Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem with Mountain Top Roll Cover

James Todd

I have a 2014 Ranger Limited truck with a Mountain Top Roll Cover. It has never caused me any problems until yesterday. The Cover unlocks but won’t budge from the closed position. With the tailgate down, I have had a good look at the handle locking mechanism but it appears to be working properly. It feels as if the Cover is stuck, particularly on the right hand side. I am struggling to find anyone who has experienced this problem and can’t find any local installers/repairers who could examine the Cover.

I would be grateful for any suggestions from members as to how I can resolve this problem.

Having worked on my Cover for 3 hours today, I finally discovered the cause of the problem when I removed the locking handle.

The cable which runs from the handle to the right hand side has snapped with the result that the locking pin on the right is not being released. This explains why I believe the Cover is sticking on that side.

I now know the cause but don’t know how to fix it. Would be grateful for any suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Just to update everyone.........

i contacted Mountain Top at their Danish HQ and asked them to sell me a replacement cable. They were initially reluctant to do that, apparently because they have had problems in the past with owners buying the cables, trying to install them themselves, making a botch of it and then blaming and trying to claim against Mountain Top. However, after a bit of discussion and persuasion, Mountain Top very kindly sent me both a left hand and right hand cable free of charge. The broken right hand cable has now been replaced by the coachbuilders who originally installed my cover and it is now working fine again. 

• 1 year later...

Hi I have a 2013 ford wild track with a mountain top cover on it . I’m having trouble with it openings as soon as I drive down the road has anyone experience this problem?. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2020 at 8:38 PM, Chris haa said:

Hi I have a 2013 ford wild track with a mountain top cover on it . I’m having trouble with it openings as soon as I drive down the road has anyone experience this problem?. 

I have a 2014 Wildtrack and I have the same problem

• 11 months later...

Good Moring Rangers, My wife has a 2016 Wildtrak which she absolutely loves (It's called Tonto)  but we have fallen foul of a problem with the Mountain Roll Top. The nearside will not release. Problem is that the neaside cable has rusted through and parted.  (Cannot believe they are not Stainless Steel Cables to start with) Anyway, the Mountain top videos do not show how to replace the cables without apparently removing the entire unit from the vehicle. MT Denmark have helpfully suggested we drive 350 miles to the apparently only dealer to have it dealt with but due to current financial restraints that ain't happenin'! This we presume is now a common failing and we are hoping some clever person has sorted a sensible fix for it (My best idea is to drill/cut an access hole in the underside of the beam hopefully below the locking pin to fit the new cable?) Anyone tried that or has an solution please? Otherswise the vehilce is great, we can even see in the dark Cornish lanes now having boosted the full beam headlamps to a combined 340watts with a few proper spotlights. Almost melts falling snow!. Stay safe all and enjoy your vehicles. Nigel Parkes

• 5 months later...

Hi all, unfortunately I also have the same issue. I've realised the cable in the nearside has snapped due to rust. I've managed to source the replacement cable, however the issue I have is the fact the lock remains closed (and will not unlock) despite the cable being broken. Any suggestions on how to deal with it or even where to take would be appreciated. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club