Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help needed!!!

Max Darby

hello there, i am new to this so i apologise if this question has already been answered, or a similar thread has been opened.

I have recently purchased a Ford Fiesta Finesse, it is a W reg, so the year 2000.

i am just wondering, when i use the key with red tip, central locking does not seem to work, i am not totally sure it has central locking, but i persume a 2000 reg would have, as i have seen older models with this feature. I also persume that the red key is the master key? or am i wrong? a piece of information which may be useful to you, when i bought the car, the garage that MOT'd the car had to replace the drivers side door barrell, could this be the reason why central locking isn't working?

i am also wondering whether or not, it is possible to have remote central locking on this car model??

i appreciate any help i can get, as i am stumped, and the ford dealer just keeps trying to get me to spend money on things, rather than give me advice

Thanks!

Max

Hi

Yes the red key is the master key.

To check that the car has central looking you need to open the door and look at the door hinge down by where the check strap that stops the door opening to far is. You should see some wires in a rubber sleeve running from the door to the A pillar. If there is no central locking or electric windows there will be no wires as that is the only reason to have wires there.

Next if you have got central locking. You need to check that the new barrel was not damaged when it was fitted.

To do this All you have to do is see if the central locking works when you lock the car from the other door. If the central locking works then from the passenger side. Then the sensor in the barrel on the drivers side is faulty and it is not working.

As for remote central locking. You will need a remote key fob and new motors. A after market conversion might be cheaper than a genuine Ford one. I have never used them but I am told that fast fit are good for this.

Hi

To check that the car has central looking you need to open the door and look at the door hinge down by were the check strap that stops the door opening to far is. You should see some wires in a rubber sleeve running from the door to the A pillar. If there is no central locking or electric windows there will be no wires as that is the only reason to have wires there.

Next if you have got central locking. You need to check that the new barrel was not damaged when it was fitted.

To do this Al you have to do is see if the central locking works when you lock the car from the other door. If the central locking works then the sensor in the barrel on the faulty side is not working.

As for remote central locking. You will need a remote key fob and new motors. A after market conversion might be cheaper than a genuine Ford one. I have never used them but I am told that fast fit are good for this.

ok thanks very much, i will check that out in the morning, just to clear things up, when i say red key, i mean black with a red spot on the top? this is the master?

this is the only key i have, previous owner managed to loose all but this one

The red key was part of the old three key system.

This was replaced by the two key system witch is what your car has. So your car never had a red key.

Unfortunately as you are missing the other keys you can not program any other keys to that car without Fords help. As you need two programed keys to add any extra keys to the system rater than one master key. Hence the name - two key system

Hi

To check that the car has central looking you need to open the door and look at the door hinge down by where the check strap that stops the door opening to far is. You should see some wires in a rubber sleeve running from the door to the A pillar. If there is no central locking or electric windows there will be no wires as that is the only reason to have wires there.

Would you not have wires for Speakers? o_O

Speaker Cables?

ok thanks very much, i will check that out in the morning, just to clear things up, when i say red key, i mean black with a red spot on the top? this is the master?

Just to clear this up...

The "red spot" on the top of the key is a removable plastic housing which contains the keys Transponder (Chip). The chip is a tiny glass capsule that "talks" to the cars immobiliser, allowing the car to be started with that key. Basically the car sends out some signal that this chip picks up and returns to the car telling it that the key is legit, and not a dodgy fake copy, etc. The key does this without using any power.

If at some point in the future you want more keys making up for your car, you cant just get the key copied. The keys chip needs to be programmed to the immobiliser to work in the ignition (but not the doors - no chip necessary for opening the doors). To get this done you need to either get ford to do it for you at major expense, or get somebody else to do it who has the correct equiptment, for much cheaper.

I have used this guy in the past:

http://www.ford-car-keys.com/

And I highly recommend.

I don't mean to be rude but what is the point of having a key that can open a door but not start the car?

Surely that just complicates things?

To clear all this up-

Your car probably does not have central locking.

It will have wiring for the Speakers from the pillar to the door. The wiring for the right hand front door speaker will be white and black - yellow and black. The wring for the right hand front door central locking will be orange and blue - black.

If it has electric windows the wire will be violet and blue - black.

This is probably all irrelevant as the car probably does not have any of it.

I don't mean to be rude but what is the point of having a key that can open a door but not start the car?

Surely that just complicates things?

I don't think you're rude :)

Let me explain once more....

The key opens the door and starts the car. Any cut key will work and turn in both the locks and the ignition, but, for the key to actually work in the ignition to actually start the car, the transponder (PATS Chip) must be programmed to the the cars immobiliser.

The immobiliser controls the ignition, not the door locks.

Hope this helps

Jon

• 9 months later...

Jon

So if I have 1 key that works the CL but now today won't start the car and another key that is programmed, can I reprogram the other key to work again to start the car?

I have no master key! :(

If not, then do I have to take it to a Ford garage?

What sort of cost?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club