Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Relock Sync 2 cars

kelvin1950

After being in my local dealer for a total of 7 days this year, they have finally managed to fix the auto relock problem. I have to point out, I guess that it didn't take them 7 days, there was a list of problems which they are managing to fix one at a time!

For information, my problem was a misconfiguration in the BCMI. This is a very early car, built July 2016.

Now all I need is for them to sort the sat nav and tell me if the traffic sign system is working properly.

Amazes me that their training seems to be so poor that they don't actually know how the car should work!

Whats wrong with the sat nav and traffic sign recognition?

H

What does that mean?

misconfiguration in the BCM

Does it mean that they simply had to make sure the line in the BCM was written correctly? SO that it would enable the option to be selected in the menu viewed on the on board screen?

11 hours ago, kelvin1950 said:

After being in my local dealer for a total of 7 days this year, they have finally managed to fix the auto relock problem. I have to point out, I guess that it didn't take them 7 days, there was a list of problems which they are managing to fix one at a time!

For information, my problem was a misconfiguration in the BCMI. This is a very early car, built July 2016.

Now all I need is for them to sort the sat nav and tell me if the traffic sign system is working properly.

Amazes me that their training seems to be so poor that they don't actually know how the car should work!

TBH I'd given up trying to get mine fixed as like you the car had been back to the dealership on several occasions for them to attempt to rectify the non-functioning auto-relock. How did they eventually discover it was a BCMI misconfiguration & did the dealership rectify it in house?I could just do with knowing what I now need to say to my dealer so it would help if the problem resolution was somehow recorded by Ford Technical otherwise I'll just get fobbed off again. Cheers

On 17/12/2017 at 9:32 PM, Hamster said:

Whats wrong with the sat nav and traffic sign recognition?

H

Traffic recognition is a case of them telling me how it should work versus how the book says it should work and how it does work! Simply put, there are two round windows and the book suggests that both should display something. The top one never does.

22 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

What does that mean?

Does it mean that they simply had to make sure the line in the BCM was written correctly? SO that it would enable the option to be selected in the menu viewed on the on board screen?

I tend not to ask questions like that as they often struggle to answer them! Suffice it to say that it now works.

12 hours ago, Yetiman65 said:

TBH I'd given up trying to get mine fixed as like you the car had been back to the dealership on several occasions for them to attempt to rectify the non-functioning auto-relock. How did they eventually discover it was a BCMI misconfiguration & did the dealership rectify it in house?I could just do with knowing what I now need to say to my dealer so it would help if the problem resolution was somehow recorded by Ford Technical otherwise I'll just get fobbed off again. Cheers

I'm not sure if they worked it out for themselves or got the information from Ford Technical. The dealer is Think Ford in Basingstoke -  01256 962700.

The traffic sign recognition system barely ever displays a symbol in the second window. I’ve only seen one sign appear there. This was a no-overtaking sign. Speed limit is the only thing displayed in the other window. So you’ll probably find it is working perfectly well, it just isn’t as good as the blurb suggests. 

1 hour ago, Edge of Reason said:

The traffic sign recognition system barely ever displays a symbol in the second window. I’ve only seen one sign appear there. This was a no-overtaking sign. Speed limit is the only thing displayed in the other window. So you’ll probably find it is working perfectly well, it just isn’t as good as the blurb suggests. 

Exactly how mine works as well.

49 minutes ago, Jim610 said:

Exactly how mine works as well.

& mine

Mine too!

On a side note, is the 'overspeed' chime in your car audiable? I can only hear mine if I turn the aircon off so the blowers aren't going! Compared to other audio warnings, its pretty useless.

Just for clarification here, The road sign recognition should show the last displayed speed limit sign speed in the lower circle. In a national speed limit of 60 it will show 60 on a single carriage way and 70 on a motorway. The lower circle should  display red and white all the time.

The upper circle only displays 'no overtaking' in red and white and should appear in roadworks etc.

There were, however, a few Edge's built which need a reconfiguration of the speed sign software. There is a TSB on this and it should be picked up in an IDS diagnostic session. Before the update mine was wrong. Post update all is fine.

I've never used overspeed but i'll try it.

Mine generally has the last speed limit displayed but sometimes if the limit hasn’t changed for some time, it greys out. Is this wrong then ?

Yes, this is exactly what was wrong with mine and is fixed with an update. No grey or black and white, both should be be red and white like a road sign. It was something to do with the Canadian camera configuration.

H

@Hamster you beat me to it, that’s what I was going to write too. Not that i have it on mine but a lot of the Mondeo were talking about it a while back.

Does anyone who has the auto relock problem know their AS BUILT data or have a way of reading their BCM coding? Specifically line 726-15-02 If not and you want to help me with a bit of theory I have then please drop me a PM.

Jon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It depends on the warranty coverage of the car. I would guess that most UK sold Edge's will still be under three years old so probably yes.

A TSB is just a Technical service Bulletin and not an admission of liability :smile:

H

On 12/19/2017 at 11:05 AM, simonb65 said:

Mine too!

On a side note, is the 'overspeed' chime in your car audiable? I can only hear mine if I turn the aircon off so the blowers aren't going! Compared to other audio warnings, its pretty useless.

Just about and I am renowned for sharp hearing!

• Thanks 1

On 19/12/2017 at 7:29 AM, Edge of Reason said:

That's what I understand. The dealer ranges from "Nothing ever appears in that window" to "We're not really sure if anything should appear there as we've never seen anything". Is there no way they can test the system?

