Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta Front Tyre Wear

Hurricane 868

Hi

Has anyone had any problems with New Fiesta MK7 front tyre wear. I have a 2009 Titanium with 17" rims and 205/40/17 Pirelli tyres as fitted as optional extra. I put the car into my local dealer for it's first service at 12000 mile and they say it needs new front tyres.

Both front tyres have excessive wear on the inside edges to about an inch wide. Rest of tyre is great. The dealer checked the tracking and said nothing is wrong. I contacted Ford who said I will have to pay a fee for dealer to investigate further even though car is still under warranty. Is this a scam?

Any ideas? Will I have to replace front tyres every 12k miles? Let me know if any one else has similar problems. Thanks

I wouldnt pay them extra for anything. I have done about 12k miles and mine (Pirelli 205/40) look like i will get a few thousand more out of them. What make of tyre have you got?

My 2.5T Mondeo goes through a set of fronts every 8-9k miles so it could be worse!

Hi

Has anyone had any problems with New Fiesta MK7 front tyre wear. I have a 2009 Titanium with 17" rims and 205/40/17 Pirelli tyres as fitted as optional extra. I put the car into my local dealer for it's first service at 12000 mile and they say it needs new front tyres.

Both front tyres have excessive wear on the inside edges to about an inch wide. Rest of tyre is great. The dealer checked the tracking and said nothing is wrong. I contacted Ford who said I will have to pay a fee for dealer to investigate further even though car is still under warranty. Is this a scam?

Any ideas? Will I have to replace front tyres every 12k miles? Let me know if any one else has similar problems. Thanks

yeah i have and they were bridgestone tyres :o same problem and it knocked my tracking out too, if i was you i would have your tracking looked at

I have the 17s on my Titanium. I forget what make the tyres are. They have done 21,000 miles and they are sill fine. I reckon I'll get at least another 15,000 out of em before they hit the buffers.

I do a lot of motorway, and i'm slightly paranoid about tyre pressures so maybe thats the reason?

Hello,

I've noticed most Fords seem to suffer the same fate. I've owned a Focus which suffered the same problem, my wifes Mondeo ST does the same and the tracking was checked by an independant garage and confirmed to be OK and a lot of the Focus RS guys are experiencing the same although they are transferring a lot more power through the front wheels than any of us.

Thanks for the alert and it's something I'll have to keep an eye out for on my Fiesta.

Stephen.

I had the same issues with my car, the Bridgestone tyres I had on the front needed replacing when the car was due its first service, I'm guessing it's normal or something? :unsure:

I wouldnt pay them extra for anything. I have done about 12k miles and mine (Pirelli 205/40) look like i will get a few thousand more out of them. What make of tyre have you got?

My 2.5T Mondeo goes through a set of fronts every 8-9k miles so it could be worse!

And my BMW went through £450 of Continentals in less than 6000 miles, so your could be worse. ;)

Kinda hoping that the ESP will cut down on the amount of wheel spin and therefore make mine last a bit longer than they would do otherwise! lol

Think I should take the Fiesta to an independent garage and have 4 wheel alignment checked.

The fronts are especially bad. It's like a 45 degree chamfer on both inside edges. I have read CLCM Wheel Alignment in Edinburgh are very good. Anyone has any experience with them? Is it worth doing or a waste of money as Fords seem prone to this anyway.

Think I should take the Fiesta to an independent garage and have 4 wheel alignment checked.

The fronts are especially bad. It's like a 45 degree chamfer on both inside edges. I have read CLCM Wheel Alignment in Edinburgh are very good. Anyone has any experience with them? Is it worth doing or a waste of money as Fords seem prone to this anyway.

I had CLCM do the alignnent on my last car and was very pleased.

Its not the most impressive looking establishment but he has good equipment and you cant argue with his results.

I have the exact same problem with my Zetec S TDCi, some major strange tyre wear going on, just put 3rd set on front and second on back after 15k miles. Has anyone been give a solution? Tracking is fine?

Just done my first service, although it was a bit early its at 11,800 miles. Its the 1.4 Petrol and the guy reckons i've got another 3-4k miles left.

I dont exactly drive it that gently so getting 15k out of it isn't too bad. I do currently have the hankooks or whatever they're called on which aren't sporty really, so maybe i'm getting better wear because the compound is so hard.

Hi,

I think even sports tyres should get decent mileage than 12k. I had Toyo proxes a few years ago on a mondeo that i totally abused round corners etc and they lasted about 18k before needing replacement.

I'd find out how the tracking place does the 4 wheel alignment as if, like the mondeo, the rear wheels also have adjustment, its no good them setting the fronts up from the rears as if the rears are out then they're effectively setting the fronts wrong if you get what i mean.

There are places round me that charge about £25 for 4 wheel tracking and then one place that charges £50...he is always fully booked too but he has the latest equipment and only does tracking and nothing else so knows what he's doing. Worth shopping around i'd say.

Even a newly opened local Hi Q garage can't do it properly!

Just worth bearing in mind.

Mark :)

Hi,

I think even sports tyres should get decent mileage than 12k. I had Toyo proxes a few years ago on a mondeo that i totally abused round corners etc and they lasted about 18k before needing replacement.

