Do Not Sell My Personal Information

02 Focus 1.8 tdi EDU repair

auldreekie

Anyone had a repair done on the EDU on a Bosch VP30 fuel pump for 02 focus 1.8 TDI?

Car is a non-start ,OBD codes are pointing to the fuel pump and some googling on the net suggest it might be the transistor on the FIP edu circuit.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and successfully had a repair done, also possible recommendation where to send the EDU. 

Not a problem for me to remove the edu, electronic repair though is not my forte. Repairing the edu would be megabucks cheaper than a new pump which would be more than the car is worth and might save it from the scrappy.

never had one done, but plenty of sellers on eBay offering the service and also them selling the transistors for you to do it yourself. hard to tell how easy or hard it is to do the soldering. if you bought the transistor and took the pump to a TV repair shop you might be able to get them to do it for you (I know there are not many traditional tv repair shops around these days)

• Like 1

I was going to put a link to another topic on the subject, then saw it was the same OP blush.png.

So it would not be much help!

EDU sent off for repair ...I hope. Hopefully be back by the end of the week and weather permitting get it back on the car. Will post back if successful or not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, looks like the pump has had its day, managed to run it for 2 or three seconds using easy start in the air intake hose but it sounded really harsh then it died on me. Car now going to the big scrappy in the sky, it is not worth the repair costs of a reconditioned pump.

• Sad 2

Have you tried starting it a few times? When I tried starting my car when I had the injectors changed it would manage to start but die. It managed to start and stay on from then. Its a different scenario to what's happened to me but thought could suggest to keep trying to start it unless you can tell that it's the pump on its way out. 

3 hours ago, auldreekie said:

looks like the pump has had its day

Also it is worth checking that fuel is getting to the pump. If any pipes on the input side have been disconnected, air will have got in. Most Fords that I know of have no tank pump, so they need priming with a hand pump or priming bulb, or maybe a tow start might do it.

• Like 1

Definitely fuel reaching and coming out of  the injectors, they've all been cracked (one at a time) to check while turning the engine, whether it is at the right pressure I don't know. Sprayed Easy start in the Air intake hose and engine will run for about 1 or 2 seconds as long as easy start spray button is depressed. It is now showing error P0216 Injection timing control circuit.

Daughter has decided not to throw any more money at it, car is 16 yrs old and condition of underside is 50/50 whether it will pass its MOT now due and new mot rules coming in May to make things more difficult for diesel owners it been decided it's time to get another motor.

Thanks everyone who replied.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club