Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 3 update

NeilRS

I have noticed that media files are now showing the correct album art rather than gracenote icons, however my voice control is occasionally becoming unavailable [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

3 hours ago, Jim610 said:

So, Are you telling me the file I have on my PC for a Sync 3 update that I got from https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/ is different to the Sync 3 Update that ford would download from what you called IDS?

Really?

Are you telling me there are actually 2 versions of the update out there?  Sorry, but I find it hard to believe.

I will match the two files Monday and we will see.

H

Well, after extensive research this is what I've found. There is more than one update file, indeed, there may be many.

Interestingly Mrs Hamsters Fiesta is a newer build than my Edge. There is an update available on the web for it. The web update looks at the VIN you enter and the vehicle options it has and tailors the update to the vehicle and the options fitted which work through or alongside Sync3. The Fiesta's Sync3 version is later than mine.

There is no update available on the web for my Edge which has an earlier version of Sync3. These early versions of Sync3  cannot be updated with the web interface even though confusingly the web reports the vehicle is up to date when it is not. What it should say is there is no update available.

For these early Sync 3 builds the vehicle needs to be connected to IDS and a full software update must be installed via IDS\FDRS and finally a USB transfer to the vehicle.

Hope this helps

H

OK, thanks for that.

When I put my VIN into the website I was offered a Sync 3 update which I have downloaded.  Should I update?  Does it give me anything I currently don't have? 

When it comes to software updates, (with my knowledge of software driven aeroplanes) I am always sceptical as invariable when something is fixed, something else gets broken.  Will the later version of Sync 3 carry out web updates?

Any advice gratefully received.

Yes, if you put the correct VIN into the website and your update file is named after your VIN then update it. Before you do that I would be interested to for you to note the version of Sync3 you have, thats in settings:about. Then update and note the new version and let me have both.

Ford and their updates are a bit of a dark art, I cannot find a list of things that are fixed, however one of the things that it should fix is that the wifi update feature in Sync3 should work afterwards.

In truth. God knows, maybe you'll gain an extra gear!!

H

Hamster thanks for this, so to clarify:

Download appropriate update for the VIN Number.

Load to USB Memory Stick.

Install Software in car.

Then Sync 3 "should" be able to update itself via wifi.

I’ve done my download and update and whilst before this, when searching on WiFi for an update, it would scan for a few seconds then say there wasn’t one, now it scans for an eternity.  So far I haven’t had the patience to wait to see what it has to say.

On 13/04/2018 at 9:39 PM, Paul W. H said:

Hamster thanks for this, so to clarify:

Download appropriate update for the VIN Number.

Load to USB Memory Stick.

Install Software in car.

Then Sync 3 "should" be able to update itself via wifi.

Yep, that's it, don't forget to note and post the before and after Sync3 version.

• 4 weeks later...

Carried out the update with some before and after pictures.  Other than what I have highlighted I haven't seen any other obvious change other than the anoying "do you want to view wifi networks" splash screen.

Before:

5af1babc976a6_Softwarebefore.thumb.jpg.55ce55498c49ffd00ebb66ff527183c0.jpg

5af1bab08a7e6_Homebefore.thumb.jpg.4404432472360dc235f12440ef276604.jpg

After:

5af1baa7d3899_SoftwareAfter.thumb.jpg.fbffbcaecdb107c73949f328ecfc95a1.jpg

5af1bac60c625_Homeafter.thumb.jpg.54134064876c456150b7935d3f4554dc.jpg

• Like 1

Thankfully it gets bored asking you about Wi-fi networks after a week or so. That was irritating but it’s stopped now so all good. 

• Like 1

I too updated my Sync3 over the weekend. The process was a bit unorthodox but seems to have worked fine. My Sync3 was Ver 2.0. As we’ve previously seen, this is a bit too early for the usual web update but there was one available for Mrs Hamsters Fiesta which was Sync3 Ver 2.3.

I used to use Android Auto and Waze but with an iPhone this is not possible. Apple CarPlay forces you to use Apple Maps which are not so good.

Ford have an updated AppLInk which allows the use of Waze on Sync 3 but this requires Sync3 Ver 3.0

So, having downloaded the zip file for the Fiesta I had a quick look at the zip contents. These did not seem vehicle specific so, impatient as I am, I loaded the Fiesta update on the Edge :w00t:

Three things could have happened :-

1.       It failed

2.       It worked

3.       It bricks it (Call Ford Assist!!)

Actually, it worked, with the visible changes listed earlier in this post.