I'd find out how the tracking place does the 4 wheel alignment as if, like the mondeo, the rear wheels also have adjustment, its no good them setting the fronts up from the rears as if the rears are out then they're effectively setting the fronts wrong if you get what i mean.

There are places round me that charge about £25 for 4 wheel tracking and then one place that charges £50...he is always fully booked too but he has the latest equipment and only does tracking and nothing else so knows what he's doing. Worth shopping around i'd say.

Even a newly opened local Hi Q garage can't do it properly!

Just worth bearing in mind.

Mark :)

how often do you check your Tyre pressures!!!!!!!?? (every week)or you should do any how along with oil,water,brake fluid,etc etc...

I have had to change my two front tyres on my Mk7 ZETEC S TDCI today.They were Bridgestone Potenza 205/40/17 and worn after only 9200 miles.Not good.

Seems I am not alone then.

I have the car booked into CLCM for Thursday to have the alignment checked on all 4 wheels. The guy certainly seems to know his stuff. I will report his findings in due course.

Tyre pressures are checked on a regular basis. Not every week but probably every three or four weeks with a quality gauge.

I am a bit fussy with low profile's as they always look soft. I keep them at 33psi as per the book. I would have thought if the tyres were run soft they would wear on both inner and outer edges or if too hard would wear in the centre.

I bought a tread gauge the other day and will get some readings from my tyres tomorrow. Still on the original tyres at 21,000. I have other readings from courtesy check and 1st service to compare side by side to see what the actual wear-rate of the tyres is. Will be interesting to see results.

Are you guys changing tyres at the recommended 3mm or at the legal 1.6mm?

Also are you gettin your tyres from Ford or are you sourcing the same tyres cheaper elsewhere and getting them fitted by ford? I know there are some good sites out there that offer tyres at low prices

I bought a tread gauge the other day and will get some readings from my tyres tomorrow. Still on the original tyres at 21,000. I have other readings from courtesy check and 1st service to compare side by side to see what the actual wear-rate of the tyres is. Will be interesting to see results.

Are you guys changing tyres at the recommended 3mm or at the legal 1.6mm?

Also are you gettin your tyres from Ford or are you sourcing the same tyres cheaper elsewhere and getting them fitted by ford? I know there are some good sites out there that offer tyres at low prices

I would have thought a reasonable mileage to be around the 20k mark but I have to replace the two fronts at 12k because they are very near the canvas on the inside edges. The rear's will probably do 20k.

I have ordered two Yokohama's a premium tyre from Black Circles.com at £72 each fitted. Look forward to your results

my car's on 17k and is still on the originals front 4 back 5/6 they are Continental Sport Contact 2's

Erm esp... Spinning up the tyres is being stopped by esp but it'll also rip the tyres up when the electronics are working hence RS's tyres getting eatin

I would have thought a reasonable mileage to be around the 20k mark but I have to replace the two fronts at 12k because they are very near the canvas on the inside edges. The rear's will probably do 20k.

I have ordered two Yokohama's a premium tyre from Black Circles.com at £72 each fitted. Look forward to your results

Ok here are my depth readings:

Bridgestone Potenza ~~~ 205/40 R17 84V ~~~ Titanium X 17" alloys ~~~ 1.6 Petrol

Tyre pressures always kept to handbook spec for light loading (as opposed to fully loaded)

Courtesy Check: 5959m

Outer Middle Inner

N/S Front 5 5 5

O/S Front 5 5 5

N/S Rear 6 6 6

O/S Rear 6 6 6

First Service: 15641m

Outer Middle Inner

N/S Front 5 4 5

O/S Front 4 4 5

N/S Rear 5 6 6

O/S Rear 6 6 6

Interim Observation: 21000m (ish) (2/2/2010)

Outer Middle Inner

N/S Front 2 3 3

O/S Front 2 3 3

N/S Rear 4 5 4

O/S Rear 5 5 5

So there we go :)

Rears look to last 50,000 - 60,000

Fronts look to last 25,000 at a stretch

My thoughts on this :-

- Why didn't Ford switch the front to rear at the first service? (Then again, if they had I would have to fork out for 4 tyres at a time)

- Why did I leave the first service so late? Will this void the warranty? (it was only 5 months old, but 15461 miles)

- Car will need new fronts at every major service, what a ball ache

- Alignment appears to be spot on

- All different tyre types and brands that Ford use is going to make choosing replacements a bit confusing, so maybe I'll stick to the potenzas

- I need to find the cheapest supplier of this tyre quite soon. Anyone recommend a vendor? Has anybody bought tyres cheaply then taken them to ford for fitting?

- The Spare is still a virgin B)

Hi Jonny, I always but tyres of the internet, you have to save as much as you can when you replace 4 at a time on the BMW. ;) I then go down to my local National Tyres and they put them on for £10 a wheel, cash in hand, say no more, nudge, nudge, wink wink.

There are a few vendors on E-Bay.

The next two will do mail only or you can select to have them fitted at a garage local to you for extra cost and the cost is there to see when you select whichever tyre.

Black Circle

MyTyres

The following is Mail order only unless you live local and can pop in to their garage, I used these last week for mine and they were delivered next day and were the cheapest around for me.

Camskill

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club