Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disable automatic air con and recycle air?

Pebbleheed

When I change the blowers in my car from windscreen to forward facing air vents, or the other way around, it ofteb does my head in by automatically activating the AC or closing the recycle air seal. 

Is there any way to set these to only come on when I press their buttons? 

normally it disables recirculation on the windows because if its moisture on the window then passing recirculated air over it doesn't remove the moisture as quickly. the best air for taking moisture way is warm air... from outside. which is low in moisture.

AC is also really good at removing moisture. anyhow, I'm not sure of the specifics of your situation but its probably safe to say, its done that way for a reason, no matter how counter productive you may think it is :)

I agree with Pebbleheed here. it's doing my head in also on my fiesta. if the big dial is in demist position the aircon always comes on if I turn the fan on.  If the big dial is in the face vent position then the aircon comes on sometimes (not everytime) I turn the fan on.  At this time of year I need to turn the big dial from demost screen to face vents and vice versa and put fan on and off many times to keep the windscreen and the side windows demisted.  It is annoying to keep having to turn the aircon off. 

Most cars activate AC on the windscreen setting, but I can't say I've seen it on the face setting as well...last thing you want on a cold morning is a blast of icy air I would've thought!  Usually you can stay one notch before the screen to stop it activating, not sure if that works on the Fiesta? 

I just leave mine on feet and screen tbh, never activates AC or recirc without my input, screens stay clear and my feet don't get too chilly lol.  I like the screen air to 'gently' fall back towards me, rather than getting blown in the face. :smile: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Most cars activate AC on the windscreen setting, but I can't say I've seen it on the face setting as well...last thing you want on a cold morning is a blast of icy air I would've thought!  Usually you can stay one notch before the screen to stop it activating, not sure if that works on the Fiesta? 

I just leave mine on feet and screen tbh, never activates AC or recirc without my input, screens stay clear and my feet don't get too chilly lol.  I like the screen air to 'gently' fall back towards me, rather than getting blown in the face. :smile: 

Same, unless its bitterly cold and I need my hands warmed quickly, but it always goes back to feet and window, it helps limit the stupid heater controls which jump from cold to boiling within one notch on the dial.

ill see if ic an find the link later but there is a perfect combo for demisting the car

AC, no recirc, heat and widows open a bit.  

3 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

it helps limit the stupid heater controls which jump from cold to boiling within one notch on the dial.

Glad its not just mine...the manual temp control is awful on the mk2 Focus!  Start on the hottest setting, getting a bit hot 5 minutes in, turn the dial back a notch and nothing happens, two notches and it blasts some arctic air in! :laugh:  Still wish I'd held out for one with climate control lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Glad its not just mine...the manual temp control is awful on the mk2 Focus!  Start on the hottest setting, getting a bit hot 5 minutes in, turn the dial back a notch and nothing happens, two notches and it blasts some arctic air in! :laugh:  Still wish I'd held out for one with climate control lol.

I thought the tit X came with it as standard, (obviously not :) ) yeah, next car will have proper climate control, its bad enough trying to keep it right yourself but with my partner in the car as well ti becomes something of a warzone!  whilst I like retrofitting stuff I'm pretty sure I read something from your self before that it would be a pig of a job and effectively mean rebuilding the side of the car or something daft!

It's not a proper TitX. :sad:  They didn't make a Mk2/2.5 TitX spec sadly.  So it's a Titanium with most of the options of an X pack which doesn't fit in that little box under my name lol.  Anything optional had to chosen by the buyer, hence mine not having cruise or climate from the factory, yet having leathers and xenons... :unsure:  

On the Mk3, climate is standard on Titanium as it should be! :biggrin:  

If it was easy enough, I'd have retrofitted climate to mine, knowing I'd keep it a while, but it just was just too much hassle and cost.  Needs the whole dash board removing for a start...

• Like 1

I don't use the face level vents for blasting air at me, but I need to turn the dial to that to keep the side windows clear properly.  the choice of combinations is poor. On my mk6.5 I could get air at the foot of the windscreen and the face level vents (for clearing side windows) at the same time.  Can't be done on my mk7.5 .  so on certain days in certain driving condtions I need to turn the dial from one to the other and back again every few minutes.  pain in the a**e it is.  so that coupled with aircon thinking it knows what I want to do, it's all quite annoying . It all seems a backward step from the mk6.5 .  who do they get to test and give consumer feedback on these cars before they sell a new design?   have they made it better on mk8?   but I probably won't change my car again for at least 8 years

Doesn't it have the side vents covering the windows? (ones attached to the window blower option I mean)

you need AC on to help clear the moisture quickly (and keep it on because you are going to be pumping out bucket fulls of moist air) but crack the two windows an inch, makes a huge difference getting that moist air out of the car and replaced with fresh dry air.