On 19/12/2017 at 11:05 AM, simonb65 said:

Mine too!

I've never heard this.

On 19/12/2017 at 1:52 PM, Hamster said:

Just for clarification here, The road sign recognition should show the last displayed speed limit sign speed in the lower circle. In a national speed limit of 60 it will show 60 on a single carriage way and 70 on a motorway. The lower circle should  display red and white all the time.

The upper circle only displays 'no overtaking' in red and white and should appear in roadworks etc.

There were, however, a few Edge's built which need a reconfiguration of the speed sign software. There is a TSB on this and it should be picked up in an IDS diagnostic session. Before the update mine was wrong. Post update all is fine.

I've never used overspeed but i'll try it.

The lower circles will display signed speed limits when it sees them. If there is no sign, it displays a speed limit that I understand it gets from GPS. Originally, mine would never read a road sign.

What a day! Following Kelvin1950’s  post regarding having auto relock enabled, I first phoned Think Ford in Basingstoke before visiting my local dealer. I actually spoke to the technician who had fixed three Edge’s (to date) with the auto relock problem, and he kindly explained how he’d done it! Nice guy. I was totally impressed with his attitude, especially considering I’m over 250 miles away and therefore not even potentially one of their customers!

So far so good. Then I went to my local dealer and that’s where things rapidly went down hill...

I started off being polite and reasonable, explaining the problem with my car and that they’d already had the car in on three occasions and told me it couldn’t be fixed. I told them about this post and that I’d spoken to Think Ford who confirmed they’d reconfigured three Edge’s to enable auto relock. I was informed that they could not reconfigure the BCMI on my car without Ford’s approval and Ford had already said that there was no fix. Attempting to reconfigure my car could actually wreck the electrics on my car and could then cost thousands to repair. If I wanted to accept liability for them trashing my car and then paying them potentially a few thousand to fix it, then they’d give it a try... Alternatively, why don’t I take the car to Basingstoke? I somehow managed to stop myself asking why? Are their mechanics better than yours?

My dealer finally agreed to contact Think Ford and check whether they’d encountered any problems, then they would contact Ford for permission to attempt mine... 

The saga continues...

Blimey! There I was thinking that Think Ford were muppets!

It’s one line of coding on the BCM, potentially 2. Yes there is a risk of doing something that could cause a problem but it can be rolled back if need be. It can be done in 5 minutes and that includes the time to plug the lead into the OBD port and running the program. Did they tell you exactly what they did and why there is a problem in the first place @xn85

12 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

It’s one line of coding on the BCM, potentially 2. Yes there is a risk of doing something that could cause a problem but it can be rolled back if need be. It can be done in 5 minutes and that includes the time to plug the lead into the OBD port and running the program. Did they tell you exactly what they did and why there is a problem in the first place @xn85

The problem is that the auto relock doesn't work and some but not all dealers state that it doesn't have auto relock. In my case, the first tech to work on it said it didn't have it and the second fixed it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kelvin1950 said:

The problem is that the auto relock doesn't work and some but not all dealers state that it doesn't have auto relock. In my case, the first tech to work on it said it didn't have it and the second fixed it.

Having felt ‘fobbed off’ by my dealer, I contacted Ford Customer service, who were useless. I then found the email address of Ford CEO (UK) and emailed him! That got a response! Suddenly I was getting weekly calls from Ford CRC wanting to help resolve the problem (which is compounded by an over-sensitive remote button that frequently unlocks my car from up to 100m away!). Eventually, Ford informed me that Auto relock is not fitted to my car, cannot be retro fitted and my car is actually functioning ‘as designed’. 

Ford have now started selling Edge’s with a redesigned remote fob, with recessed buttons! However, they won’t replace my keys with the new design as ‘everything is functioning as designed’. Out of frustration, I enquired about actually buying a pair of the new key fobs (about £600) and even asked about replacing the BCM. Apparently it is programmed to the car so the same software would be reinstalled, without auto relock...

On 31/12/2017 at 3:38 AM, Jonro2009 said:

My local dealer is sticking to the party line. It’s not there and can’t be fitted. When presented with proof to the contrary, they just go la la la and stick their fingers in their ears...

My local dealer is sticking to the party line. It’s not there and can’t be fitted. When presented with proof to the contrary, they just go la la la and stick their fingers in their ears...

My Mk5 mondeo did not have it, nor did it have auto lock when driving over 12mph. Using Forscan I was able to activate both myself, again after Ford saying it couldn’t be done. My car did not have the reverse camera either, I’ve fitted a camera and wired it up then used Forscan to tell the car it was there and then ran the service, now it works as OEM does showing on the Sync2 screen. That’s why I was wondering if anyone could tell me the coding line in their BCM, hopefully from an Edge with auto relock and also from one without.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

What we need is a concise Forscan tutorial. What kit to buy, software to download, and a couple of screenshots of what we can do with it. 

What we have to consider with 'Ford say it can't be done' is that Ford have licenses to build and market vehicles across the world. From the USA to Europe. With regard to the drive-away locking issue, which has been around the forums for literally years, is that Ford have to say it can't be done because the EU (love them or hate them) say it shouldn't be done. It is owner configurable in the USA. In the EU they consider it unsafe because in an RTC the doors might not re-open and the rescue people would be delayed in saving the occupants.

There will be an engineer in Ford who could make it happen in seconds but he can't. Having said that, with an easy fix using Forscan I'd do it on my Edge.

@Jonro2009 if you have it and have used it, whats it like?

H