Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SAT NAV SILENT

Laskababy

Hi,does anyone have any idea why my sat nav has gone silent,when I type in a destination I can hear the disc whizzing round for some reason,it shouldn't be makeing that kind of noice but there is no voice to say where to go,everything else works fine,does anyone have a rough idea what it could be before I have to book it in to a ford garage,cheers.

DISK ???? What disk? The SatNav (assuming sync3 as your is a 2017 model) doesnt use a disk, its all stored in flash memory!

Hi simonb65,yes my one is a 2017 Edge sport with sync 3,I thought it was a disc that was in it,shows yawhat I know,what do you think the whizzing noice could be,it's like when you play a DVD it makes that noise,also no sound from the nice lady that speaks,everything else is fine but not got a clue what is going on,iv pressed the mute button on and of and put volume up but nowt,I'm stumped 🤔 

I did a master reset on the system but it's still not speaking and still buzzing,ford garage it is I think 👎

Silly idea but on your main navigation screen is there a speaker with a line or an X through it ?   Mine went silent last week and it turns out the mute had been put on. Can’t remember ever doing that but it was on. Touch the speaker symbol and it’s back on again. 

• Like 1

Had that on thursday.
Picked up hire car, set destination and wondered why I was getting lost trying to leave Glasgow.
Previous driver had muted the voice guidance (git).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi folks,thanks for the replies,yes I tried the mute button,it's the buzzing that I'm not sure about,seems every time it tries to speak it's like the noise like a disc in a DVD player going round but when I press the Voice command button on the steering wheel that speaks saying command please and the map is working fine,just sat-nav won't speak and is buzzing,it's annoying TBH,I'm gona have to phone the Ford garage tomorrow try book it in but was hoping it was gona be something simple,prob be a new stereo or something I'd say.

A master reset is not all it seems to be.

You could disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then connect it back up again. This will cause all the various modules to shut down and fixes many things.

H

Car went to ford today,plugged into computer,no faults found,reprogrammed all software/audio/sat-nav etc,still won't work or find a fault,the buzzing wirrling noise is still there and still no sound,the garage have emailed ford now to see what to do next,just got wait for reply now.

Have you checked what the satnav voice volume is set at ?   There is no direct way of setting the volume, so what you need to do is set a route, make sure your normal audio (radio) volume is on zero, then drive until the first instruction.  Whilst the instruction is being given, turn the volume up and it will set the satnav volume to that level.  Also during route guidance, this is where the mute option is, which is indicated by a speaker symbol with a line through it.  This symbol is not visible unless a destination is set and guidance is in operation.  My mute had been applied without my knowledge, either by an electronic gremlin or by my wife (a human gremlin).  It took me several attempts to work out how to sort that.   I first noticed when I passed a speed camera and the voice which normally says ‘caution’, said nothing.  

Just went out and iv tried everything now,volume,mute button on off,nope,nothing,still buzzing and no sound,up to ford now to see what they say 🙁

1 hour ago, Edge of Reason said:

... then drive until the first instruction.

You don't need to do this, there is a button somewhere that will say the next nav instruction ... used it a few times to set the volume, but without being sat in the car, I can't for the life of me, remember where it is!! DOH!

Sound like its more than just low volume though!

@Laskababy No probs, just wanted to go through the motions in case it was something simple that may have been missed. @simonb65 I think you are right, but I was sitting in my house and couldn’t recall exactly what was on screen. 😄

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same problem. It is a very easy fix.  You simply need to increase the volume on the steering wheel when the lady is speaking and giving directions

Hi keith66,iv tried that as well,it's budgered I'd say,it's whirling noise that suggests there something not right,still waiting on ford to come back to the garage to see what they are going to do,it's a strange one because everything else works on it,map,also voice activation on steering wheel and all that stuff works except when you type in a destination that it doesn't speak just makes a buzzing and whirling noise when it's trying to speak,fingers crossed I hear something soon.thanks anyway keith66.

Still waiting on a solution from Ford with what to do,I phoned ford garage today and they said ford came back with something but it won't work so garage emailed them back,just waiting now,again,to see what they say,just as well I don't need to use it just now eh.

Disconnect the battery for a time. Maybe 30 mins and reconnect it. Then try splat nav.

H

Hi Hamster,I'm not keen on disconnecting the battery,I'd be to frightened incase I did more damage to something,with all the electronics on the car I'd be scared incase I bugger something's else 😳Plus I'm useless we anything mechanical or anything on cars lol.

It’s quite straightforward. First of all get a small plastic cap off an aerosol or a ceramic dip pot or such like to cover the terminal post after the disconnection.

Keys in your pocket

Pull back the terminal cover and with a 10mm spanner loosen, anti-clockwise, the small nut a couple of turns. Wiggle the terminal and pull it off cleanly. Put your cover over the post to stop it accidentally reconnecting. Go and have a coffee or in Scotland a whiskey.

Reconnect in one positive movement to avoid arcing and power spikes. Tighten up the nut snugly. A disconnect resets all the modules and drive parameters and can work wonders.

H

Hamster I’m disappointed. I’m a Scot and we don’t drink Whiskey as that is either Irish or American. We drink Whisky 🥃 😜

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spoke to ford garage today,they said I'm going to get a whole new stereo system rather than messing about trying different stuff so got to go to garage to get some code next week as there is 3 different types of stereo systems so they need to see about a code or something then they can order the new stereo system which takes a couple of days they think,be glad to get it done as it's dragged on a bit now.

I still think a battery disconnect and reconnect will fix it. The trouble is, they'll disconnect the battery when they change the stereo and then with the new system in they'll think they've fixed it. Which they will, but not in the correct way.

What a waste of Ford's money.

H

I wouldn't say it's a waste of fords money at all Hamster,this is the second stereo iv had replaced,first one had to be changed when car was brand new,as soon as car started the volume went as high as it possibly could and wouldn't turn down,fords answer,new stereo,now sat nav voice won't work so they have tried everything to fix it so decided a new stereo system to replace this one,it's only taken over 6 weeks to decide to replace it,2 stereos in 7 months of ownership of a brand new car,not that good is it,so how is it a waste of fords money,not what I'd expect from a £40000 plus car,do you ????.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club