Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car key broken

Mojaz787

Hi my key broke in the ignition and I still have the remote bit of the key when the car got transported home the driver l locked the car using the remote and now unfortunately the car battery has gone flat and I can't open the locks is there a way of opening the bonnet with out the key.

Simple answer is no.  If you have the key code in the handbook you can get a simple blade cut for less than a tenner without immobiliser or anything just to open the bonnet.  A locksmith may be able to open it but not sure how much they'd charge but won't be cheap. 

You can break the front grill off, pull the key part out of the lock mechanism and then use a large flat head screwdriver to twist the bonnet catch open.  Obviously you'll require a new grill afterwards.

• Like 1

Tom's correct, It's next to impossible.

On an old MK1 with a broken bonnet locking mechanism I managed to get my arm up as far as the locking 'block' inside on the cross member and released the two bolts which hold it to the cross member. It was not easy and as I remember I  eventually broke the locking 'block'.

I have removed the retainers around the grill on my current car so that, in an situation like yours, I can pull out the grill without causing much damage.

No help to you now, though.

ScaniaPBman.

A decent Auto Locksmith would be able to read the lock with a tool and cut a key to match but it may cost a few quid.
Do you have key cover on your car insurance?

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

@Mojaz787 as Tomsfocus mentioned going through the grill n replacement is the only option for that bit, but if you get another key that matches yours ( ready to cut but make sure the blade is the same shape ) you'll only need that cut then transfer the internals of your old key including the transponder n you'll have a perfectly new working key, l did this for our MK1 focus the other day 👍

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ScaniaPBman said:

I have removed the retainers around the grill on my current car so that, in an situation like yours, I can pull out the grill without causing much damage

I'd have thought that would be regarded as compromising the security of the car so the insurance company might not be too happy about it.

Odb's comprise the security of nearly ever car now don't they ? N an even bigger laugh but not for the owners it's happened to like the Vauxhall Corsa D/E can be fully stripped down without setting the alarm off work that 1 out 😮

Edited by doggsbody

right so the problem is the battery is flat. so can you connect another battery to power up the electrics on the car? I do not know exactly where the starter motor is on this car.

But this might work. Jack up front of car (and safely support it). can you get to the starter motor - particularly the connection on it where the thick cable comes from the positive terminal of battery. So if you connect a wire from the positive terminal from a spare battery to this thick positive cable on the starter motor and connect another wire from the negative terminal of spare battery to the earth on the car, which means any bare metal on the chassis or the engine/gearbox .  you don't need thick cable as it is not going to use much power.  this should power the electrics for central locking to work. 

better then paying locksmith etc.

let us know if it helps/works

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club