Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo oil feed pipe

unofon

Help

I am in the process of changing the turbo on a 2006 1.6 tdci as it has failed

The turbo was fitted before we bought the car On finding the previous owner and tracking the garage that fitted the turbo it was sent back under warranty BUT they say it failed by not having oil

I removed it myself and on finding the YouTube  guide i removed the oil feed pipe and found the tiny filter was blocked 

HOWEVER i am puzzled as the two ends the one that goes on the block and the end that goes on the turbo are loose eg they twist round as per photo

Are they supposed to do this or do i need a new oil feed pipe  any advise please

oil2.jpg

oil1.jpg

I'm not sure if it should twist, feed pipes never used to but if both ends are the same I can't see it being a fault.  You are meant to replace the feed pipe when doing a turbo change on these anyway though, as the pipe could be partially blocked with carbon deposits as you've seen with the gauze filter.

Many thanks I was a bit puzzled will order just in case

As Tom says you are supposed to change it.  I believe they made a wider oil feed pipe after all the turbo issues.

Out of curiosity, which youtube vid are you using? 

I would drop the sump and clean it all out before changing the turbo

There isn't a proper sump gasket for these, you will need some liquid gasket for it.

The oil pump should also be removed and either replaced or cleaned while you're there.

It's also apparently good policy to remove the stupid gauze filters from the feed pipe/banjo bolt to stop the nice shiny new turbo from going pop.

The ends do twist on them by design, my original and new pipe both were like that.

you will probably know from googling it that this has been a problem form a huge number of owners and it happens again. But the problem there is that turbo fails so the turbo is replaced, but the cause of the turbo failure is not fixed so the new one fails prematurely. Restricted oil supply to the turbo bearings is what makes it fail as you now know.

some people say you should use flushing oil to clean out the engine but other people say don't do that as it loosens up a load of crud that then causes worse problems of blockages. 

anyway, whatever you do, after the engine is running again I would periodically check that filter to see if it looks like it is going to block again 

• Like 1

Also measure the amount of oil flowing through the turbo at idle. Disconnect the return oil line from the turbo and collect the oil. This should be at least 300 ml per minute. If the measured amount of oil is less than the specified minimum amount the engine must be considered scrap.

On my 1.6 tdci I had a look at the oil feed pipe / bolt. You want to make sure there is no crud in the little filter otherwise a built up of this would restrict oil getting to the turbo then starving it making it go. I undone the cat and moved it to one side to give space to remove that bolt. Luckily mine was spotless. Even though the previous owner of my car was a lier at least the owner before him serviced it regularly. Servicing you would need to be strict and keep up with with this engine so that dirt doesn't form and that you have good new oil flowing through. 

_20180109_180014.JPG

DSC_0130.JPG

_20180109_180101.JPG

• 5 years later...

Hi, new to the forum! So, in the process of trying a temporary fix on my top intercooler pipe - Ford Focus 1.8tdci (diesel) - the 3" tiny plastic tube came away from both ends where it attaches. I took it to Halfords, they said they were waiting to hear back from Ford and handed me back my keys. So, still driving my car, but thinking that surely, my car is going to go pop if it isn't sorted soon....am I right???? 

22 minutes ago, SarahGriff said:

but thinking that surely, my car is going to go pop if it isn't sorted soon.

No, yours is a 1.8 tdci engine. You need a 1.0 Ecoboom for it to pop !!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club