Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To diesel, or not to diesel.....that is the question!

pistolpete1

On 14/01/2018 at 2:55 PM, iantt said:

stick with petrol. i sure there will be dirty diesel lovers who will say different. lol

Although personally I like my "tractor" 1.8 TDCi and for my commute it makes perfect sense (no DPF, cast iron head so it's bulletproof and a typical commute of 10 mins on a/B roads 30/40 MPH limit, 50 mins M1 as a "good" 70 MPH :biggrin: and 5 mins city driving).

As per some of the comments above, the tide seems to have turned very much against diesel at the moment and by the time a diesel engine is properly up to temp (which helps deliver the efficiency) the Op will probably be closer to work than home so I suspect he might not see stellar MPG.  The torque is nice to have as you can just waft along on light throttle and you've always got the grunt in reserve if you need to overtake.

Personally I think for the Op's situation the 125 BHP Ecoboost would make more sense, as it gets up to temp VERY quickly, if driven right can deliver reasonable efficiency with a nice shot of performance when needed, although it goes without saying that he needs to make sure the dodgy old type degas hose replaced and the coolant tank doesn't have any micro cracks.

Just out of interest did Ford change the dodgy hose in the Ecoboost engines built from 2014 and onwards or was it 2015? 

I would recommend petrol also. Modern turbo Petrol cars handle and drive better than diesel cars in my opinion and are very close to diesel real life mpg on short commutes as already mentioned!

28 minutes ago, James said:

Just out of interest did Ford change the dodgy hose in the Ecoboost engines built from 2014 and onwards or was it 2015? 

I would recommend petrol also. Modern turbo Petrol cars handle and drive better than diesel cars in my opinion and are very close to diesel real life mpg on short commutes as already mentioned!

Did Ford do something to sort this then? Anyone know how to tell if a Focus has the uprated degas hose and coolant tank fitted? Do they look different? Any pictures to show the difference?

earlier hoses were plastic, later modified ones were rubber. 

the hose from the expansion bottle shown is rubber 

image2.JPG.d60f1fd9aa521627b4cbb02326d1ec12.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG.94bab5451a7f88a92ca9167bf7a0e71b.JPG.ce38fb40b79ddaf4cd874a15769da44f.JPG

hose was apparently changed from late 2013

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

hose was apparently changed from late 2013

Good to know, thanks for the info. Saving up for a 15 Focus with this engine at the moment. 

1 hour ago, James said:

and are very close to diesel real life mpg on short commutes as already mentioned!

On my commute which sounds similar to the OP's the 1.0 T Eco boot was getting around 42mpg and the 1.5 TDCI is around 56mpg.

My personal experience is the 1.0T is pretty thirsty especially if loaded and on motorway drives.  Think Honest John and others publish a real world MPG guides.

9 minutes ago, avi said:

On my commute which sounds similar to the OP's the 1.0 T Eco boot was getting around 42mpg and the 1.5 TDCI is around 56mpg.

My personal experience is the 1.0T is pretty thirsty especially if loaded and on motorway drives.  Think Honest John and others publish a real world MPG guides.

That's a bit disappointing to hear to be honest 😒! Was hoping the Ecoboost would do better on the Motorway than that. Do 70 mile journeys on the Motorway twice a week myself.

15 minutes ago, avi said:

Thirsty due to being underpowered? If I end up with a turbo petrol, I'd be keen on the 1.6 version.

8 hours ago, pistolpete1 said:

Thirsty due to being underpowered? If I end up with a turbo petrol, I'd be keen on the 1.6 version.

I'm not heavy footed but needed to keep the rev ups.  Fuel economy on the 1.0T is that great.

We had a 1.6 petrol (non turbo) before the diesel and the running cost was the primary reason for the move to diesel.

42 doesn't sound all that great, my partner gets 39 in her 1.2 NA hairdryer, I thought those 1l eco boosts would be hitting 47-50 mark?

Is the cost of second hand diesels dropping now that all they get is negative press?  If so then that might be a good chance to pick up a bargain if the driving conditions are right and no need for access to city centres.  You would need to keep an eye on the continual changes and meddling that governments do to the rules. 

9 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

42 doesn't sound all that great, my partner gets 39 in her 1.2 NA hairdryer, I thought those 1l eco boosts would be hitting 47-50 mark?

