Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr delete and lowered back pressure on turbo

Ghia15

Hi. 

I am looking to do an egr delete on my 57 1.8 tdci mondeo. How easy is it to do and what are the pros and cons?

Also I am looking to modify the exhaust to lower the back pressure on the turbo to help it spool up quicker. What would be needed to do this?

thanks

Any one got any info on doing an egr delete??

thanks

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:43 PM, Ghia15 said:

Hi. 

I am looking to do an egr delete on my 57 1.8 tdci mondeo. How easy is it to do and what are the pros and cons?

Also I am looking to modify the exhaust to lower the back pressure on the turbo to help it spool up quicker. What would be needed to do this?

thanks

EGR is dead easy, its top centre at the back, you may get EMLs though, a mate of mine had to get the EGR mapped out but that may have been down to a dodgy cable.

Backpressure on the turbo is for almost all situations, a lot of nonsense.

Its extremely complex but the jist of it is , back pressure is bad, but backpressure is a result of how restrictive the exhaust is, if you have a low restrictive exhaust you will have a very low level of exhaust velocity. low velocity equals a higher pressure zone at the rear of the exhaust gas which in turn makes it harder to evacuate all the exhaust gas from the cylinder (you want a lower pressure zone behind the gas to help draw out the remaining gas from the cylinder, low pressure comes from a higher velocity exhaust) 

equally, having a highly restrictive exhaust with a high velocity will mean you generate a higher pressure zone in front of the exhaust gas making it harder to evacuate the cylinder and clear it from the exhaust pipe.

You need it in the middle, a fine balance of good velocity and medium levels of restriction. its even more complex than that as each cylinder interacts with the others with negative pressure waves and stuff which I struggle to understand myself but for simplicity you need it right down the middle which is something you cant really work out without proper testing equipment.

however a 1.8 TDCI generates about 120bhp +-5

from memory, your exhaust is about 2 to 2.25in, which will give you a range of around 150bhp and 190bhp before you run in to problems of it being too restrictive.

basically what I'm getting at is that if you do anything to the exhaust to make it less restrictive, at best you wont notice any improvement (other than that placebo effect we all get when we want it to do something good) and worst you might actually slow it down a little that is unless you pump up the power somewhat! but even then a 2.5in pipe is good for about 250bhp, I seriously doubt you will be getting that from the 1.8tdci :)

in short, don't bother, save some money and get it remapped :) 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

basically what I'm getting at is that if you do anything to the exhaust to make it less restrictive, at best you wont notice any improvement (other than that placebo effect we all get when we want it to do something good) and worst you might actually slow it down a little that is unless you pump up the power somewhat! but even then a 2.5in pipe is good for about 250bhp, I seriously doubt you will be getting that from the 1.8tdci :)

in short, don't bother, save some money and get it remapped :) 

Too right, if I recall correctly the intake is fairly small/narrow on this engine so I doubt anything more than 170 BHP MAX is possible because I don't think it would be possible to get enough air INTO the engine to go higher, let alone worrying about exhaust gases back pressure.

I'd definitely go the remap route if the aim was more performance, although the engine isn't the last word in refinement it definitely has a decent reserve of untapped performance.  Along this line I've recently got hold of a Spider Arachnid tuning box "el cheapo" thanks to fleabay and my initial observations are positive i.e. a bit more torque in the lowest power mode and with slightly improved economy so a win win all round.  I've not tried turning it up yet tho :biggrin:

On a personal note as I have this engine in my Focus, I'd love to see what someone with the means to mod properly could achieve on this engine without going full on daft.  (Purely for my own personal curiosity rather than because I think the engine is capable of anything amazing).

• Like 1

that engine is a marvel of creation, designed as a quick disposable engine ford soon realised that its actually bomb proof! I think your right on the intake side, the tubo is relatively small, theres plenty of scope to increase the fueling, we dropped a MAF sensors in to the car from a different engine, cant remember which one but ill have the part number someplace, anyhow, the sensor was showing about 40% more air passing through it and damn, what a difference it made, the ECU was pumping in fuel to meet the fuel/air ratio and she was bellowing black smoke when you put the hammer down but she did it, bigger turbo, more air, it will automatically change the fuel it seems so if you wanted a quick and relatively inexpensive boost that's probably something to look at. I don't think off the shelf maps produce much in the way of power and I'm sure that's down tot he turbo so you will probably need to look in to changing parts to get a significant boost.

