Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flash Code 16 - No crank.

Ruiz123

7 minutes ago, Ruiz123 said:

I could, maybe, push the pin in (centre of level clean cut) then place copper from loom wire onto pin/clean cut so there is SOME contact, then solder?

That sounds similar to what I had in mind. Push pin into the ECU "clean cut", then solder the pin in while you can get the iron on to it. Then get the loom wire as close as possible, wrapping round the pin, then solder again, trying to bridge the two. There may not be direct copper to copper contact, but it is the best you can do in the circumstances.

Maybe look out for a 2nd hand ECU loom later, I suspect a new one would be an atrocious price, if available at all. But I think this joint should last quite well if protected.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

That sounds similar to what I had in mind. Push pin into the ECU "clean cut", then solder the pin in while you can get the iron on to it. Then get the loom wire as close as possible, wrapping round the pin, then solder again, trying to bridge the two. There may not be direct copper to copper contact, but it is the best you can do in the circumstances.

Maybe look out for a 2nd hand ECU loom later, I suspect a new one would be an atrocious price, if available at all. But I think this joint should last quite well if protected.

It will be done tomorrow night with pics!

2nd hand loom £40 eBay.

Will have a go and if it holds all well and good, if not I know it's only £40 👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ruiz123 said:

It will be done tomorrow night with pics!

2nd hand loom £40 eBay.

Will have a go and if it holds all well and good, if not I know it's only £40 👍👍👍👍

Not pretty but must of worked as ran awful at idle before, now it's perfect with no lumpy sound.

Seems a good connection, silicone now to seal ?

15163967967881959925903.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruiz123 said:

Would this be ok Peter

Perfect, use it myself.

(The acetoxy curing type releases acetic acid which can corrode copper and other electronic bits. Hence the need for neutral cure.)

• Thanks 1

I might shrink wrap the upper exposed parts (should of put a sleeve of it on before!). Will cut and see if I will shrink still.

16 minutes ago, Ruiz123 said:

I might shrink wrap the upper exposed parts

I would not bother. Sleeves, in my opinion, are often more cosmetic than functional. They hide untidy jobs, but do not prevent contamination unless the sealed type, and do little to prevent bending and stressing of the joint.

Carefully tying the joined wires to adjacent wires will keep bending and vibration down. With that many wires, there will not be much movement. The silicone will keep moisture and dirt away from the solder, and reduce the likelihood of accidental short circuits. 

The joints will be a weak point, that is for sure, the solder is more brittle than copper wires. But if they are not bent or disturbed or corroded, they can last for many years.

• Thanks 1

All done! Loom supported to avoid any stress on wires too.

Now it's running and driving I have detected a hesitation in acceleration in 2nd gear. Did throw a P0352 (Coil) which obviously could be ECM, but any fat could be ECM lol!

As I bought the car to work on (hobby lol) then I don't know if this fault existed pre purchase.

Onwards and upwards, just glad it starts first time 😁😁😁😁

I have Forscan. Would that show me where the issue could be?

1 hour ago, Ruiz123 said:

Did throw a P0352 (Coil) which obviously could be ECM, but any fat could be ECM lol!

If the MIL (warning lamp) light did not come on when the P0352 was found, then it is probably a historical code. It could be from quite a long time ago. If the MIL did  light, and then you read the code, it would be a current code. Either way, record it (Forscan can save log files) and clear it, to see if it comes back.

Forscan can provide clues, but will not tell you exactly where this fault is. It could be plug, HT lead, coilpack, connections to the ECU / ECM / PCM (many names for one thing!), or the ECU itself.

The connections should be M1 & M3 on the ECU, M1 is for Cyl 2-3, which is what this code usually relates to. But most people start at the plug & work back.

But before doing anything too drastic, monitor it for a few drives to see if it repeats, or if any other codes come up.

Forscan can log real-time data while driving, but in this case I am not sure that will help much. It might identify the conditions (rpm, throttle) when it happens, but that still does not give a direct location of the fault..

