Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 petrol versus 1.5 petrol

chill59

Hi

I'm looking for a '17 plate focus automatic (ideally 1.5L). On Autotrader at the moment there are 119 x 1.0L cars and only 19 x 1.5L cars.

Is there any particular reason why the one litre cars far outweigh the 1.5 litre cars?

I know the 1.0L ecoboost is a great engine but would have thought that the ratio to 1.5's would be more even?

Is it just because of the economy/tax benefits or is the 1.5 not such a good engine?

Also, nearly all the 'Titanium X' trim cars on Autotrader at the moment seem to be estates. Is there a reason for this or is it just coincidence?

TIA

Just had a look on eBay and out of twenty 2017 cars there is only one 1.5 (and that's an estate)

1.5 costs more to start with, higher running costs (it's not very economical).

The 1.5 is not as characterful or rev happy as the 1.0 either.

I've driven both as a manual and prefer how the 1.0 drives, even though it's down on power.

Also, the 1.5 is restricted to higher trim levels which increases it's cost compared to the 1.0.

• Like 3

Cheers Alex

Am I correct in thinking that the 1.0 is powershift auto and the 1.5 a conventional auto?

wasn't the 1.5 originally destined for the Chinese Market, something to do with emissions or engine size or something?

1 minute ago, Dee_82 said:

wasn't the 1.5 originally destined for the Chinese Market, something to do with emissions or engine size or something?

Yeah it's based on a reduction in capacity of the 1.6 ecoboost to get it under 1.5L for chinese tax regulations. (although they did make a few other changes, like the WC IC).

It's a stop gap engine really, until the new 1.5 3 pot is ready.

• Like 1

The 1.0 is simply a nicer unit.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jethro_Tull said:

The 1.0 is simply a nicer unit.

I've driven a Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost which was great but is it not a tad underpowered for the Focus?

• Like 1

Yes it is under powered for the focus had a 1 ltr and put it in for a 1.5 the difference is like night and day imho

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, chill59 said:

I've driven a Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost which was great but is it not a tad underpowered for the Focus?

I have driven an 2016 fiesta with the 1.0 100 hp engine. It felt like an engine without a turbo. When I ordered my focus they only had the 1.0 engine and it is ok if you just go from a to b. The same feeling as my old 2008 fieste with 80 hp. So I went for the 1.5 180 hp. I like that engine and the fuel economy is nearly the same as my old fiesta had. The focus is a litte worse in the winter but it is mostly because of the parkingheater. My average in my focus is 7.2 l/100 km and the fiesta was 6.9. So I like the 1.5 better but thats how we are.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chill59 said:

The 125 is up the the job, though it needs working if you're pressing on.

The 1.5 has more power, but its not as eager feeling, the delivery isn't as pleasing, and the 95% of the time you're not using the extra horses its supping more fuel.  The 125 just feels nicer.  

If outright thrust bothers you that much then neither motor is the one to choose.

• Like 1

at least both varients use a proper auto box and not powershift rubbish.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club