#16 baitman

baitman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo 2.0 tdci estate
  • Year: 2005

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

The manufacturers of the said tank additive all state it should not be added more than every 3,000 miles approx.

my brother had warned me that the forte is quite corrosive and can knacker engine parts if used continuously  but he reckoned there was nothing better if you needed a quick internal clean out. an !Removed! for you car  :wacko:

i only used the high concentration for a 20 mile run, then after that it was back to the diluted rate as per the instructions.

i wouldnt want to be running with this sort of additive in the fuel as a normal thing, it was just to try and ensure any crap deposited from burning the recycled gases was cleaned out, and it 'd been ages since the oil and filters had been changed so things were probably as bad as could be.

my brother had an egr problem with his saab. he recognised the issue, and didnt even open it up to clean it. he just ran some forte through and it sorted it out  :lol:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 bladeage

bladeage

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: PAUL
  • Ford Model: mondeo 2007 2.0 tdci old shape
  • Year: 2007

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hi,

The saab diesel engine is the same fitted to the vauxhall vectra etc etc (same car basically), which were developed by Fiat, so in actual fact the saab,vauxhall plant is a Fiat  :wacko: ....anyways.....I have just had my missis's Signum 150 in absolute bits due to the same poor running your brother had and I am 100% that egr cleaner as added to the fuel would absolutely not shift the amount of soot in an egr that causes problems all through the immediate induction system, the egr cleaner probably freed off the turbo and unblocked the egr pipe where it terminates at the turbo, they tend to block at the junction with the turbo in the first inch of pipe, once this is cleared the car usually runs ok again, the egr/dpf/injector/induction cleaner (basically the same stuff) is very good at shifting carbon where it burns hot,i.e.combustion chamber,turbo,catalytic convertor etc but when the gasses cool down as they reach parts such as the egr there is negligible effect and the only way of really removing soot and carbon from the egr,inlet manifold etc is to get yer fingers mucky......lol....trust me I am an expert on cdti carbon encrusted engines, I spent 3 weeks removing the said carbon/soot and after removing it all and power not being back to 100% I added a wynn's dpf treatment to over half the tank of diesel (lol I removed the DPF 15000 miles ago!!) and low and behold all was back to good in 30 miles.......I guess the kerosene additive freed the turbo and the egr pipe.

Got to remember most of all these threads are down to the EGR valves not necessarily giving up the ghost all in one go but they slowly over time block everything else up until they themselves stop working in the process, so when the egr is blocked and no longer working then simply cleaning the egr will only extinguish the dashboard light and stop the fault codes, after cleaning the egr then you need to clean the throttle body and then the inlet manifold (thats fun!), I think it is called, "cause and effect"!

When all is cleaned then put some cleaner fluid thru the tank to get where you couldnt with the varying size toothbrushes etc.

Lol...dont yer just love diesels! :lol:

#18 Wappygixer

Wappygixer

Mark

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: Mondeo mk3 Zetec Nav TDCI
  • Year: 2006

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

I'm on  my first diesel and Mondeo 130 tdci mk3.

It was running at the low 40's mpg on the trip computer. I cleaned the EGR valve which was caked as was the maqnifold which was also cleaned. I'm now getting around 48-49 mpg. This is on a 10 mile trip to work on mostly 30-40mph roads.

Its a very easy job to complete. The longest part was getting the manifold off and back on again due to all the wires in the way.

#19 bladeage

bladeage

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: PAUL
  • Ford Model: mondeo 2007 2.0 tdci old shape
  • Year: 2007

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Nice one!

It needs to be recognised more on the forums that just mending the root cause of a light on the dashboard and clearing the code does not necessarily mean that there aren't knock on problems that need sorting, that result from the root cause and this prime example of the EGR valve is one of them.

Just like the example of a Turbo with blown seals that you have put off changing for 12 months, during that time the Turbo has emptied most of the hot oil you will have lost into the intercooler,the hot oil that has not been trapped in the intercooler will then travel through the throttle body and into the cold inlet manifold which by coincidence is full of soot from your partially blocked EGR valve.....oil and soot stick together resulting in the gooey mess you have to clean out of your throttle body, you clean the throttle body but don't realise that the inlet manifold straight after the throttle body is even worse than what you have just cleaned and the gas flowed surfaces are actually now 2 mm thick in carbon because the previous 2 owners only ever cleaned the egr valve because it got rid of the light on the dashboard........do you see the vicious circle??????

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users