Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre time.

Phil21185

Ok looks like a slow in NSF and as both front tyres are pretty much on the blocks, I'm not interested in a repair, time for some new ones.

It's got conti premium 5s on it at the minute and I think all 4 were but NSR has been changed to a Falken at some point. 

I never liked the way the fronts looked slightly flat with these on, even when at 35psi so hopefully a more solid tyre will stop that. 

Now to the purpose of the post.

I like the look of the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance, but I like the price of the blackcircles Quality Choice tyres which only seem to lose out by one grade on wet grip and a few decibels noise...

Reviews say that generally they are at least as good as several big brand tyres.

I told myself it not skimp with this car but it's hard to ignore an almost 50% price reduction for ostensibly fairly decent tyres.

Not strictly on a budget here but saving is always nice!

Thoughts? Get what you pay for? Or as long as it's rubber?

You are quite difficult to help. You don't say what size your tyres are and you don't say what you want from them except that you don't want to pay too much for them.

"blackcircles Quality Choice tyres" are probably whatever budget tyres they think that can get good money for and will be different in each different size and possibly even from week to week.

In context then all I can say is that you would probably prefer XL tyres to non-XL tyres.

I recently got 4x Bridgestones off blackcircles for £380 ?

"Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 225/40 R18 W (92), Reinforced x 4"

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Ok looks like a slow in NSF and as both front tyres are pretty much on the blocks, I'm not interested in a repair, time for some new ones.

It's got conti premium 5s on it at the minute and I think all 4 were but NSR has been changed to a Falken at some point. 

I never liked the way the fronts looked slightly flat with these on, even when at 35psi so hopefully a more solid tyre will stop that. 

Now to the purpose of the post.

I like the look of the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance, but I like the price of the blackcircles Quality Choice tyres which only seem to lose out by one grade on wet grip and a few decibels noise...

Reviews say that generally they are at least as good as several big brand tyres.

I told myself it not skimp with this car but it's hard to ignore an almost 50% price reduction for ostensibly fairly decent tyres.

Not strictly on a budget here but saving is always nice!

Thoughts? Get what you pay for? Or as long as it's rubber?

Hi Phil. 

I've been running Goodyear efficient grip performance (make sure you get the performance ones as there is a similar tyre just called the goodyear efficient grip and has lower ratings) on my cars for the last couple of years.  I've found them to be good but then i don't corner like an idiot.  I like to have the A wet rating and the B for fuel is a plus.  My personal opinion is not to skimp on tyres and to have the best rating in the wet.  A few extra meters could be the difference in the right circumstances.  I think i pay around £60 per tyre from Halfords autocentre.

Don't go for the BlackCircles quality choice, it'll still be some cheap chinese crap but with a 'lifetime guarantee'.

I went for the quality choice on my last car and they were Sailun Attezo tyres and they were possibly the worst tyres I've ever had for grip. They lasted well though.

Personally I'd go for either some Avon ZV7's (very good tyre with decent grip) or a Uniroyal Rain Expert 2; I've not used the Uniroyal but I had the original Rain Expert on another car.

Other than that, have a look for Kumho's or Hankooks both brands I highly recommend if you're on a budget.

These are what I'm going for when I change my tyres in the next few weeks

1514745748651.jpg
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BOF said:

You are quite difficult to help. You don't say what size your tyres are and you don't say what you want from them except that you don't want to pay too much for them.

"blackcircles Quality Choice tyres" are probably whatever budget tyres they think that can get good money for and will be different in each different size and possibly even from week to week.

In context then all I can say is that you would probably prefer XL tyres to non-XL tyres.

Well since my profile, signature and build thread all have a Mk3 focus plastered all over them, not to mention being in a focus forum, I don't think it would have been too hard to figure out at least what they were for, if not the size.

Not that I believe the size of the tyre is relevant to its performance or function.

Also I put in the listing that I'm interested in the Goodyear which perhaps might have given a good grounding as to the level I'm looking at.

Next, I also mentioned that I wasn't really on a budget, not that I didn't want to pay too much but that the alternatives seemed interesting. 

Finally, I closed my post by asking for people's thoughts which I assumed was fairly straightforward and apparently so did everyone else who answered.

So as far as being difficult to help, I don't quite see where you were coming from as I just asked for people's opinions on these two types of tyre if indeed they had an opinion. I even offered the beginnings of a discussion with the very last two sentences of my post just in case someone wanted to say something but was incapable of independent thought.

Happy New Year, sir.

Thankfully I still received the answer to my question. Goodyears it is.:smile:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil21185 said:

Well since my profile, signature and build thread all have a Mk3 focus plastered all over them, not to mention being in a focus forum, I don't think it would have been too hard to figure out at least what they were for, if not the size.

Not that I believe the size of the tyre is relevant to its performance or function.

Also I put in the listing that I'm interested in the Goodyear which perhaps might have given a good grounding as to the level I'm looking at.

Next, I also mentioned that I wasn't really on a budget, not that I didn't want to pay too much but that the alternatives seemed interesting. 

