Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 EcoBoost vs 1.5 EcoBoost - which to get?

Jorg

I’m struggling to find a 1.5 EcoBoost petrol while there are many 1.0 EcoBoost with 125bhp around. 

I heard rumours about the 1.0 being a bad engine which isn’t reliable and has lots of problems. 

I did a bit of research on the Internet and on here and it seems the problems are mostly related to older models. 

So now I have a choice to either get a 2015 / 2016 1.5 EcoBoost or a 2016 / 2017 1.0 EcoBoost. What would you guys based on experience do?

1 hour ago, Jorg said:

I’m struggling to find a 1.5 EcoBoost petrol while there are many 1.0 EcoBoost with 125bhp around. 

I heard rumours about the 1.0 being a bad engine which isn’t reliable and has lots of problems. 

I did a bit of research on the Internet and on here and it seems the problems are mostly related to older models. 

So now I have a choice to either get a 2015 / 2016 1.5 EcoBoost or a 2016 / 2017 1.0 EcoBoost. What would you guys based on experience do?

The newer builds of the EB 1.0 have an uprated coolant pipe fitted and also an extra pump that keeps pumping coolant through the turbo when required, even if the engine has been turned off.  The 125 BHP version of the engine comes with the 6 speed box is lovely to drive although like all turbo petrol engines it can't deliver performance AND economy at the same time.

The 1.5 EB has had it's own issues in relation to an apparently rather irritating rattle (there have been at least 2 threads on here about the issue), Ford reckoned it was "by design".  It's also not a particularly modern engine so isn't great on the old economy front and isn't as keen to rev out as the 1.0 EB so can feel a little sluggish/strangled.

Personally I'd go for the 125 BHP 1.0 EB IF it's a late enough version that it has the additional pump circuit to ensure everything gets cooled down properly even after the engine if shut down.  I personally think it's much nicer to drive (when you want to have fun) and on a steady motorway run on cruise control, will still deliver 50(ish) MPG.

EDIT - I found the rather lengthy thread where the 1.5 EB rattle issue was discussed 1.5 EB rattle issue thread link

Edited by 1979Damian
Edit for forum thread link insertion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/03/2018 at 11:28 PM, 1979Damian said:

The newer builds of the EB 1.0 have an uprated coolant pipe fitted and also an extra pump that keeps pumping coolant through the turbo when required, even if the engine has been turned off.  The 125 BHP version of the engine comes with the 6 speed box is lovely to drive although like all turbo petrol engines it can't deliver performance AND economy at the same time.

The 1.5 EB has had it's own issues in relation to an apparently rather irritating rattle (there have been at least 2 threads on here about the issue), Ford reckoned it was "by design".  It's also not a particularly modern engine so isn't great on the old economy front and isn't as keen to rev out as the 1.0 EB so can feel a little sluggish/strangled.

Personally I'd go for the 125 BHP 1.0 EB IF it's a late enough version that it has the additional pump circuit to ensure everything gets cooled down properly even after the engine if shut down.  I personally think it's much nicer to drive (when you want to have fun) and on a steady motorway run on cruise control, will still deliver 50(ish) MPG.

EDIT - I found the rather lengthy thread where the 1.5 EB rattle issue was discussed 1.5 EB rattle issue thread link

Thanks for the info. I’ll go and test drive a 125bhp 1.0 Liter. 

What is a late enough version? 

I would buy a late 2016 or early 2017 which comes with Sync 3. I’m guessing that’s late enough, right? 

I test drove a 1.0 litre ecoboost with 125bhp today. 

It’s actually ok but it didn’t feel as powerful as the 1.5

The 1st and 2nd gear felt a bit sluggish but from the 3rd it was actually fine. I guess it’s enough power to live with though. 

• Like 1

The 125 1 litre is a great engine plenty of poke and a real hooligans machine if you want it to be, as has been said the later version are well sorted, it's the one thing I miss about the missus leaving me I can't get to drive a 125 bhp Fiesta, can't comment about it in a Focus but a friend had one and thought it was great.

• Like 1

I’ve been reading about the Bluefin remapping. Apparently with the remap the 1.0 litre 125bhp gets a good amount of extra power. I think that’s what I’ll do. 

• Like 1

my 100hp with bluefin has more than enough power for my needs. 

• Like 1

Bought 2017 1.0 litre 125bhp ecoboost today. If you rev it a bit it actually has decent power. I might still go for the Bluefin though. So far I’m happy but let’s see in a few months. 

• 1 month later...

Don't forget you can get a 30 second boost increase when overtaking if need be.

• 1 year later...

So? Happy with it so far? I am considering purchasing a 2017 1.0 ECB with 125hp and maybe do the bluefin. My only experience with a 1.0 ECB was about 3 years ago for about an hour. It was the 2014 version with 100hp but it was pretty fun to drive. Any input from you guys will be greatly appreciated. 

On 3/28/2018 at 3:09 PM, Jorg said:

Thanks for the info. I’ll go and test drive a 125bhp 1.0 Liter. 

What is a late enough version? 

I would buy a late 2016 or early 2017 which comes with Sync 3. I’m guessing that’s late enough, right? 

Definately go for the later 2017/2018 MK3.5s with the sync3 system and with the best spec possible, they can be quite spartan on spec on basic models

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 2:00 PM, iantt said:

my 100hp with bluefin has more than enough power for my needs. 

Hi Ian,

You have the Focus 1.0 EcoBoost with 100hp remapped with Bluefin map? 

If yes, can you please tell me how long have you driven the Focus, did you had/have any problems related to the clutch, flywheel that manage the extra torque that is generated by the engine?

I just bought 1.0 EcoBoost (model 2019) and I want to remap the ECU.

Regards,

T

hi, sold the focus now, but had the blufin on for 5 years(mk3 2013) , no issues with clutch/flywheel gearbox. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2020 at 12:39 AM, iantt said:

hi, sold the focus now, but had the blufin on for 5 years(mk3 2013) , no issues with clutch/flywheel gearbox. 

Thank You Ian for replying and the comment. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club