Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Do you leave your car in gear when you park?

ToXIcG

Do you leave your car in gear when you park?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you leave your car in gear when you park?

• Yes
    • No

im a rebel, handbrake on, wheels straight. in neutral. have done since having a licence without incident.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, zain611 said:

I think heel toe probably is the best way unless just getting to the bitting point and quickly releasing the brake and press the accelerator. I thought the only way breaking the handbrake cable is by doing handbrake turns or applying it whilst the car is moving. 

Yeah I went with the low biting point and quickly off brake on to throttle...  I didn't have the foot skill for safe heel toeing lol.

Cables eventually snap through metal fatigue or corrosion but it usually takes 10+ years in my experience.  

12 hours ago, stef123 said:

I have been out to fix handbrake cables which have just snapped whilst the car was parked a couple of times.

That's really odd, I don't see why they randomly snap after the event! :laugh:

Never.  However, if parked on a hill I turn the wheel facing into the kerb so it wouldn't roll away if the handbrake failed.

The only thing you'd have to be careful about with a cars wheel fully turned is that you don't want to drive closely passed it as it could smack the bumper against the wheels. It's like manually folding the mirrors when your parked on a narrow road. I've stopped doing that since my dad told me that if someone accidentally hit the mirror they'd quickly correct themselves rather than hitting the mirror when it's folded and most likely hitting the bodywork. 

'Cept I'm a retired police driver, and that's how we were taught - id rather collision damage than the car rolling away. We were also taught to only leave a vehicle in gear when parked off road, where other motorists usually weren't about to crash into them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

'Cept I'm a retired police driver, and that's how we were taught - id rather collision damage than the car rolling away. We were also taught to only leave a vehicle in gear when parked off road, where other motorists usually weren't about to crash into them.

I will leave the wheels turned in just a slight angle - not enough to bring the wheel outside of the arch, but enough to roll it towards the kerb.

when on my drive which is a sheepish slope i leave in gear, if im on flat ground i dont.

I always have handbrake on and in 1st gear. The driveway slopes to a sheer drop behind the wall to the sea

20171203_150119.jpg

Yes always in gear and wheel very slight to the gutter side.

I always have handbrake on and in 1st gear. The driveway slopes to a sheer drop behind the wall to the sea
20171203_150119.thumb.jpg.317fa5937c35a255f7288e4b1a31d412.jpg

What a beautiful place to live you’re very lucky

www.tomholroydphotography.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Philf1 said:

What a beautiful place to live you’re very lucky

www.tomholroydphotography.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks. It's a great view 😊

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes always leave my car in gear when parked, even when parked on a level surface, lol. When parked down a hill I put the car in reverse, when parked up a hill I put the car in 1st gear.

Liam.

Yes, when common sense dictates I should do so.

That should pretty much cover it.