Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Really annoying problem

Aaron8266

Hi guys

Sorry to burden you all with my problems again. Ok same 1.8 petrol focus 1998 s plate hatchback.

Firstly when i lift the clutch to get the biting point it wants to stall, i mean it shudders like its an earthquake, give it a sec and lift a little higher and all is fine and you have a biting point.

Secondly, everytime i accelerate usually after changing gear there is a psst noise from behind the engine somewhere. I have had a guy look at it and ran a diagnostics test and told me the catalytic converter and front lambda sensor needed changing (i dont know this guy and he has a proper backstreet garage, but he was willing to let me have the work done else where, so i did and cheaper). I have done what he said but the problem is still there. The noise is like a build up of pressure being released, not too loud but noticable.

Thirdly, car hesitates to accelerate and sometimes jumps on acceleration. When maintaining speed you can sometimes feel it slightly jumping and when you slow down or take your foot off the accelerator it also shudders and jumps. The jumping is not bad like kangerooing but again noticable.

I have spent £200 already to try and sort this which hasnt worked, i would appreciate any advise any of you have before i spend another load of money on something that dont cure it.

Cheers to anyone who could shed some light on this. And i hope i can help solve your problems in the future!!

Hi guys

Sorry to burden you all with my problems again. Ok same 1.8 petrol focus 1998 s plate hatchback.

Firstly when i lift the clutch to get the biting point it wants to stall, i mean it shudders like its an earthquake, give it a sec and lift a little higher and all is fine and you have a biting point.

Secondly, everytime i accelerate usually after changing gear there is a psst noise from behind the engine somewhere. I have had a guy look at it and ran a diagnostics test and told me the catalytic converter and front lambda sensor needed changing (i dont know this guy and he has a proper backstreet garage, but he was willing to let me have the work done else where, so i did and cheaper). I have done what he said but the problem is still there. The noise is like a build up of pressure being released, not too loud but noticable.

Thirdly, car hesitates to accelerate and sometimes jumps on acceleration. When maintaining speed you can sometimes feel it slightly jumping and when you slow down or take your foot off the accelerator it also shudders and jumps. The jumping is not bad like kangerooing but again noticable.

I have spent £200 already to try and sort this which hasnt worked, i would appreciate any advise any of you have before i spend another load of money on something that dont cure it.

Cheers to anyone who could shed some light on this. And i hope i can help solve your problems in the future!!

I had a similar noise and ended up being the muffler (i think thats the right word) in the exhaust was coming out, ended up having to have that section of exhaust replaced and was fine. Could be same

I had a similar noise and ended up being the muffler (i think thats the right word) in the exhaust was coming out, ended up having to have that section of exhaust replaced and was fine. Could be same

Did you change the mid or rear section? I was having a look earlier and maybe thinking its the mid section but not sure if that can cause a build up of pressure??

Did you suffer any of the other symptons i explained? Lack of power and choking/jumping

Thanks for your feedback though, i will definately look into it!

Did you change the mid or rear section? I was having a look earlier and maybe thinking its the mid section but not sure if that can cause a build up of pressure??

Did you suffer any of the other symptons i explained? Lack of power and choking/jumping

ide be looking at the hoses in the bay possible vacum hose have you checked the intake from the throttle body to airbox is on right with no holes in it also check theres no cracks in the manifold

ide be looking at the hoses in the bay possible vacum hose have you checked the intake from the throttle body to airbox is on right with no holes in it also check theres no cracks in the manifold

Thanks for the feedback Artscot79. Hopefully i can put these ideas to a friend if i cant find anything myself, just dont want to waste more money if its not needed, so annoying!

Thanks guys!

I didn't notice much, BUT i noticed the noise on the motorway and pulled over straight away, saw the problem and went straight to the garage :) I think it was the rear bit (back box!?)

I didn't notice much, BUT i noticed the noise on the motorway and pulled over straight away, saw the problem and went straight to the garage :) I think it was the rear bit (back box!?)

1 hose to check youll need to remove it to check it and youll need a pipe clip to refit but open the bay and look to the right side of the engine now look to the rear and behind the thermostat housing youll have to lean over youll see a thin metal pipe with a rubber hose attatched that bends then goes straight then bends round to the rear of the engine just under the throttle body start the car with it connected and look at the bend if the rubber is pinching together the hose needs replaced if not remove and check for holes or splits even ford misss this pipe and it can cause all sorts of problems including what youve mentioned the end connected to the thin pipe may be stubborn just assist it sliding off using a flat blade screwdriver when refitting smaer a dab of wd40 on the end and it should slide on easily

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club