Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam belt

SilverRocket

Hi Folks,

Looking to replace the cam belt on the Focus.  Its a late 2009 1.6 zetec petrol.  I've taken a look on Eurocar parts at the cam belt kits and they appear to list 4, however the photos of each differ in what they show, indicating that there are differences (i.e number of replacement bolts and different tensioners!) and what's more they only appear to be listed up to model year 2005.  Which is bizarre having put the registration of the car into the search box.

Looking to replace the water pump (as recommended) at the same time.  There's one option here ( Circoli )so that's clear.

Would appreciate your advice please.

Thanks for reading :)

• Like 1

try a local motor factors they will get the right one i uses gates  when i do my sons

• Like 1

on some cars it is recomended to replace the water pump as it's driven by the cam belt and if the water pump needs changing at a later date there is almost as much re-work needs doing as changing the belt.

but on the 1.6 petrol isn't the water pump easily visible and driven by the alternator drive belt.  hence if the water pump goes at a later date it's not all the cambelt work being redone.

or have i misunderstood what the engine is like in a 2009 1.6 petrol (which might be the case as I am asssumng maybe wrongly it's the same setup as mk1 focus.

addition- also if changing a good working original water pump with a cheap new one, the cheap new one may fail before the original one would have done, so bear in mind when thinking about what quality of pump to buy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, isetta said:

on some cars it is recomended to replace the water pump as it's driven by the cam belt and if the water pump needs changing at a later date there is almost as much re-work needs doing as changing the belt.

but on the 1.6 petrol isn't the water pump easily visible and driven by the alternator drive belt.  hence if the water pump goes at a later date it's not all the cambelt work being redone.

or have i misunderstood what the engine is like in a 2009 1.6 petrol (which might be the case as I am asssumng maybe wrongly it's the same setup as mk1 focus.

addition- also if changing a good working original water pump with a cheap new one, the cheap new one may fail before the original one would have done, so bear in mind when thinking about what quality of pump to buy

I used the KTB764 kit as told by ECP was the right kit. On further research, the belt is compatible (in length, no of teeth, etc), but not technically for this engine - use at your own risk. It appears there are two belts that differ only in tooth coating made by Dayco, but other manufacturers (Contitech) list the two belts under one part nuimber (i.e. apparently interchangable).

That kit comes with everything except the cam sprocket bolts, and the longer M14 crank bolt. You will also need all the locking tools and the pulley holding tool, and appropriate torque wrenches / breaker bar. I did mine (as someone who just dabbles with mechanicals), it is up there with the difficult jobs, and potential for catastrophic damage if got wrong. 

The water pump is still driven by the aux belt on the 1.6 Sigma. You will need new aux belts (due for repacement anyway if the cam belt is) if you cut your old ones off - I recommend looking on eBay for the genuine Ford kits that come with the installation tools. I paid £27 for mine for both belts (Crank -> Water pump, Alternator, Power Steering) and (Crank -> AC) + install tools.

by the time the cambelts due for replacement the waterpump has had 8 years hard life and will be past its best ( worn shaft bearing , cracked impeller fins ) so you might as well swop it out at the same time rather than wait for it to fail completely and wreck whatever belt its driven from.

agree with isetta on the risks of using a cheaper pattern part though , get the genuine ford waterpump if i were you

• Like 1

Do the pump, unless you get sexually aroused fannying about with serpentine belts.  For the feeble price of a pump its not worth risking getting stranded miles from Hicksville at midnight.

• Haha 1

I’ve done a number of these now where the ‘customer’ didn’t want to spend the extra on replacing the pump. Never been an issue yet anyway.

on the other hand if I’m quoting for a pump i will only supply a genuine ford one with gasket and bolts. If really pushed I’ll use a gates belt/pump kit but I have not used one on a ford so far. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stef123 said:

I’ve done a number of these now where the ‘customer’ didn’t want to spend the extra on replacing the pump. Never been an issue yet anyway.

Local Ford garage told me they don't routinely replace them, and they also said they very rarely have any water pump failures on the 1.6 Sigma engine. I didn't replace mine.

• Like 3

I have the same engine and have the kit here. Awaiting better weather to fit it lol! I opt for the genuine ford belt kit and the water pump just to be on the safe side plan to replace the lot at the one time as others have said you don't want to pump to give issues after ripping all down to replace the belt ect.

Just do all at the one time and thats it 

Goodluck

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies.

As in Sonic113's case, plan to do this in the spring.

Sonice113, you mention you have the kit.  Have you purchased the tooling kit as well; i.e locking bolts, cam plate and cam sprocket wrench?

If so where did you purchase these from?

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 9:41 PM, SilverRocket said:

Sonice113, you mention you have the kit.  Have you purchased the tooling kit as well; i.e locking bolts, cam plate and cam sprocket wrench?

