Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine shut off issue

ShaneAnze

Hey,

I discovered an issue on my tc-vti 08 focus were i turn the key off but if my foot is on the brake pedal the engine stays running until i take it off. I also notice that the cruise control would not activate when I was driving along. I had a look around and discovered that if I switch the key off with the foot on the brake pedal, if I change the lights to the off position that it turns the engine off as well. After this bamusilment I left it. As I walked away and locked it with the remote I heard the car beep as if there is somone who is sitting on the seat without the seatbelt on.

I am really confused about this issue and its kind of an emergency as i need the car for work. Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on with it?

Shane

Hi Shane,

I knew that I'd read something similar just recently that was posted (thread was bumped, but valuable nonetheless!).  Have a read, hope it helps....  

Thanks for that Albert, better info then what I was getting from google. Would it be safe to drive until I get it to a ford dealer?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShaneAnze said:

Thanks for that Albert, better info then what I was getting from google. Would it be safe to drive until I get it to a ford dealer?

Personally, I wouldn't as it's not worth the risk. @iantt  thoughts?

4 hours ago, ShaneAnze said:

i turn the key off but if my foot is on the brake pedal the engine stays running until i take it off. I also notice that the cruise control would not activate when I was driving along. I had a look around and discovered that if I switch the key off with the foot on the brake pedal, if I change the lights to the off position that it turns the engine off as well.

I would look at the earth connections on the rear light clusters. The Tail bulbs and brake bulbs share a common earth. If that earth is broken, then the lighting supply can power the brake light circuit via the bulbs. When the brake pedal is pressed, the brake circuit is connected to the ignition switch circuit. This is where the brake lights normally get power from. Just maybe enough voltage could get back to the ignition to keep it powered up even with the key off.

If that is all the problem is, then it is fairly safe to drive, but your rear lights might be a bit strange.

• Like 1

Thanks Peter for your input as well. I took it to the dealer today and lone behold you were very very close Peter. What it turned out to be was a bulb in the back was creating the short that you mentioned. I will say I was baffeled by how the bulb shorted it out but when I got a chance to look at the bulb it looked as if one side filiment blew off and got wedge on the other side so that the brake light was touching the rear light. Never would of thought that a bulb could do something like that haha. Well lesson learned and hopefully if this happens to another person this will help.

Thanks again to both Albert and Peter for your imput, its much appriciated

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club