""Doesn't it have the side vents covering the windows? (ones attached to the window blower option I mean)"

yes, but they don't seem adequate. The problem is most apparent when I get into slow traffic towards end of my journey to work. First 25 miles are reasonable fast then I get into traffic queues. particularly when it's raining. the screen and the side windows start misting up but I can't clear the windscreen and side windows at same time so have to constantly switch between the two (windscreen / face level vents - with the two middle ones closed). It might cope if I put the fan on high speed but then I can't stand the noise.  And that's with only me in the car. If I had the breath of passengers also it would be worse. 

10 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

and your using AC?

Going on the description I'd be very surprised if the AC is on, as the AC should be stripping the excess moisture out of the air and not allowing that issue to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Going on the description I'd be very surprised if the AC is on, as the AC should be stripping the excess moisture out of the air and not allowing that issue to happen.

I suspect your correct, off or broken, one of the two

• Like 1

I never use AC in the winter (oh no, think of the poor seals! :whistling: ) and don't get condensation mid-way through a drive.  Only time I get it is immediately after setting off, which is cleared within a few seconds of the quickclear.  Maybe you guys are moister than I am? :unsure: 

Might be worth changing the pollen filter?  Or try breathing less?

I never use AC in the winter (oh no, think of the poor seals! :whistling: ) and don't get condensation mid-way through a drive.  Only time I get it is immediately after setting off, which is cleared within a few seconds of the quickclear.  Maybe you guys are moister than I am? :unsure: 

Might be worth changing the pollen filter?  Or try breathing less?

Maybe some folk are sweatier than others?!? :tongue:

10 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Maybe some folk are sweatier than others?!? :tongue:

Lol, true!  Though, being a nervous wreck most of the time, I'm usually pretty sweaty as well. :tongue:   Having to frequently wipe the steering wheel to keep some grip on it isn't ideal. :laugh: 

Ah, the old myth that aircon only cools. The aircon comes on when you demist as ts the quickest way to remove moisture, you want in on, on a frosty morning. It won't actually be cooling.

Also, you should be running your aircon at least weekly if you want it to last the life of your car

On the Mk3 Titanium there is a single button demist. It turns on front and rear screen heaters, Air to Max flow to the windscreen, full heat and A/C on. these are the setting ford has determined will clear the screens the fastest, and I must say it does work superbly

• Like 2

Seals can Swim down south, I'm trying to help the poor starving mammals struggling to survive up here in Scotland, I say Bring on the warm weather, we are all happier when its warm, so lets help it on its way :biggrin:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

Ah, the old myth that aircon only cools. The aircon comes on when you demist as ts the quickest way to remove moisture, you want in on, on a frosty morning. It won't actually be cooling.

Also, you should be running your aircon at least weekly if you want it to last the life of your car

On the Mk3 Titanium there is a single button demist. It turns on front and rear screen heaters, Air to Max flow to the windscreen, full heat and A/C on. these are the setting ford has determined will clear the screens the fastest, and I must say it does work superbly

couldn't agree more, ford don't have those settings setup like that by chance.  In some cases it can be twice as quick. Get the AC on, for a short time crack the window an inch (just for 5 min or so) full heat, recirc off. job done. Ive heard sticking a sock full of cat litter or rice can help a lot too, don't think it gets that humid in these parts but perhaps it can help some of us!

Lol, true!  Though, being a nervous wreck most of the time, I'm usually pretty sweaty as well. :tongue:   Having to frequently wipe the steering wheel to keep some grip on it isn't ideal. :laugh: 

"Sorry officer, I didn't make that corner/mini roundabout as my hands were too sweaty and the steering wheel slipped" :biggrin:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Seals can Swim down south, I'm trying to help the poor starving mammals struggling to survive up here in Scotland, I say Bring on the warm weather, we are all happier when its warm, so lets help it on its way :biggrin:

Lol, air con system seals! :tongue:

They dry out if you don't use it over winter...  But I've never had any issues so far lol, never have used it in the cold on any car, wastes far too much fuel. :unsure:

4 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

"Sorry officer, I didn't make that corner/mini roundabout as my hands were too sweaty and the steering wheel slipped" :biggrin:

Only a matter of time! :ohmy:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, madmole said:

It won't actually be cooling

Well, as you said, the heater will be on full so it won't throw out cold air once the engine has warmed up but the aircon will be cooling because it's that which condenses the moisture out and dries the incoming air.

The single-button demist function is a boon. I had it on our old Mk1.5 Ghia and have it on our current Mk3 and it still astonishes me how quickly it clears the screen.

14 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol, air con system seals! :tongue:

They dry out if you don't use it over winter...  But I've never had any issues so far lol, never have used it in the cold on any car, wastes far too much fuel. :unsure:

Only a matter of time! :ohmy:

Hahaha, there was me thinking you trying to be all Eco warrior on us! :D 

That makes more sense! :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

It really does use lots of fuel, and saps a noticeable amount of power away from the engine.

Surely there has to be a better solution to having A/C turned on near permanently? I don't want to breathe in the foul black exhaust from old diesel vehicles either, so I have to keep recirculation turned on.