Bought all the tools from amazon of all places - Laser timing tool set 4347 (Pins and bar - you only need one timing pin), Sprocket wrench 2869 (I used some layers of duct tape on the outside of mine in lieu of the rubber sleeves mentioned in the Ford procedure), and Laser 4275 flywheel locking tool (recommended by Stef, and also used in the latest Ford procedure for this engine, the M14 bolt takes a lot of heft to get it tight!)

• Like 2

On 19/01/2018 at 9:41 PM, SilverRocket said:

Cheers for the replies.

As in Sonic113's case, plan to do this in the spring.

On 23/01/2018 at 3:37 PM, Micro said:

Bought all the tools from Amazon of all places - Laser timing tool set 4347 (Pins and bar - you only need one timing pin), Sprocket wrench 2869 (I used some layers of duct tape on the outside of mine in lieu of the rubber sleeves mentioned in the Ford procedure), and Laser 4275 flywheel locking tool (recommended by Stef, and also used in the latest Ford procedure for this engine, the M14 bolt takes a lot of heft to get it tight!)

Sorry For late reply.

Yes I got the tool kit as well, I just picked them all up in parts at different times of amazon ect just like Micro has listed in his post.  I did have some images sent to me by another member on here (I think it was stef )a good while back but have misplace them but they where identical to the ones in this link as far as I remember, Also I plan to renew the cam bolts as well and with the original ford kit you don't get the crank bolt but there are three sizes as far as I know so I plan to just get the three and then pick the correct one when I take mine out. Here are the links for those.

Cam Bolts + washer
https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_bolt_and_washer_f_1444182.htm

Crank Bolt 1

https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_mk1__zetec_crankshaft_pulley_bolt_1998-2005_f_1057134_c_372.htm

Crank Bolt 2

https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_zetec_crankshaft_pulley_bolt_445mm_1998-2005_f_1406755_c_372.htm

Crank Bolt 3

https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_bolt_f_1677517.htm

http://replace-timing-belt.com/how-to-replace-timing-belt-on-ford-focus-1-6i-2007-2011_/

Hope this helps, I plan to take a few pics and maybe make a guide when I do mine to help others here but as I mentioned I wont get at mine until spring hits as weather here is not great at moment .

On 17/01/2018 at 2:17 AM, Micro said:

Local Ford garage told me they don't routinely replace them, and they also said they very rarely have any water pump failures on the 1.6 Sigma engine. I didn't replace mine.

I’ve got yet another of these timing belt jobs to do soon, no water pump again. 

Maybe I’ll need to do a YouTube video with some American accent. 

• Like 1

The detail is in TSB 79/2009. They changed the bolt twice over the years on the sigma engine. 

Engines built up to 14/8/2005 have an M12x29mm

Engines built from 15/8/2005 to 16/8/2009 have an M12x44.5mm

Engines built from 17/8/2009 have the M14x80mm (with washer)

The proper way in the TSB says to measure the depth of the hole but common sense would say to just replace the bolt like for like. The tightening procedure and torque spec varies for the different bolts too - 

M12 - 40Nm then 90 degrees.

M14 - 100Nm then 90 degrees. Wait 10 seconds then 15 degrees further.

stefs torque wrench he uses goes "dugga dugga dugga" lol

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, iantt said:

stefs torque wrench he uses goes "dugga dugga dugga" lol

100Nm = 10 Ugga Duggas?

What scale are we talking here :tongue:

• Like 2

oh no, he got got a big ugga dugga torque wrench, so i imagine 4 is 100nm and each one after is 90°

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hahahaha :lol: 

sometimes my torque wrench goes dugga dugga dugga dugga dugga dugga dugga dugga dugga dugga dugga dugga dugga dugga dugga 

It doesn't do ft lbs, it does FT!

The 'torque wrench' is in the car just now (i'm heading out to do some work on my own car today so I can't give you any actual photos of it but here is what it used to look like when it was new lol.

IMG_7922.JPG

• Like 1

nice. we use those at work , well we would if we had work. lol

• Haha 1

your too busy eating biscuits I bet lol.

Will i do some videos today for the forum, Removing/installing oil filter housing cap with an impact wrench and such? :lol: 

biscuits?? cake, and lots of it. homemade by me. my nickname at work is mr berry. lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stef123 said:

your too busy eating biscuits I bet lol.

Will i do some videos today for the forum, Removing/installing oil filter housing cap with an impact wrench and such? :lol: 

Stef

Have you any video tutorials on changing the cam belt? They be useful as a helping hand when doing the job.

cheers

9 hours ago, iantt said:

biscuits?? cake, and lots of it. homemade by me. my nickname at work is mr berry. lol

ah right enough, only us peasants eat biscuits lol. 

Bloomin eck Ian, you'd make someone a good wife :lol: 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club