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

If the MIL (warning lamp) light did not come on when the P0352 was found, then it is probably a historical code. It could be from quite a long time ago. If the MIL did  light, and then you read the code, it would be a current code. Either way, record it (Forscan can save log files) and clear it, to see if it comes back.

Forscan can provide clues, but will not tell you exactly where this fault is. It could be plug, HT lead, coilpack, connections to the ECU / ECM / PCM (many names for one thing!), or the ECU itself.

The connections should be M1 & M3 on the ECU, M1 is for Cyl 2-3, which is what this code usually relates to. But most people start at the plug & work back.

But before doing anything too drastic, monitor it for a few drives to see if it repeats, or if any other codes come up.

Forscan can log real-time data while driving, but in this case I am not sure that will help much. It might identify the conditions (rpm, throttle) when it happens, but that still does not give a direct location of the fault..

Thanks Peter.

Are those pins for a focus though? Seemed to remember the Fiesta mk6 diagrams were hard to come by!!!

2 hours ago, Ruiz123 said:

Are those pins for a focus though? Seemed to remember the Fiesta mk6 diagrams were hard to come by

It is from the Focus diagram, but the ECU connections seemed to be the same. I think it is the same engine, so probably the same ECU. If the connector faceviews I posted, and the ground and supply pins all matched up, then I am fairly certain the ignition connections will, as this is the most basic function of the ECU.

• Thanks 1

Hmmmm, cleared code 24hrs ago, symptom still there but do you think I can get the code to show again!

Ran Forscan, had no DTC other than P1000-70 on PCM which seems common/not an issue.

Drove on motorway, hesitation in every gear but accelerating HARD removes the hesitation. Removed BY leads one by one and all dropped engine behaviour.

Checked plug on ignition pack, 3 wires, 12v-15v whilst running (back probed) so all seems good there?

Will do compression test next but really want a code!!!!!

2 hours ago, Ruiz123 said:

Drove on motorway, hesitation in every gear but accelerating HARD removes the hesitation.

Without a code, this could be a lot of things. Maybe that coil code was old.

Full power tests the ignition the most, as the higher pressure in the cylinder needs more voltage to create a spark. So this hesitation might be mixture related, perhaps the switches between closed loop & open loop control. In closed loop, the O2 (lambda) sensors are use to optimally adjust the mixture, in open loop airflow measurements (MAF or MAP) are used to estimate the fuel injections to get about the right mixture.

Forscan can monitor this: fuel trims, control mode, O2 readings. But it is quite complex. Google "fuel trims". Modern petrol engines are not simple, like the older ones. The cat, MAF or MAP, or O2 sensors can be a bit out, enough to upset the mixture control, but not bad enough to trigger a DTC. It would stack up with the P1000 DTC.

It might even go away over time. Your ECU has lost all its adaptations while disconnected, and is having to relearn the engine characteristics.

As this problem is unrelated to Flash code 16, it might be good to start a new topic. It is not something I have ever played about with, there may be others who know a lot more.

19 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Without a code, this could be a lot of things. Maybe that coil code was old.

Full power tests the ignition the most, as the higher pressure in the cylinder needs more voltage to create a spark. So this hesitation might be mixture related, perhaps the switches between closed loop & open loop control. In closed loop, the O2 (lambda) sensors are use to optimally adjust the micture, in open loop airflow measurements (MAF or MAP) are used to estimate the fuel injections to get about the right mixture.

Forscan can monitor this: fuel trims, control mode, O2 readings. But it is quite complex. Google "fuel trims". Modern petrol engines are not simple, like the older ones. The cat, MAF or MAP, or O2 sensors can be a bit out, enough to upset the mixture control, but not bad enough to trigger a DTC. It would stack up with the P1000 DTC.

It might even go away over time. Your ECU has lost all its adaptations while disconnected, and is having to relearn the engine characteristics.

As this problem is unrelated to Flash code 16, it might be good to start a new topic. It is not something I have ever played about with, there may be others who know a lot more.

Thanks Peter. Yes, a new thread will be born 😁