Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Tramlining

SuttonRider

I've just taken on a 2017 Focus with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres, size 235 / 40 - 18.  I run them at 30 psi. They are down to around 3mm at the front, so I'm thinking of replacing them soon. However I'm finding that they 'Tramline' is that normal for these tyres. Can anyone recommend a mid price tyre (around £100 ish) that doesn't tramline.

Thanks

It's primarily the width of the tyre and partly suspension setup that causes tramlining, my ST does it on 18" 235 profiles, my Zetec S did it on 18" 235 profiles. Each were different tyres. The ST is worse due to the stiffer suspension.

You'd have to go smaller/narrower to avoid it. The Focus on regular 16" or 17" and 215 profile doesn't tramline as much.

• Like 1

Interesting thanks for that, my last Focus ran 215 / 50 17 and that was fine, no tramlining at all. Is it possible with the existing wheels to fit narrower tyres?

Not really, the alloys themselves are 0.5" wider, so you'd end up with the stretched look if you fitted narrower ones.

It's just something you have to live with on wider lower profile tyres unfortunately.

Also 30psi seems a bit under inflated. Try at 35psi all round , that’s a preferred pressure on other Focus forums for the 18” 235 profile. 

Also Michelin PS4 are the predecessor to PS3 . But you might pay £130 a corner thou, best to shop around. 

Had Michelin Tyres on a 1.6 180 , 18" ford five spokes and they never Tram-lined. Inflate all the tyres to 2.1 Bar which is just a tad over 30psi as per the manual. Unless of course you are carrying a full compliment of passengers and luggage. There is a reason the manufacturers state the correct tyre pressure. 35psi is over inflated and will lead the the centre tread wearing out quickly not to mention odd handling characteristics. Under inflation wears out the edges. 

My other halfs Focus Zetec with standard alloys had the same tyre pressures as the 1.6 180 I used to own.

Michelins are excellent tyres and tend not to degrade as much as Continentals when worn. You still have a few thousand miles left on the tyres if you leave them to 2.5mm.

Remember it is not YOUR preferred pressure that is correct, it is the manufacturers pressure that is correct.

Also, make sure the tyres were fitted the correct way round, either asymmetric tyres with words "outside" on the outside of all the tyres or directional tyres where the 'V' shape points down and on the outside of the tyre it shows direction of travel. I have had two garages fit the tyres incorrectly on my cars in the past. Some people rotate tyres incorrectly and put them backwards on the wrong axle. Directional tyres can only be rotated front to back. 

Failing that, check you haven't knocked the suspension and it is out of alignment or the tracking is out, Check for even wear across tyres and if it isn't get it checked.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club