Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen issues

mattwlkr

Hello,

I have poor visibility through my windscreen. I've tried cleaning and polishing but its still pretty poor. I was hoping the polish would fill the little pits.

There are quite a few tiny scratches/chips/pits on the windscreen that causes quiet a bit of glare. A lot of headlights seem over bright these days which doesn't help; unless its just me.

Any ideas how to reduce the glare?

- Matt

theres no viable fix for a heavily pitted / chipped windscreen - if you have windscreen cover contact your car insurer and tell them the glass has deteriorated to an extent that impairs nite time driving.

they may approve a replacement with only an excess payment as contribution from yourself

i can't see an insurance company paying up if anyone mentions the word deterioration. Insurance is for sudden unexpected unintended identifiable events not for deterioration over a period of time. If it deteriorated over say three years and you insured with three different insurers over that 3 year period then if insurance did cover this then they should pay one third each , but it's not covered anyway. That does not neccesarily mean they won't pay though. It can come down to what words you use to describe what happened and who you get on the phone, they will ask you for the date the damage occurred at least, and also probably how it happened. 

4 hours ago, mattwlkr said:

Hello,

I have poor visibility through my windscreen. I've tried cleaning and polishing but its still pretty poor. I was hoping the polish would fill the little pits.

There are quite a few tiny scratches/chips/pits on the windscreen that causes quiet a bit of glare. A lot of headlights seem over bright these days which doesn't help; unless its just me.

Any ideas how to reduce the glare?

- Matt

sadly not a lot you can do except get a new screen which would be at your cost unless by a twist of fate you get a a bad chip or crack in the windscreen 🤔

Know anyone with an air rifle? 

joking, insurance fraud is bad, just remember all that money you were supposed to be saving from your insurance premiums because of the change in the law regarding "whiplash" saving the country millions was the headline, pretty sure my premiums have gone up every year since.  So with that in mind, remember that using an air rifle to get your window replaced is a no no!

• Like 1

I guess the prefacelift still uses the 'stick' style wiper mount, rather than the conventional hook?  If so, just change the blades in the wet...managed to crack my previously perfect screen when the arm slipped out of my hand, the stick caused a crack due to the tiny contact area compared to a hook. :dry::sad: 

Just had a stone put through it, you know the stone that flew out at you from in-between the two rear tyres on the tipper lorry you was following.

Or park it next to a stockbroker's high rise office block. I hear this time of year can be hit and miss for those guys </dark humour>

• Haha 2

Hi Matt, I have been having a look around as I have a similar problem and I am loath to get the windscreen replaced due to the horror stories I've read re leaks, non-working heated screen, auto lamps/wipers etc. etc. I had a disastrous leak in a Mondeo years ago which, temporarily fortunately, messed up the auto box computer thingy behind the glovebox. Complete nightmare until I noticed the leak and managed to dry everything out. No permanent damage to the 'thingy'!!

You can get polishing kits on eBay for around £10 using cerium oxide. Or if you already have unused polishing pads for a drill/grinder/polisher you can get the cerium oxide alone for about £4. Cerium Oxide is used in the glass trade.

Probably wise to trial on an unimportant window like the o/s quarter light before setting about the windscreen. I haven't got around to it yet - it passed the MOT so it's not urgent - and winter weather isn't conducive to non-urgent jobs. Yes, it needs washing!!

Good luck, let us know how you get on.