Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 2006 1.4 Zetec power steering issue

HenryV

Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone may have experienced a similar issue and could maybe offer some advice;

My power steering seems to be underperforming.

The steering seems to have gotten heavier.

The car's now done 97 000  miles and the fluid had never been changed or topped up.

I know I should really flush/change the fluid but I'm not convinced that it would make a whole lot of difference?

About 10 weeks ago, on a few occasions there was a clicking noise after starting the engine that sounded like it was coming from the PAS pump area.  On each occasion  the clicking stopped after a minute of driving.  I haven't heard the noise since.

I noticed yesterday that the fluid level was just below MIN. I'm not really surprised after 97 000 miles?  There didn't appear to be any obvious leaks

I topped it up today but has made no difference

I suspect that the clicking sound wasn't coincidental and that maybe my pump has failed/is failing.  It isn't making any unhealthy sounding noise, seems to be spinning fine and doesn't appear to be leaking.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Regards.

H..

Answered your own question mate, new power steering pump is needed, they are about 70 quid or a used one for 25, you can fit them yourself (3 bolts and a hose connection) which will save you 50 quid labour, its quite esy to reach aswel

Thanks Martin,

I had a lingering doubt about it being the pump or the rack.

Update;

I started the car today and it sounded fine.  I then tried to go forward (without turning the steering wheel) and there was a loud crunching noise and it felt like the brakes were stuck on.  I tried reverse with same result.  I then (unwisely) tried to force it a bit and the belt squealed.

I then turned the steering with the car stationary and it made a groaning noise.

My assumption is that it must be the pump because the noise happens without turning the steering wheel. If the rack was at fault it would surely only make the noise whilst steering.

Does anybody have any further thoughts/reservations before I order a pump and some fluid?

Thanks

H..

don't know what to make of what you describe. there is a chance I suppose that something inside the pump is jamming the pulley and hence the squeal. I suppose you could take the belt off and try turning the pump by hand (engine not running) and see if it is rough/stuck

Thanks isetta,

That would be a logical approach but the pump spins freely with no noise whilst the car is idling and I can rev the engine with no noise from the pulley(s).

The noise only happens when I try to drive forward/backward or when I turn the steering wheel.

I still reckon it's the pump but I can't understand why the noise begins when I set off without trying to turn the steering wheel.

I must admit, I'm somewhat baffled :unsure:

I may get chance to post a couple of video clips of the symptoms soon.

H..

I'm minded to buy the following parts fairly soon:

1) Power steering pump (Ford part No. 1357617 or equivalent)

2) PAS fluid WSA-M2C195-A (Ford)

3) Ford seal (part No. 3518119).  Thanks iantt for your post in this thread;

Any advice/thoughts are much appreciated,

H..

First question is, if the fluid level has dropped where has it gone? 

With the pump making noises I’d have to suspect it’s probably at fault. I guess my next step given you have indicated noises from the belt would be to remove the drive belts and make sure everything spins freely. 

• Like 1

i can see how turning the steering wheel puts a load on the pump but I can't see how trying to drive backwards or forwards is connected to the power steering

Thanks stef & isetta,

I've now found the problem and I must confess to feeling like a 'right plonker'!

I've got a broken offside coil spring  :blush:

I lifted the bonnet this aft to get a couple of video clips when I noticed that the car looked too low at the offside front.

I then took a blind video behind the wheel;

I put this spring on 4.5 years and 50,000 miles ago by the way.

I'm hoping to replace it this weekend.

With hindsight, I think I was pre-disposed to jump to the conclusion that it was the PAS pump.

Thanks again folks,

H..

• Haha 1

You’ve still to explain where the missing power steering fluid has gone lol 

• Like 1

You're right stef,

I'll keep an eye on the fluid level when I've sorted the spring.

I borrowed my mate's MK6 Fiesta today because I didn't fancy riding the bike in the snow :sad: The steering felt much lighter than mine ever has, so the power steering issue may be resurrected in the future.

Best regards,

H..

• Like 1

I’m glad to hear you ain’t driving yours with a spring like that! Lol

• Like 1

broken springs on mk6 fiesta normaly results in the spring coming out and digging in the tyre. lucky so far.

• 1 year later...

Hello.

because the steering wheel pump broke down

the i changed it to with an imitation (oem)

the pump sounds a lot now Continuity, but the car is running without any problems

what do you think it is?

• 1 year later...

I'm new to this page. Just bought a 1.4 tdci van 60k on it. It's a bit rough but hoping to sort it out over the coming weeks. Today I noticed a leak from the steering Reservoir pipe to pump but it's only when I stop driving it comes its now emptied the reservoir from that leak does anyone have any information on what's caused this as I cant see any damage from the said pipe? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club