant fault is present. I had one go last year, and initially it did not vary with turning left or right. Only after a couple of months did it start to sound louder when pulling left, and turned out to be the driver side front bearing. At no time was there any play or noise whatsoever when testing the wheel with it off the ground. And the sound source is hard to locate, it resonates through various parts of the vehicle.

I resorted to putting microphones in various locations, but road noise dominated most of the time, and it did not really pin it down. Though it did more or less eliminate the differential (mike clamped to gearbox), and the intermediate drive shaft bearing.

THANKS for your reply , done around 100 miles today noise gone, will just have to wait and see if it returns ,