Finally, I closed my post by asking for people's thoughts which I assumed was fairly straightforward and apparently so did everyone else who answered.

So as far as being difficult to help, I don't quite see where you were coming from as I just asked for people's opinions on these two types of tyre if indeed they had an opinion. I even offered the beginnings of a discussion with the very last two sentences of my post just in case someone wanted to say something but was incapable of independent thought.

Happy New Year, sir.

Thankfully I still received the answer to my question. Goodyears it is.:smile:

Just had my fronts changed today to A Three A P606's up to now 100miles in im impressed I just changed from Goodyear efficient grips and they wore too fast, wasn't great at speed cornering (not excessively but you could feel the tyre trying to fold I guess) they're excellent in the wet and dry but nothing compared to the P606's I have now. I assume your tyre profile is 215/50/17

215/55/16 mate. What sort of price are they? GY's are about £100 a corner...

3 hours ago, wilto said:

These are what I'm going for when I change my tyres in the next few weeks

1514745748651.jpg

Holy ***** I just spotted your reply. That's a good price for all 4! Anyone else rate the nexens? These are a bit fat, low and big for my wheels though :)

edit:. Really!? Can't say P00P???

I always do a lot of research when I buy something quite expensive, and I'm satisfied these will serve my driving style perfectly.

I've currently got  low budget kiezer KR 20's tyres on the car at the moment, have done since I bought the car, and they have been fine. The tyres I'm planning on fitting are supposedly a league above what I've got at the moment, so I'm willing to give them a try, for £43 a corner you can't go wrong.

I've been putting budget tyres on my car for years, don't know if I'm lucky or not but NEVER had any issues with budget tyres, maybe I don't push them that hard.

I know my limits, and I know my tyres limits.

If I remember correctly it's 70 mph ✌️

Nuff said.....

56 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

215/55/16 mate. What sort of price are they? GY's are about £100 a corner...

£50 for that profile pal, local tyre garages stock them near me most likely your area too. Getting them put on the Mondeo soon too.

If those Roadstones are as bad as the Nfera, I wouldn't bother.

Nexen aren't exactly great IME, stick to names you know/have heard of.

They can't be that bad at 70 mph, like I said earlier, in this day and age unless you got a high performance car, that you drive like you've stole it, what's the point in £100 tyres, I really don't get it 🤔

Quite often the reviews turn out to be AS good as the LEADING brands.

• Like 1

Personally when it comes to rubber I go with best you can afford method as it'd the only thing keeping you stuck to the road. 

I've heard good things bout the Goodyear tyres, pun intended, so I'd go for them if it was me.. 

On a side note it's a pity you can't try before you buy with tyres! 

Well this is kinda my point. I've only ever been able to afford budget tyres in the past and to be honest I've never had a problem in wet, dry or snow. 

I'm now in a position to spend a bit more but I'm struggling to see if it's worth it when there are so many apparently good quality tyres at "we don't have a massive advertising campaign to finance" prices...

2 hours ago, Dave1981 said:

Personally when it comes to rubber I go with best you can afford method as it'd the only thing keeping you stuck to the road. 

I've heard good things bout the Goodyear tyres, pun intended, so I'd go for them if it was me.. 

On a side note it's a pity you can't try before you buy with tyres! 

I get this but the ratings on cheap tyres seem to be as good as those on high end tyres... If that's all there is to go on then it's hard to be sure what is a 'better' tyre...

I think I missed the joke btw :/

Hahaha I ain't explain it again. Or it cud be my northern humour! Or lack of lol. 

If ratings r the same then yes I can see why it wud be hard to justify the extra cash. It's just personal pref, I've mentioned on the forum before my focus came with Michelin premecy 3 fitted and I hated them so much I'll never touch Michelin again. Yet others on here recommend them. 

The way I see it is they all wear out the same so why pay more for different rubber it's just a waste of money budgets all the way.

• Like 1

They act look gd those tyres. 

As for they all wear out so are all the same, well that's just not true. 

That's like saying a 1ltr engine is the same a w16 quad turbo cause they burns fuel in the same way so why would anyone buy a big engined car. 

A cheap £20 tyre whilst perfectly legal hasn't got the grip or handling, wet or dry, of a £100 premium brand tyre, independent tests prove that. But some ppl like buying brands they trust and don't mind paying whilst some like buying the cheapest legal option and both are fine. 

• Like 2

I get what you mean defo wouldn't be getting a tyre for 20 quid though would be utter junk 50-60 a corner is my budget atm.

That I can understand and is my point. Buy they best you can afford as they are the only thing keeping you on the road. My Dunlop sport blu responce were £56 a corner and I love em. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave1981 said:

That I can understand and is my point. Buy they best you can afford as they are the only thing keeping you on the road. My Dunlop sport blu responce were £56 a corner and I love em. 

Now that is value for a recognised brand. You b*stards! You haven't helped me decide at all!!! :wink:

Think I'll get some retreaded part worns from el polski garageszi round the corner.

I like ditches...

• Haha 1

Haha haha of all place kwikfit!! Ordered online. As much as I don't like the company price was a bargain. 

205/55/16