My friend recently bought the above car and as expected, the stock sound system is not great. It's a funny one as on paper it should be better since it has a 13cm woofer in the door and a 4cm ?tweeter mounted in the far corners of the dash.
She wanted a bit more functionality with Bluetooth calling/music streaming, usb, better overall sound quality and something that she would enjoy everyday on her way to work as she appreciates good quality music. I convinced her to go for a whole system overhaul and that I would install it all for her.
So, over the last month or so, I started doing a bit of research on the parts required for this project. I had gained enough experience from my own build and from the very helpful members of the forum to attempt to tackle this on our own.
These are the parts that will be installed in the car:
1. Headunit: Pioneer DEH-X5800BT (Bought off Amazon Warehouse deal)
2. Front Speakers: Focal 130A 1 - 13cm Component speakers 50W Rms (Bought off Ebay - Discount due to damaged box from Malta)
3. Subwoofer: Focal P21 V2 in a custom enclosure (Bought off Ebay seller who had it in his Toyota GT86 in the UK)
4. Single Din Dash kit and adapter from Connects2 including ISO connectors (Bought off Ebay)
5. Amplifier: Vibe SlickS4-V2 4 Channel amplifier - 70W Rms @4Ohms x 4 (Bought from Halfords with FOC Card discount)
6. Wiring Kit: Vibe Slick 8AWG amplifier kit (Bought from Halfords with FOC Card discount)
Over the past weekend, we managed to get the headunit installed and part of the wiring to the one speaker done. Taking off the headunit was the most troublesome as the video we found on YouTube had skipped a few steps and omitted to show where the screws holding the dash panels were. We managed to get another video that was more helpful and wiring the headunit was straight forward then. So far, the headunit with just the stock speakers is a significant improvement already. Taking out some trim panels, we managed to get the bundled mic in place and now Bluetooth calling was smooth as silk. Then we ran the sub out , speaker out wires and remote wire to the amplifier in the boot. Next, we decided to use the stock speakers as a mounting pod as it was riveted in the door. I had done the same on my car and this time round used a soldering iron to just melt the plastic holding the speaker magnet away. It worked out better than using a hacksaw and the result was cleaner than expected. I didn't have a dremel tool, so this was another option. After that started the tedious task of running wires from the amplifier to the speakers and making all the connections secure. Not being a professional, it took me longer than expected but having the right tools helped a lot especially a crimp tool and wire strippers.
We ran out of daylight on Day 2 as we had started late and had to stop. So far what's left to do is running the power wire to the amplifier in the rear through the firewall and wiring the right front side speaker/tweeter/crossover to the amplifier. After that, we have the tedious task of securing the tweeters to the sail panels at the appropriate angle. I expect that it will take a good bit of trial and error to get it right so that the soundstage is as wide as possible.
These are just a few photos of the progress so far and next Sunday, we will hopefully be finishing it all up. Then I will tune the whole system with a tuning cd and a multimeter so that it all runs smoothly.
Tink - Toyota Yaris:
Stock Tweeter location:
Stock woofer location:
Stock headunit in dashboard:
Headunit being taken out:
Door panel off with stock speaker:
Stock speaker hacked off closeup:
More pictures to follow...