Do Not Sell My Personal Information

re map mondeo tdci?

ged600

Recently bought a Mondeo on a 13 plate 2.0 tdci 138 bhp, anyone on here done a re map and if so has it improved power and mpg?

Had a price of £249 with 30 day money back if not happy!

Hi ged600. I had a mk4 2.0 diesel mondeo and found it lacking. I had it remapped and the DPF gutted and it transformed the car. More torque and power (remap took it to 140 at the wheels meaning 170). Economy was better too by about 4-5 mpg.
I'd get it remapped but as far as gutting the dpf that could be a problem with the MOT coz I believe now they tap it to see if it's hollow or not.

• Thanks 1

I've used superchips and been very happy with them, better mpg and driveability worth talking to them very knowledgeable 

A gutted DPF is an MOT failure 

• Thanks 1

At the moment a gutted dpf is not an mot failure, a missing one however would be.

the tester cannot tell what is or isn't inside - and what he can't see he can't fail. 

Rules are set to change shortly though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2018 at 12:48 PM, tazzman600 said:

Hi ged600. I had a mk4 2.0 diesel mondeo and found it lacking. I had it remapped and the DPF gutted and it transformed the car. More torque and power (remap took it to 140 at the wheels meaning 170). Economy was better too by about 4-5 mpg.
I'd get it remapped but as far as gutting the dpf that could be a problem with the MOT coz I believe now they tap it to see if it's hollow or not.

Sorry but what is the dpf? The company I got quoted from never mentioned that?

DPF stands for "Diesel Particulate Filter" and is fitted to ALL euro 5 and Euro 6 diesel engines i.e. all modern diesels.  It's designed to stop the microscopic carcinogenic particles that all diesel engines chuck out from ending up in the atmosphere.

The DPF causes a little bit of restriction in the exhaust so removing it and then having a custom remap will give the maximum increase in performance/economy.  At the moment diesels are just tested for "smoke" output but it seems that things are about to change and future MOT standards may well include some sort of check to ensure the DPF is present and working properly.  (Not good news for the many people that knew it was illegal to remove their DPF but did it to avoid the high replacement costs or to get better performance.)

• Thanks 1

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:11 AM, stef123 said:

At the moment a gutted dpf is not an mot failure, a missing one however would be.

the tester cannot tell what is or isn't inside - and what he can't see he can't fail. 

Rules are set to change shortly though.

I still cant see any changes to the test, I see there is a revision for May 18 which talks about lowering the smoke limits but it still talks about things being "Readily Visible" which is the same as before so assuming you meet the Smoke test and you cant see the can I'm not all that sure it makes any difference, or have I missed something?

1 hour ago, Dee_82 said:

I still cant see any changes to the test, I see there is a revision for May 18 which talks about lowering the smoke limits but it still talks about things being "Readily Visible" which is the same as before so assuming you meet the Smoke test and you cant see the can I'm not all that sure it makes any difference, or have I missed something?

There is talk of being able to test for Dpf and egr deletes. Not sure if there is a proposed date yet or not. 

1 hour ago, stef123 said:

There is talk of being able to test for Dpf and egr deletes. Not sure if there is a proposed date yet or not. 

Hmm, they really should put something out there about what they intend to do, I imagine that not only are there a lot of cars out there without a DPF but I suspect a good number of them probably don't even know its been gutted by a previous owner. EGR is probably easier to test for, with a bit of luck we will have left Europe before that gets introduced and we can all go back to not deliberately shafting out engines

It’s going to write a few cars off anyway that’s for sure. 

There is plenty of talk of it at the moment, but I can’t yet find you a piece of official information on it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, iantt said:

I've not heard anything, and I'm a tester.

It was a tester who first told me about it :lol: 

theres a draft service change on the .gov website, its due to be live in May 2018 but ive read it and I cant see anything in there about new tests other than a lowering of the bar on smoke test. No new gear or anything. 

I'm actually looking at getting a 2l 143ps Mondeo, I know it has a DPF but its a lot cheaper to fix than the 1.6 tdci and you don't need to remove half the engine to get it out :)

if I get it I'm thinking a wee remap will be in order as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dee_82 said:

theres a draft service change on the .gov website, its due to be live in May 2018 but ive read it and I cant see anything in there about new tests other than a lowering of the bar on smoke test. No new gear or anything. 

I'm actually looking at getting a 2l 143ps Mondeo, I know it has a DPF but its a lot cheaper to fix than the 1.6 tdci and you don't need to remove half the engine to get it out :)

if I get it I'm thinking a wee remap will be in order as well

I can't see lowering the "smoke" limit doing much for diesels that have had their DPF's removed.  My dirty old 1.8 TDCi which doesn't have a DPF (and never did have) and is based on an engine from the 80's "scored" just 0.20 on the smoke test in it's recent MOT (I gather the limit is being lowered to 1.5).

I can't imagine that a significantly newer design i.e. the PUG 2.0 TDCi even if it's designed to have a DPF will be able to chuck out out more "smoke" than my engine (assuming it's running properly).

I guess we'll find out by summer time :biggrin:

• Like 2

quite a few engines emit that low a smoke level that the emmisions tester doesnt record a reading. and some ( vw and others) limit the revs at standstill to 2000rpm and record very low smoke readings , then you drive up the road after a service and so much smoke blows out you cant see the car behind. vw sussed that one out. lol
the draft was stating the emmisions manufactures were going to have 6 months notice of any change required to all the machines.
to date mot testers and site admin have had no communication of any change to diesel emmision testing software. im betting the lower limits will apply to stage 6 onward vehicles only and not older vehicles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, iantt said:

quite a few engines emit that low a smoke level that the emmisions tester doesnt record a reading. and some ( vw and others) limit the revs at standstill to 2000rpm and record very low smoke readings , then you drive up the road after a service and so much smoke blows out you cant see the car behind. vw sussed that one out. lol
the draft was stating the emmisions manufactures were going to have 6 months notice of any change required to all the machines.
to date mot testers and site admin have had no communication of any change to diesel emmision testing software. im betting the lower limits will apply to stage 6 onward vehicles only and not older vehicles.

At 12 years old and with a recently fitted Spider Arachnid tuning box attached I was well pleased with it sailing through the MOT, especially with such a low smoke result as I know the 1.8 TDCi doesn't have any fancy "cheat" modes for when it's being revved at a standstill like the VW's.  (it just revs out like an old tractor) :biggrin:

Regarding the tuning box I'm still on my 1st tank of fuel since I fitted it but once I've done 3 full tanks I'll be sure to post my results on the forum as they might prove useful to someone (If I remember correctly the previous threads on here for this tuning box have been for the 1.6 TDCi so I think it'll be interesting to see how it compares when attached to a different engine)..

8 hours ago, iantt said:

I just put the car into limo mode for the mot :lol: 

oops not allowed to say that. 

• Haha 1

That will make Interesting reading Damian. The Spider got rave reviews and to me a bit ott and bordering on exaggeration.
I'm no expert nor do I read up on government websites but I think that any 'new' test for diesels will be primarily for new euro 6 and later variant. However coz of the hoohaa about 'smelly dirty' diesels the older cars will eventually be either tested off the roads or taxed off the roads.
But to the point of this thread and I'll repeat myself. Yes go for a remap. You'll love it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club