I'm looking at getting a 2l 136bph  Mondeo on the cheap (free!) looks like it can do 160-180 with an off the shelf map, ill be happy with that :D

• Like 1

Sounds interesting on the maf sensor. 

Would be interesting to see what improvement that would give.

i have fitted the K&N air filter, panel type, and done the egr delete and while not a huge power boost the engine does seem to have less lag and runs smoother. 

Looking to get her properly re mapped soon to make the most of it all. 

Not looking for massive power from the car but a nice increase in drive ability and economy would be good. 

Any sugestions on any other things that I should look to do to make the most of a full re map?

thanks

we ran numbers on a high flow filter before a remap on that engine and it showed almost no difference on MAF, it was slightly up but within the margin of error.

try it yourself, get a ELM adaptor, use forscan and record the MAF, torque, RPM. do it before and after and see what happens.

I have a high flow filter and it makes very little difference but what it does do is allow me to clean it and with some airbox modifications, it sounds awesome :D

get your map and use decent fuel, theres not much more you can do without changing out parts.

There is a very lengthy discussion about "performance" filters but the main bullet points are:

1. Power or flow increase is none in stock cars (stock= standard turbo, intake, exhaust).

2. Performance filters should be washed and keep moist. Many people found that liquid is deposited over time on the MAF sensor falsifying readings. K&N claims that their liquid does not impact MAF but they agree that most will.

3. Most "induction kits" suck hot air from the engine bay reducing stock power by few %.

1.8 TDCi is an 8 valve engine so I'm not sure how much you want to achieve. I've seen 125bhp but that's probably max you can realistically achieve.

Could you explain why you have purchased a 1.8 to spend money to upgrade power instead of buying a 2.0 or 2.2 TDCi? No, this is not a sarcastic question. I'm just interested.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, mkaminski100 said:

1.8 TDCi is an 8 valve engine so I'm not sure how much you want to achieve. I've seen 125bhp but that's probably max you can realistically achieve.

There are multiple reports just on this forum from people who have had 1.8 TDCi remapped to 145+ BHP.  If memory serves @Stoney871 had his old 1.8 TDCi mapped to just under 148 BHP which was confirmed on a rolling road.  I doubt that much more than this is possible due to the previously mentioned intake restriction but I suspect the bump in torque is more important than the BHP increase.

aye, pretty sure you can get 135 with an off the shelf remap let alone a custom job.  The engine itself is bomb proof but I just don't think you will get much more without some serious intake modifications.  As I said before, at the power you can expect to get on this engine, there is no point spending money on modifications to the intake or exhaust, however, you can get some nice noise form her. Make her a little more throaty with a modified airbox and remove the back box. don't expect any performance increase but if you do it at the same time as you remap you can feel like your driving a monster :)

I'm sorry, you are correct. I thought that you are referring to focus MK1, which in long run can cope with max 125-130bhp.

Yours can be tuned to max 150, but I don't know how the DMF and injection system will cope with that as ford used different parts in different models.

This engine is no longer bullet proof due to wet belt between the crankshaft and fuel pump. It used to be chain, but ford decided to keep it oiled but used belt cassette instead, hence many belt failures.
Injection system is now better than in the old Fords (Delphi), but the EGR is even more of a pain and as I remember it is part of the intake manifold.

58 minutes ago, mkaminski100 said:

Injection system is now better than in the old Fords (Delphi), but the EGR is even more of a pain and as I remember it is part of the intake manifold.

Yup, actually removing the EGR is a real PITA on MK2 Focus version of the engine.  I'd quite enjoy slapping (repeatedly) the person who decided to make it part of the intake manifold and a fairly large job to remove!

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair. 

Never wanted huge power from the engine. Just a bit more of a poke would be good. 

Got a 1.8 as it was a good spec car at a good price and I remember how well my old 115bhp Mondy went so wasn’t worried too much. 

I have done the egr delete and used a K&N and it does feel happier to drive. Smoother and more responsive. Might also be the reflex in every tank and a good service

Going to do another service in 1000 miles as with all the fuel system cleaner going through it it will make the oil crap up quicker. Has done when my other cars have had the same treatment. 

Might remove the back box and then re map at some point. 

Already got my eye on a new shape 180bhp 2.0 tdci wth start stop and a higher spec. But for now I love my boost bus that I can lob anything in the back, from an old Essex V6, stuff for the dump or the lads when we go muddy paint balling. 

One of the best cars I have had.