The update doesn't seem to have updated the maps but i wasn't looking for that.

Buoyed by this success and after a few Google searches on other forums there is another update to take the Software from 18025 to 18093. There is also a third update to do with GraceNote which also fixes a download error whilst on WiFi.

So, all good so far and I’m using Waze, through the cars Sync3 screen.

So far so good. But if you try this the onus is definitely on you!!

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

I was under the impression that the Sync3 firmware update package was taylored to each VIN number, i.e. build options, configuration, etc. So I'm a little confused now!

Yep, so was I. But after downloading the update file for the Fiesta, which is just an ordinary zip file, the files in it appear to be generic. They update things which every Sync3 has.

It wasn't a very scientific look. Just enough to get me to think it might work, which it did.

H

2 hours ago, simonb65 said:

I was under the impression that the Sync3 firmware update package was taylored to each VIN number, i.e. build options, configuration, etc. So I'm a little confused now!

It’s not tailored to the car, but if you download it through Ford official channels, the VIN is embedded in the download, so that once you download it and update your car, you plug in your USB to your PC afterwards, causing a marker to be uploaded to Ford, against your VIN, so if you later check for an update, it will only show any later updates available.

The file i downloaded, the Fiesta one, was named after a random Focus ST from Germany.

I put the VIN in ETIS and i came up as an unregistered Orange Focus ST with a German marker. Its probably a production test vehicle.

Next time the Edge is connected to IDS, and then FDRS, they can do a software version check and update the software log.

Maybe it will be listed as a Fedge.

H

This morning I was made aware of a Ford.co.uk site also offering updates :-

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

But its still no use to some of us as it says my Edge is up to date when clearly it was not, now it is though so God knows whats going on!!

H

Thats the site i have used and says my sync 3 is up to date, like you say were do you go from here.

here

Just entered my VIN into above site and it found an update available for my sync 3. Downloaded it and will try install over the weekend.

18 hours ago, eddiek said:

Just entered my VIN into above site and it found an update available for my sync 3. Downloaded it and will try install over the weekend.

What was the build date of your EDGE?

1 hour ago, simonb65 said:

What was the build date of your EDGE?

Build date  19-01-2017.        It updated on 3rd attempt in about ten minutes.  Cant see much difference so far??   Maps still same version.   

I’ve had ongoing usb and CarPlay issues with mine so was pleased  to see this update. However as of yet my unit fails to update. Running v2.3 currently and have downloaded the new update, formatted a usb stick as exfat, copied files over and put in the USB port on the car with the engine running. 

Sync 3 does nothing. 

Tried a 64gb and an 8gb. As a test I tried some media files and they don’t get seen either. Put a few mp3s on a 4gb stick formatted as fat32 and it sees them. 

So Q: did you format your usb sticks as exfat as per the instructions? What size usb stick did you use?

exFAT and 8 GB for me.  Worked first time but it takes car about 8 mins before it even recognises the USB stick and starts, as per the instructions.

Mines was formatted exFat and 16Gb stick.  First time I left it for at least an hour,  it said updating system but never got to the final screen. At that point i had to reset to factory settings to clear the updating message.  Second attempt it went black after ten  minutes but didn't update.   Third time i got  your system is updated  banner.    Phew !

Hi Eddiek, I also attempted to updated via flash drive, it seemed to take a long time and I turned the engine off and got messages on the screen. Second attempt was more successful but I could not get the flash drive to upload back to Ford to update their end, kept getting error. The car was booked into the dealer ages ago so it went in this week to try and resolve a slow boot up issue with the maps on sync 3. Ford had said if I was having problems with flash drive then the dealer would resolve. So he uploaded the the same update which was successful and he got it verified by Ford, he added that sometimes updates are done but are in fact corrupt that is why they wont update back to Fords. However, it made no difference to my problem and the dealer said yet another update is coming shortly to resolve bugs so it down to me to watch out for it. The dealer said if the next update does not work and I an doubtful as why isn't it affecting other users he will change the SYNC 3 unit. He also added that Ford had said for some reason the Edge has the slowest boot up but as the dealer said 45 seconds from start to finish is a long time. He also added that SYNC 3.2 is being launched on the new Focus so after 3 months of ownership I am already out of date - apparently 3.2 is a complete new unit

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club