Jump to content



Member Since 02 Oct 2011
Offline Last Active Jun 24 2015 04:10 PM

Posts I've Made

In Topic: 1.8 Tdci Noise

26 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

If there is no noise when the belt is off, the noise is clearly coming from something being driven by the belt.

Obvious culprit for the rumbling sound would be the alternator - bearings do go, but 45k is a bit low (mine is 96k)
Try removing the belt and then - with the engine OFF - reach in and spin the pulley on the alternator. If it's silent, everything's good there. If it's noisy, you have your answer.

I had a new alternator fitted last week to my 2006 1.8 TDCi, cost £264 including labour & vat from a local garage (not a Ford dealer).

Could have bought a part for £160-ish from Euro Car Parts, but fitting it is another matter - the mechanic said he had to take other bits off to get access, and I'm not that confident.

In Topic: Hit By An Uninsured Driver!!!

26 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

If you don't mind me asking, how do you know the driver was uninsured?

Did you talk to him/her?
Do you have their name & address?

Or did they just drive off?

In Topic: Mk2 External Door Handles - Urgent Help Needed

22 July 2013 - 03:55 PM


As suspected, the Torx bolt moves an internal bracket that latches onto the small plastic piece.

However it's a left handed thread, so you have to careful.

The bracket wasn't in the right place, so it had to be adjusted twice : once to align the slots so that the trim would slide in place properly, and then adjusted to lock it into place.

Everything is now in place and fully secure.

Thanks for the advice chaps :-)

In Topic: Mk2 External Door Handles - Urgent Help Needed

22 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

Might have a go at accessing it via the little access cover, certainly worth a try.

Cheers for the help.

In Topic: Mk2 External Door Handles - Urgent Help Needed

21 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Steads.

So is the screw you mention the one I can see when I remove the little black cover above the door lock?

If so I think I can access it purely through that aperture, without needing to remove the inner panel. Then I just need a Torx screwdriver, which I can get from Halfords.

Or is there another screw? Or screws?