Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Edge bike rack

LukeEdge

Any one have experience/ advice how to? what to choose for caring 2 bicycles with Ford Edge.

I do not look for tow bar option as my car do not have one fitted and to do it now would cost £450 plus another £400-500 for bike carrier, so perhaps might work cheaper to get cheap bikes in teh destination and than dispose them after use ;) As well cannot get roof mounted one as I have panorama roof :) yey.. So my only solution is tailgate rack... but than we do have that BIG PLASTIC SQUISHY SPOILER.  As said I do look to carry 2 cycles externally! Any tips, guides, propositions...

i have looked into this problem as im in the same  situation , but sorry up to now i can not find a solution without going down the tow bar route.

i have looked into this problem as im in the same  situation , but sorry up to now i can not find a solution without going down the tow bar route.
I think I might be on to something. Keeping in mind our mighty edge is nothing special/ new on the other side of the pond.. I had a look how they deal with it :)
And came across of it...

https://www.etrailer.com/trunkmount-2017_Ford_Edge.htm

Do any 1 know those brands or mounting style equivalent?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I got a little trailer for £150 with a roof rack bike rack fitting in it- but you’ll need a tow bar. I would avoid the tail gate ones because the metal on the tailgate is very soft as I found out to my cost!

I got a little trailer for £150 with a roof rack bike rack fitting in it- but you’ll need a tow bar. I would avoid the tail gate ones because the metal on the tailgate is very soft as I found out to my cost!
The trailer is out of the question. I wouldn't drive through half of Europe with trailer simply because of 2 bicycles. I am sure I would be able to find there cheap 2nd hand ones / rent it .. much cheaper than whole operation with tow bar.

But after deeper look in to topic, I found there is loads of universal high mount bike racks as well some new amazing suck on to the glass systems.
So yes we do have options and more of them than initially would seems to be.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

has anyone had any experience with the below?

these are the Whispbars available from roofbox.co.uk

it specifically states these are for a Ford Edge 2016 onwards and are “for cars with NO roof rails and DO have a panoramic glass roof”

I’m about to order these but wanted to see if anyone already had tried these and would avoid?

Thanks.

B7A533E0-87E3-4522-A91E-D3D436435C0C.png

I haven’t got these bars but I did buy some Yakima bars for my pan roof Edge. They look a very similar fitment to these and I’ve had no issues.

I've had a few bike racks in my time and would always go for a tow ball mounted one if you can afford to do it and you are going to get loads of use out of it.

I've have an Atera rack with the 4th bike extension pack. I used it on my Land Rover Discovery for a few years, but after some massive repair bills, swapped the Discovery for the Edge. I bought it 'used' so had to have the tow bar fitted.... not cheap at a main dealer by the time they have replaced the rear cross member (for one with the ball mount) and added the electronics pack, tow electrics harness, the removable ball and coded up the car. It did sting a lot paying the bill. You could go cheaper with an after-market non-Ford kit but I wanted to make sure it was all compatible with the car and didn't cause me any warranty issues. 

I never worry about the bikes falling off the rack, the rack falling off the car or damaging the bodywork. A big difference from some of the rear-door mounted racks I used. I can get 4 full size bikes on the back... and the Edge seems to cope well. 

I have the bikes on the car weekly so it's worth the initial outlay.... but I fully agree, it is a big commitment. I'm sure you will be ok with two bikes on the rear boot mounted racks, but if you are going 3 or 4 bikes, I would go for a tow ball mounted set-up if you can justify it.

I’ve recently bought a second hand thule 3 bike tow bar mounted carrier and it’s superb. So much safe than a roof rack and handy for ferries/ car parks as it doesn’t change the height of the vehicle. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club