I never got anywhere near an average of  47-50mpg on the 1.0T Eco Boost petrol.  I don't think it was just me or the car as I've read similar in reviews for what its worth, although the engine felt a bit funny, kind of unbalanced, but i was told this is due to using three cylinders.  

https://www.whatcar.com/ford/focus/hatchback/review/buying-owning/

"The achievable economy is good on the diesel models; the 1.5 TDCi 120 managed 58.5mpg in our real-world True MPG economy tests. Petrols aren’t so strong, though, and the 1.0-litre Ecoboost 100 managed only 38.9mpg when we tested it."

mine consistantly gets a minimum of 55mpg and normally 60mpg and sometimes up to 68mpg in the summer. winter affects the economy quite a bit on the 1.0 . but all these are on quiet b roads to work and back, 13 miles each way
but motorway driving it does drop to the high 40's .
i have been logging my consumption on fuelly app, just checked while writing this and last 10 fillups has averaged 58.2mpg

9 minutes ago, iantt said:

mine consistantly gets a minimum of 55mpg and normally 60mpg and sometimes up to 68mpg in the summer. winter affects the economy quite a bit on the 1.0 . but all these are on quiet b roads to work and back, 13 miles each way
but motorway driving it does drop to the high 40's .
i have been logging my consumption on fuelly app, just checked while writing this and last 10 fillups has averaged 58.2mpg

I never got close to that and from memory I think Ford claimed a combined MPG of 56.5 so you're doing really well to get 55-68MPG on the 1.0T 125.  

I guess the only way for anyone to know for sure is try a car over a period and see what they get. :)

7 minutes ago, avi said:

I never got close to that and from memory I think Ford claimed a combined MPG of 56.5 so you're doing really well to get 55-68MPG on the 1.0T 125.  

I guess the only way for anyone to know for sure is try a car over a period and see what they get. :)

If I remember correctly @iantt 1.0 EB Focus is the 100 BHP 5 speed that has been remapped, not the 125 BHP stock 6 speed.

I'd be curious to see how the 100 BHP version and the 125 BHP version differ is terms of MPG when driven similarly on the same journey (not sure if there are any other physical differences between the 2 other than the gearbox).

1 minute ago, 1979Damian said:

If I remember correctly @iantt 1.0 EB Focus is the 100 BHP 5 speed that has been remapped, not the 125 BHP stock 6 speed.

I'd be curious to see how the 100 BHP version and the 125 BHP version differ is terms of MPG when driven similarly on the same journey (not sure if there are any other physical differences between the 2 other than the gearbox).

Oh didn't realise - is this the one ? https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/focus-2011/10-ecoboost-100

But my partner has recently got fiesta 1.0 125 and she only gets 48mpg on her commute.faster roads and 2 towns to get through.

1 minute ago, iantt said:

But my partner has recently got fiesta 1.0 125 and she only gets 48mpg on her commute.faster roads and 2 towns to get through.

I suspect in standard tune the 1.0 EB engine suits the lighter Fiesta perfectly where as it's MPG and performance are blunted slightly in the heavier Focus.  I still enjoyed driving the hire cars (I often got a MK3.5 Focus) with the 125 BHP 1.0 EB engine but the 1 time I drove a Fiesta with the same engine it "felt" noticeably more lively than in the Focus, to be honest it felt like a perfect match in the Fezza.

38 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

I suspect in standard tune the 1.0 EB engine suits the lighter Fiesta perfectly where as it's MPG and performance are blunted slightly in the heavier Focus.  I still enjoyed driving the hire cars (I often got a MK3.5 Focus) with the 125 BHP 1.0 EB engine but the 1 time I drove a Fiesta with the same engine it "felt" noticeably more lively than in the Focus, to be honest it felt like a perfect match in the Fezza.

And the 125bhp version of the 1 litre petrol engine is fitted to the big, heavy Mondeo too!!! 😂😂😂

O-60 in 3 hours??

Wow, I bet that feels similar in terms of "making progress" to the 99 BHP 1.6 petrol in the MK2 :wallbash:

• Haha 1

I'll be honest mpg isn't too important to me (although I see fuel is creeping up in price again!!), as long as I'm not getting under 30mpg. As I'm self employed, car usage is tax deductible, but what I like is a car that will cruise when I want it to, but also have a bit more in reserve for overtaking/more spirited driving 😉.

Reliability is very important too, as we are a one car family and use it daily. This is why my original post asked about any potential reliability issues if moving to a diesel engine with the kind of travelling I do.

We all know diesel engines have great torque and therefore offer good levels of acceleration when required, but it seems turbo petrols are catching up.

With all the information given from everyone on here (and I thank you all for this), I'm going to hold on to my 1.8 Titanium for another year, then look again. At 59k it's unlikely the clutch with fail over the next 12 months, especially with the mileage I do. And it'll be just in time to miss the cambelt replacement at 10 years old 😉.

👍👍👍

12 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Wow, I bet that feels similar in terms of "making progress" to the 99 BHP 1.6 petrol in the MK2 :wallbash:

Official figures suggest 0-60 in only 12 seconds in the Mondeo! Love to see the true mpg figures....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club