Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7.5 USB

dansallis

This is one of those "is there a way?" threads, sorry!

Is there a way to connect your phone to the car's USB slot (near the handbrake and aux slot) in order to charge your phone, but without it trying to connect it to the car. 

The reason for my asking is because the charging port on my iPhone 6 can be quite dodgy and so I always connect via bluetooth. So when it is attached via USB it continually disconnects/connects causing music and phone calls to be cut out.

Possibly in your phone settings. Some allow you to set the USB port for just charging. However this only sometimes works. Did on my Motorola which runs stock Android but not on my Samsung. It's annoying on the Samsung as it starts playing my phone calls back to me!

You might be able to get a charging only usb cable.

Or you could modify a spare/cheap cable and cut the data wires.

This assumes the iPhone will charge over USB without a data connection.

Thanks for your advice guys, really helpful. I will try Gary's method this evening, and failing that, Alex's.

It will also apply to android phones (likely a Huawei) because I am due a new phone soon.

@alexp999 Can that be done with a USB - to - micro USB cable?

Android phones often have the option pop up asking if you just want to charge or the type of USB connection to make (mass storage, media device, etc). It does vary by manufacturer though. The Chinese phones often have more options.

You could modify any usb cable, in theory. They just have 4 pins and 4 wires, for charging you only need the 5V and ground. (although as I say unless the phone manufacturer decides not to accept the 5V without a data connection present).

Plug it in. If it defaults to AUX just switch it back to bluetooth. You will then get charging (slowly) and bluetooth connection 

On 19/01/2018 at 9:18 AM, dansallis said:

This is one of those "is there a way?" threads, sorry!

Is there a way to connect your phone to the car's USB slot (near the handbrake and aux slot) in order to charge your phone, but without it trying to connect it to the car. 

The reason for my asking is because the charging port on my iPhone 6 can be quite dodgy and so I always connect via bluetooth. So when it is attached via USB it continually disconnects/connects causing music and phone calls to be cut out.

Is there not a 12V you can use? Surely that would make the most sense as it would prefer USB issues?

Ignore me if you don’t have a 12V socket.

14 hours ago, lwatson99 said:

Is there not a 12V you can use? Surely that would make the most sense as it would prefer USB issues?

Ignore me if you don’t have a 12V socket.

Yeah got a 12v and a 2 USB adapter for it. Was just wondering if there was a quick way to use the USB port itself.

11 hours ago, dansallis said:

Yeah got a 12v and a 2 USB adapter for it. Was just wondering if there was a quick way to use the USB port itself.

It will normally default to USB and playing audio. Personally I’d just recommend sticking to 12V as it will stop all those issues

This:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F7AU62E/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=port0e-21&camp=1634&creative=6738&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01F7AU62E&linkId=88fa13a6788f154a608c825901fc95db

Bought many of the Micro USB cables for use for several work colleagues as our ICT dept. originally blacklisted our Android tablets connecting to work PCs. Also allowed faster charging (pending the USB output) via the cables.

• Thanks 1

Do note that the USB port will likely not provide as high a charging current as a dedicated charger can/will.