Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Management Light + Stuttering When Cold

Geoki

My 2005 SportKa engine management light started to come in during the recent cold snap. It came and went, and is now on all the time. Recently when cold it stutters in 2nd and 3rd gear, and then drives normally, light still on. Any ideas?

I tried to interogate the digital display, which gives DTC 1412, which is linked to secondary air injection.

I think this is a bum steer, as all the searching I've done points to one of the O2 sensors. Without buying a fault reader, and paying a garage vast amounts, has anyone else come across this.

Any help appreciated.

An update on this problem. I bought a cheap code reader, which worked a treat, and gave me two error codes for the bank 1 O2 sensor. I've ordered a new one, so we'll see how that goes.

• 3 weeks later...

was it the sensor then? we have this also on the wifes streetka, where did you get the fault code reader and sensor?

You shouldn't need a fault code reader - the later Kas have a digital display (including the Streetka/Sportka I believe). Insert the key and hold the trip meter button BEFORE you turn the key - then keeping holding the button, start the engine, and keep holding the button until the gauges do a full sweep. Then cycle through the display and it should give you back the codes.

The same has happened to my girlfriends, and it's the same code. It's the Pre-Cat lambda sensor, on the heatshield at the back of the engine. Job done!

The same has happened to my girlfriends, and it's the same code. It's the Pre-Cat lambda sensor, on the heatshield at the back of the engine. Job done!

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the "pre-cat lambda sensor" is the same as the oxygen sensor.

As an update to my original post, the bank 1 (top of manifold), O2 sensor was replaced.

I originally bought a cheap one off eBay, which cleared the management light, but made the stuttering worse when the engine was hot, it also added an 'engine running lean' code. Getting frustrated, I put it into the local Ford dealers, who diagnosed the replacement O2 sensor as 'not being specially calibrated' like the ford O2 sensor. Anyway its fine now. Stick to quality or original parts.

As for the fault codes being read from the digital display, I did try this, and it came up with 'DTC 1412'. Which is to do with secondary air injection, something this engine doesn't have (I don't think). I bought a U480 reader from eBay, very cheap, approx £24, and it couldn't be easier to use. The OBD port is behind a flap in the passenger footwell.

If you're planning on doing this job yourself, you need a very deep 22mm socket and lots of penetrating oil, and be prepared to cut the cable off the old one. I did see in a parts shop a special tool for removing injectors (27mm), with a window cut out, to allow the cable and plug through, but I couldn't find a 22mm version.

Hope this helps.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

great info guys - thanks.

where did you get the lambda/o2 sensor from, how much £ also?

i looked at the digital display to find codes etc, but after the gauges do the sweep, theres probably 8-10 different readings when pressing the button to go through the numbers/codes etc. what are they all!!? which are the fault codes, as im sure one was a digital rev counter reading...

great info guys - thanks.

where did you get the lambda/o2 sensor from, how much £ also?

i looked at the digital display to find codes etc, but after the gauges do the sweep, theres probably 8-10 different readings when pressing the button to go through the numbers/codes etc. what are they all!!? which are the fault codes, as im sure one was a digital rev counter reading...

ide stay away from most eBay parts like that as they tend not to work ive always found just getting the genuine ford stuff saves you money in the long run

• 4 weeks later...

any further info on the codes after the guages have done a full sweep? i still dont know what they all mean.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club